Diablo II LOD

what happens when it's done prancing :)
gather here and organize yer dungeon crawls.
cuz it's nice to pretend we're not old

Postby Pappy » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:19 am

lol@Funka!

Too True. Owl tends to go off on these tangents from time to time with no real substance attached.

Ya know Nightowl, you have threatened many times to play GW, so how about it? What's the hold up?
Semper Fi !

Pappy

Pappy
Semper Fi

Postby Niteowl » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:24 am

I HAVE played, then I got bored, then I uninstalled, then I played som B&W, then I played some Civ3, then some CS Zombie, then some NS:Combat...Now I"m back to the wonderful clickfest that is Pokem.. I mean D2.. yeah.. GOTTA GET EM ALL!
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

Postby Funka! » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:20 pm

wasn't i just predicting this would happen soon the other night we played together, owl?
(well, the other week?)

-f!
Funka!
OldF Rockstar
OldF Rockstar

Re: Diablo II LOD

Postby Niteowl » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:58 am

I SO didn't reinstall this and am playing on Bnet West with a level 25 (potential)orb/met sorceress!! HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE ME OF SUCH THINGS!!!
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl

Postby Florp Incarnate » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:48 pm

My Dad still plays :)

Although he's playing a lot of Hellgate London lately too. Tried that yet?
Florp Incarnate
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord

Postby Niteowl » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:51 pm

Not yet, I hear it doesn't live up to the hype. Does Acturix (was that his handle?) think it's a decent enough spiritual successor to D2?
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl

Postby Florp Incarnate » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:54 am

Zarg.

And no, we both agree that D2LOD is way better.

Hellgate is first person, true, but the level design is super repetitive and uninteresting. I mean, I suppose D2 had repetitive tile sets, but it didn't seem important.

Also, D2 had an inexplicable "mood" to it... the tombs in act 2... the palace harem in act 3... the decrepit, overgrown docks in act 4. The environments were just so emotionally expressive. Hellgate's environments say nothing to me.

The game mechanics of Hellgate are interesting and hold interest for a while, though.

I can't wait to see what Blizzard comes up with for the next Diablo.

Unfortunately, Blizzard is now working on a "next generation MMO" which leaves me with a sick lump in my stomach. I hope they don't profane Diablo with that garbage like they did with Warcraft.
Florp Incarnate

Postby Anonymoose » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:34 am

I don't think they can. WoW already borrows too much from Diablo. If anything, I'm guessing it'll either be a Starcraft MMO, or something brand new.

As for what made Diablo so great and immersive, I'd have to say it was the music. It really reinforced the feeling of being a lone wanderer in a dangerous land. I still get chills when I hear the music from the first level...
1f u c4n r34d this u probably remember what my sig used to be and are missing it as much as I am :(
Anonymoose
Doddering Old Fool

Postby Florp Incarnate » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:35 pm

^ Agreed, Diablo 2 music was AMAZING.

/me goes hunting for mp3's
Florp Incarnate

Postby Faust » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:07 am

Am I the only one who missed out on the D2 experience!?

After reading the above posts, I'm totally piqued about the possibility of D2 Lan goodness in the next couple of weeks.

*Awaits comments about why someone named Faust never played D2, let alone D1*
Faust
Fogey
Fogey

Postby CanadianWolverine » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:23 am

Faust wrote:Am I the only one who missed out on the D2 experience!?

After reading the above posts, I'm totally piqued about the possibility of D2 Lan goodness in the next couple of weeks.

*Awaits comments about why someone named Faust never played D2, let alone D1*

Hey, I know how you feel, I missed out on Diablo 2 as well, I did however get to click persistently and pack loot to the surface endlessly in Diablo 1 though, even its expansion, where I got to play a monk ... that didn't quite work so well.
Check it out! I finally figured out where to make a avatar that will fit on the forums! http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/
CanadianWolverine
Cutest. Baby. Evar.
Cutest. Baby. Evar.

Postby Anonymoose » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

I still twitch when I hear the *ding* that the game made when a ring dropped...
1f u c4n r34d this u probably remember what my sig used to be and are missing it as much as I am :(
Anonymoose
Doddering Old Fool

Postby BigDXLT » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:37 pm

I missed the whole Diablo 2 thing as well. I did sort of play it with a bunch of friends my second or third year of college (gogogo residence lan) but I might have put maybe 4-5 hours total into it.

All I can remember was one guy would fly across a map and get annoyed when I was off lost looking at a rock.
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby M373ora Fr34k » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:21 pm

Hmm I play, but SP only >_>

I defied the critics; beat hell difficulty with a pure lightning sorcereress a couple weeks back :D

Trying to get my concentrate barb through 8-player difficulty hell now. Do so only if you're a masochist, and I'm a masochist >_>
I fear the Onos.

Find me on oldf servers as

"M373ora Fr34k" or "Dances With Skulks" or "Dies With Honor X_X"
M373ora Fr34k
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Niteowl » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:00 am

WTH? Lightning only? what are you hitting the monsters with? Thunderstorm?! What do you do with teh immune guys? Just let your merc tank 'em?!
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl

PreviousNext

Return to The Feeble Pony (RPG Forum)