Lord of the Rings Online - Beta

what happens when it's done prancing :)
gather here and organize yer dungeon crawls.
cuz it's nice to pretend we're not old

Lord of the Rings Online - Beta

Postby shipwreck » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:53 am

Good news, though I'm not sure for whom. The NDA is lifted from the LotRO beta so I can tell you about what a...dull game it is. Prior to this my response to any talk of the beta has been, "Well I might know a guy who might be involved with what could maybe be described as the beta of a game that may be called Lord of the Rings...and it may be online". But no more! If you want my two pence keep reading (I'll keep it short).

Have you played WoW? Have you read the Lord of the Rings? No? The Hobbit maybe? Okay, good. Smash them together and you have LotRO: The Shadow of Angmar. Is this a bad thing? Yes and no; it's the standard, solid, tried and true MMOG style of WoW shelled with Hobbits, Dwarves and Ringwraiths with a few more cinematic/storytelling elements and a lot less PVP. The following is based on about 10 hours of gameplay. I've played three characters, the highest of which is only level 7, mainly because I've been preoccupied with EVE and DoD. Does this mean I'm not an authority on the subject? Certainly not - if the game were better it could have drawn me away from the latter two.

Now I am particularly biased for several reasons. One is the fact that I've played just about every MMOG that was released up to a year ago so I'm more than a little jaded. Secondly, I'm a Tolkien nut and to make a game about it would be quite akin to making a game about my wife; you had better do it right or you can expect a swift kick to the bread basket from Ol' Shippy. My problem with LotRO is that it's just boring. My main is a dwarf and in the starting instance you're helping Thorin and co. get ready for their trip to the Lonely Mountain. You find a cave troll and Gandalf arrives to save the day. After the instance there is a loading screen and you're in Thorin's hall years after the trip at about the time Frodo is leaving the Shire. What?! What a strange intro. After that you're in a quest series that takes you all over the Blue Mountains, finding out why the Dourhands (apparently a dwarf clan made up by Turbine) suck so hard and have been harrassing the Longbeards. You find out they're in league with Sauron and you team up with Dwalin to kill their leaders.

That ends your business in Thorin's Hall and sets you off.

Hopefully the game opens up after this; I wouldn't know because I realized that this isn't the game I hoped it was. It feels cheap. Even though they namedrop by including Elrohir and Dwalin in your quests, it still feels like every other fantasy MMO out there. Slapping the LotR title on their with such uninspired gameplay, again, makes it feel cheap. The beta will be over in about another two months so I'll keep at it and hopefully my opinion will change (it might help if I find a nice RP Kinship [ie. guild]) but as of right now I'm unimpressed.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby Pykl » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:50 am

Do you have any updates to this? Some other people I know really like it. I've applied for the beta.
Pykl
Elder
Elder

Re: Lord of the Rings Online - Beta

Postby Ni » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:48 pm

shipwreck wrote:Secondly, I'm a Tolkien nut and to make a game about it would be quite akin to making a game about my wife; you had better do it right or you can expect a swift kick to the bread basket from Ol' Shippy.

That's a mighty clever sentence I wish I had penned.
Nothing makes a woman angrier than a sleeping man. --Anon
Ni
He Who Demands Shrubberies Uncouthly
He Who Demands Shrubberies Uncouthly

Postby Pykl » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:57 am

shipwreck you still playing this?
Pykl
Elder
Elder

Postby shipwreck » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:19 pm

Sorry for the delay. No, I'm not playing much of anything these days lest it be on the PS2. I'm taking some personal leave from the PC gaming world.

And thanks for the props, Ni.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby Pykl » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:09 am

I've been playing the open beta and I quite like this game, maybe it's just cause I haven't played a mmrpg for so long. It varies from the D&D basic traits etc. that most others use. It also has a much improved crafting system from what I've seen, you have to go out and explore and kill things to get crafting materials and it doesn't take you 50 hours of monotony to get to a reasonable level.

There is limited pvp which I have yet to check out. There is also about 20% instanced bits which are primarily the main quests. I'm hoping the dungeons aren't instanced.

I'll probably buy it, another group I play with has preordered already.
Pykl
Elder
Elder

Postby shipwreck » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:02 am

Sounds cool. Let me know how Monster Play is once you check it out.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Free Weekend

Postby shipwreck » Mon May 05, 2008 2:11 pm

One year later.

LoTRO is having a free weekend this week for old players. I think I might check 'er out.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Re: Lord of the Rings Online - Beta

Postby shipwreck » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:20 am

Alright, despite my greatest misgivings I'm playing this game. One of the main reasons is that I'm having my own little Tolkien revival and this fits in nicely. Some of my prior complaints have been addressed since launch and also by spending a little more time in the game. Maybe it's because I haven't played an MMOG in a while but I'm having a good time. Also having a busy schedule helps since I can't play for hours on end and burn myself out.

One thing that totally sucks is that my desktop is dead and so I'm playing it on my lappy with only an onboard GPU. It actually runs really well but it's at the absolute lowest setting. Soon enough I'll have a mighty new machine!! AAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Return to The Feeble Pony (RPG Forum)