EVE Kills Windows

what happens when it's done prancing :)
gather here and organize yer dungeon crawls.
cuz it's nice to pretend we're not old

EVE Kills Windows

Postby shipwreck » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:27 am

This might better belong is the General forum but I can't resist...

I gave up my MMOG addiction long ago (though Warhammer Online looks appealing...must...resist) since it was sucking both my life and a little bit of my budget each month. Of course I go into withdrawal every now and then...anyway, I like to keep up with things just because and here's an exciting and hilarious story about my old friend EVE Online.

Slashdot wrote:"CCP's latest major patch to the EVE-Online client, Trinity, comes with an optional DX9-enhanced graphics patch that dramatically improves the visual quality of the in-game graphics through remade models, textures, and HDR. It also has an unfortunate bug: the incredibly stupid choice of boot.ini as a game configuration file, coupled with an errant extra backslash in the installer configuration. The result is that anyone who installs the enhanced graphics patch overwrites the windows XP c:\boot.ini file with the EVE client configuration file, bricking the machine on the next boot. Discussion in a couple of forums threads is becoming understandably heated."

Read More...
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Re: EVE Kills Windows

Postby Tainted-Beef » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:47 pm

I'm glad I run vista, well and I figured EvE would be down for about a week, so I just got my new textures now.
ImageImageImageImage
Tainted-Beef
Unwilling Provider of Filet Mignon

Postby shipwreck » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:38 am

How do you like it? The screens I saw made it look like the Source engine.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby Tainted-Beef » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:49 am

Sorry, haven't been by in a while. I haven't been playing much but the graphics are different. I wouldn't say better or worse, just different. The T2 ships in general look more interesting than their T1 counterparts which makes me happy, however a 30day minmatar cruiser 5 has me twitaling my thumbs. That and I'm too lazy to move my ships to our new warzone to help out my old enemies.
ImageImageImageImage
Tainted-Beef

Postby shipwreck » Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:53 am

You're probably not too lazy, the sheer distance and work involved with doing things in EVE make it hard to find the motivation to do it.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby Tainted-Beef » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:03 pm

We have corp jump bridges so I can move from one end of our space to the other in about 4 jumps, I'm just lazy.
ImageImageImageImage
Tainted-Beef

Postby Pykl » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:28 am

Travel time was one of the biggest drags in eve. Whenever I had to relocate it was three characters with lots of ships and junk. I could spend several days doing it. It's also probably the main reason why I won't end up renewing because I need to find a new group since the old corp is gone and I would have to move all my crap.
Pykl
Elder
Elder

Postby Niteowl » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:16 pm

You know what would be hilarious, if we found a funny/light/amusing MUD for fogies and fogey friends to login on and just waste time on. God, that would be good times.
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

Postby CanadianWolverine » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:10 am

Mmm... MUD...

Hey, you could always throw up a Green Dragon server, that is kind of MUD like and you only need a web browser.

If not that ... umm, surely there are some basic MUDs that someone could toss up, then you can tweek to your hearts content by making it all exclusive to Fogies and giving them all builder or even admin (god like) status if you want.
Check it out! I finally figured out where to make a avatar that will fit on the forums! http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/
CanadianWolverine
Cutest. Baby. Evar.
Cutest. Baby. Evar.

Postby shipwreck » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:45 am

shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby Niteowl » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:56 am

This looks pretty hardcore. Am I hardcore enough? WTF is a muX!?
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl

Postby Anonymoose » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:12 pm

I'm going to have to go one step further and ask what the hell a MUD is?
1f u c4n r34d this u probably remember what my sig used to be and are missing it as much as I am :(
Anonymoose
Doddering Old Fool

Postby Niteowl » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:23 pm

A MUD is a multi-user dungeon. It's basically an MMORPG, except replace everything with TEXT! Another way of looking at it is playing Zork, you know, the text based game? Except imagine if other ppl are playing it at the same time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl

Postby BigDXLT » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:41 pm

Any screenshots?

:ANAL:
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby Niteowl » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:30 pm

Terry Pratchett
Niteowl

Next

Return to The Feeble Pony (RPG Forum)