If anyone is looking for other MMO's to try...

what happens when it's done prancing :)
gather here and organize yer dungeon crawls.
cuz it's nice to pretend we're not old

If anyone is looking for other MMO's to try...

Postby zolop » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:44 pm

Heres recent ones I've played so Far

(For Monkey and Ghost)

Auto Assualt

Was in Beta Testing...

A simple game that is mainly drawn out be destroying other objects/cars. A map is given to the player but it isn't very discriptive. Been so long ago I was in the Beta that I don't want to type any more about it. AA might have changed much from the Beta...

Lineage 2

Interface is good. Key layout is about average. You can fly on a mounted Drake. You can Sub Class (Maximuim 3). Haven't touched the Crafting system if Lineage 2 has one. Has PVP servers and non PVP. You can take a castle with your Guild and own it/defend it from other guilds.

Having not used guild system, I do not know what to put in this sentence... hehe.. Is has to be good?

Graphics are Very good and the characters look more life-like instead of cartoony (compared to WoW). I have limited experience in this game so the music in the beginning areas was good too. I don't know about the other areas, as I haven't visited.

Horizons

Interface is very customizable. Key layout is about average. You can fly as a Dragon. You can multi class (Multiclass, many). Crafting system is unique. Only PvsE or RP-PvsE. It is possible to buy your own land and build on it. Also own Guild land and defend it from enemy NPCs.

Guild system is done well. Guild members are allowed to add events to the calendar for players to look at in game. Also athoer guild members to get a detail info window about a guild member.

Graphics are average, but Art Direction is unique. Music in most areas is very good and Horizons music achieves the same greatness from AO (Shadowslands Specifically).

Installation and download is a pain. Loading certain areas take a good amunt of time (compared to WoWs short load time).

Anarchy Online

Interface is somewhat cumbersome with too many windows/UI elements. Key layout is above average. You cannot Multiclass but with 250 levels there is a great amount of VAriety in building a character as the highest level is 250. You can buy your own land, cities and defend them from alien invasions. Also you can buy Notum Fields and protect them from other groups/players. Notum fields is where players can get a income. Build defensive towers and allows bouneses to players defending their field. Possible to setup your own shop in the your city.

Guild System allows TAxation for players involved in the guild. Allowing guild members to buy equipment or other items for guild. Other than that I do not know much about the AO guild system.

Graphics comparably is average for teh most part. THough the graphics are slightly better than Horizons. The graphics and art direction for Shadowlands specifically is very good. I would dare to say even in shadowlands teh art/graphics is better than WoW.
zolop
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Tainted-Beef » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:19 pm

WoW

This game rules, and everyone plays it. Yay WoW.

EvE online

Beef's co-workers play it so it must be cool. Yay EvE.
ImageImageImageImage
Tainted-Beef
Unwilling Provider of Filet Mignon
Unwilling Provider of Filet Mignon

Postby MonkeyPrime » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:05 pm

WoW
Fantasy themed, in the Warcraft world.

Awesome game. If you've never played it it's good to play. I stick with my earlier review of the game - "It'll be fun for 3-6 months until you've 'beatten' the game, and then you stop playing". Unfortunately there hasn't been anything else out there to catch my attention, and I now continue on my quest for 1000 levels.

In the words of the all-famous Beefy -- "There are 7 million players of WoW, so it's easier to feel less like a nerd"

EVE
Futuristic Spaceship theme.

Neat concept. Slow start. Expect to spend your first few days doing very boring things, and having to get up at odd hours to change your skills (unless you are willing to not train quickly). Very good low-maint game. I sometimes play it in the background while I play WoW.

Has PvP, but I haven't been able to play with this yet. Unlike most spaceship games, you don't get to actually "fly" your ship, and instead use a point/click navigation of telling your ship to fly to an object (or orbit it at a certain distance, or approach to a certain distance).

Neat idea on skills, where your "experience" is based directly on your stats, and the skill you are "training". Training actually occurs regardless of when you are online or offline. Stats determine how fast you "learn" the next level of the skill. Cool skill trees and very large system of crafting, skills and items in the game (at least it seems large now).

Horizons
Fantasy theme.

Some very good ideas here that are well implemented. Very neat ideas for "multiclassing", and some rather interesting (if pointless) crafting ideas. Don't listen to Zolop. After hearing him talk about the game for close to a month about how good it is, Ghost and I both levelled our starting characters past his in less then 2 hours. I actually did it on two different characters.

Still very much Beta. Character avatars look like crap, unless you are a dragon or dryad. UI is clunky until you get used to it's intricacies. Needs more work on it's hotkeys, and really needs to work on the little menial tasks that it forces you to do. For example, crafting. As a dragon you innately have all the "crafting tools" (you eat everything), but if you want to mine something up you have to press the "special key" to configure your mouth for mining. If you want ot dig up some stone, you have to hit the "special quarry" key to do the exact same thing.

Very, very clunky interface.

Also, can't move around with just the mouse (must use two hands to move and look around). The mouse seems underutilized for a lot of things.

Did I mention it has a clunky interface?

Oh, and the art sucks. "Unique direction" means not enough talent/skill/effort (mostly the latter) to do it correctly. Avatars look very pixilated and badly formed. Creatures look better, but that's because they are all natural (read easy to model) creatures that require little detail. The day/night cycle is faster then in WoW, but has about the same impact (makes things lighter/darker). The sky flickers colors as you move around, which has a neat psychedelic effect, but is otherwise annoying and causes mild nausea. Other parts of the landscape are rendered really nicely (shrines, "help stations"), though they seem fewer then those that are inately ugly.

I'd post some of these thoughts on their forums so they could potentially look at addressing some of them, but I can't seem to find any way to give any sort of feedback, much less find the forums.

Has lots of promise (even if it is a carebare game), and Ghost has gotten me to promise to "give it it's two weeks", so expect more info forthcoming.

Auto Assault
Car Apocolypse theme.

Neat game. I really like the twist on the MMO genre this provides. Large crafting stuff to do (can you tell I like crafting?). Interesting missions, and fun combat. I played the game for awhile but it didn't have the player base to support the game.

Archlord
Fantasy theme.

Don't know much about this anymore. I signed up for beta testing (and recently got my acceptance email) cause at the time I thought there were some really cool ideas in the game. Of course, 3 months later I can't remember what they were, and their reliance on FilePlanet to host their client turns me off (I don't want a FilePlanet account).

[b]Silk road online[\b]
Oriental Fantasy theme.

This game has one thing going for it... Jamon used to play it. Besides that, it was a free game. Not very interesting as games go, however, and at least 50% of the people playing it don't speak english (which makes it hard to do anything).
Frungy! Frungy! Frungy!
MonkeyPrime
Fogey
Fogey

Postby shipwreck » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:53 pm

Meridian 59

Oldy but a goody...I think. I haven't played since they resurrected it. In fact I don't even know if it's still around...I should check.

Saga of Ryzom
Very original game with a great crafting system, highly detailed world to travel in, but a sub-par combat system. The idea of 'stanzas' is cool because you put moves together but, at the end of the day it's still the same point and click 'attack' combat system with a few more brain cells. The crafting system of great and, like I said, the sci-fantasy setting is very cool.

If the EVE bug hadn't bitten me I'd probably be playing this. There's an unlimited free trial so check it out.

Seed

Good, incredibly original idea but fully unrealized. This is one to watch to see if the devs ever fix it. Otherwise, don't touch it.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby zolop » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:31 pm

MonkeyPrime wrote:[ Don't listen to Zolop. After hearing him talk about the game for close to a month about how good it is, Ghost and I both levelled our starting characters past his in less then 2 hours. I actually did it on two different characters.

Cough, Cough.. they were my first impressions.. as I said in Thread. I have little experience in the game at that time and since my Job ran out and was helping out with WOW, as I didn't have much time to play... :P

Also I was trying out many different MMO's from Lineage, Auto Assault, EVE, Necron2, RF Online and Second Life..

heres teh thread..
http://nsoldfogies.dyndns.org/phpBB2/vi ... ght=#60941

and some reply to your reply... :)

MonkeyPrime wrote:Still very much Beta. Character avatars look like crap, unless you are a dragon or dryad. UI is clunky until you get used to it's intricacies. Needs more work on it's hotkeys, and really needs to work on the little menial tasks that it forces you to do. For example, crafting. As a dragon you innately have all the "crafting tools" (you eat everything), but if you want to mine something up you have to press the "special key" to configure your mouth for mining. If you want ot dig up some stone, you have to hit the "special quarry" key to do the exact same thing.

Very, very clunky interface.

Agree with most of the graphical issues..

The interface definately has some noteably weaknesses. Like teh ones you mentioned. THe ability to modify every window that comes up in the game is defenately not a bad thing though. Also having a "Start" button makes things more easy to find. Though to your point monkey a bad example of the interface is the group invite system. having to type /gi name to invite a player is old and needs to be updated.

MonkeyPrime wrote:Oh, and the art sucks. "Unique direction" means not enough talent/skill/effort (mostly the latter) to do it correctly.

Disagree in with the quote in general for most games...

WoW has a unique art Direction with cartoony, non-lifelike characters. on the flip side Lineage 2/Dark and Light both have a ilife like characters. Or take the art from Auto Assualt and Compare it to Everquest Series...

Another Example is Shoadowlands, a expansion for AO shadowlands got good reviews and was called "A bright new addition to the AO universe, Shadowlands is a textbook example of how to do an expansion for an MMORPG." from PC Gamer..
PC Gamer US
"Probably the biggest, most well-planned add-on that any online game has ever received. Excellent."

Gamespy
http://www.gamerankings.com/itemranking ... wid=297746
zolop
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Pykl » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:50 pm

Eve won an award for best pvp of any mmo. Many people I know say it's pvp is way better than any other they've tried. It's the strength of this game though you need a good source of income to support the lost ships/modules. The depth of this game far exceeds any other I've tried which includes daoc etc.
Pykl
Elder
Elder

Postby shipwreck » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:48 am

Pykl wrote:Eve won an award for best pvp of any mmo. Many people I know say it's pvp is way better than any other they've tried. It's the strength of this game though you need a good source of income to support the lost ships/modules. The depth of this game far exceeds any other I've tried which includes daoc etc.

Agreed. It's kind of like chess on speed with a lot more 'pew pew'.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby Sancho » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:58 am

Runescape

Don't ever play this.
Sancho
Sensuous Señor Sombrero
Sensuous Señor Sombrero

Postby Beasty » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:30 pm

This is your life before WoW

This is your life after WoW

Take it as you please.

It can either be a good thing. You ate a wonderful pie :) and now you feel good. BUT you are left with no pie. That makes you sad :(

At least thats what my friend says.
Beasty
Fogey
Fogey

Postby zolop » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:31 pm

Getting rich very fast, in teh past 2-3 days I've scored 200 Silver (200,000 Copper) b/c everyone knows I am a newb. I'll let you guys guess what game... hehe

Me like community so far :)
zolop
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Special K » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:02 pm

I signed up for the 14 day EVE trial and I'm very impressed. I really like how the training works in contrast to WoW's 250 hour grind to level 60 and the graphics are much prettier. If I can squeeze any money out of my starving-student budget, I'll definately pick this up.
Special K
Over the Hill

Postby shipwreck » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:57 am

Special K

Don't hesitate to look me up.

Thought of another game...
Space Cowboy Online
Played it for about a month until the client stopped working and I didn't want to reinstall it (so I picked up EVE). It's a reasonably fun, free space shooter but the community is a joke.

http://sco.gpotato.com
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby clamatius » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:09 pm

Technically, it's not a MMO - but it does feel a lot like one. Guild Wars. I'm a big fan - the PvP is excellent.

Many other fogies are also playing this game although things are quite quiet right now in the pre-release lull. Speaking of which, a free preview weekend starts this Friday. Here's the scoop.
Obligatory blog link.
clamatius
Domo Arigato...
Domo Arigato...

Postby shipwreck » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:37 am

I need to hook that up. I've been meaning to try Guild Wars and the fact there is no monthly fee is very appealing.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Return to The Feeble Pony (RPG Forum)