LOVE Moving Along Nicely

what happens when it's done prancing :)
gather here and organize yer dungeon crawls.
cuz it's nice to pretend we're not old

LOVE Moving Along Nicely

Postby shipwreck » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:16 am

http://news.quelsolaar.com/#post24
When not discussing issues of world politics, playing Korg DS-10 and being generally slow to answer E-mail, I have done some development on this game called "Love" you might have heard of. (it might be news to those who read this news page...) I'm happy to report that development is going splendid. I have spent the last month or so working on interface and game mechanics, I'm now so far along that its starts to really look like a game, and not just some tech demo. The interface is up with new tool icons and fonts (i have four different font systems in the game...), and the build system has been greatly improved. Ive gotten to the point where I can get 4-5 gameplay features that players will notice done a day. The game runs at 40+ FPS on my crappy hardware, and looks better then ever.

You can now start to build infrastructure in the game like manage power sources to build power grids and direct teleporters to create a rapid transit system that can reach around the planet. Blog ImageMost of the basic tools also work now, like the ability to give out power to heal other players and power machines, the "scuba gear", block pushing, the radio and about ten different weapons. A lot of work has gone in to the tool that lets you configure objects in the environments, like setting up power grids and triggers. Blog ImageLike in my tools, I have a tendency to make very opaque interfaces, in an effort to not clutter the screen. The interfaces are very deep, meaning that almost anything you do means something, and you manipulate object by interacting with them directly. The fear I have is as always that the game doesn't become as assessable as it should be. In Love it will be OK not know everything in order to still play and have fun but I'm trying really hard to make is simple logical and give the player hints. Blog ImageAfter sorting out some bugs with the great people of AMD, I can also report that I can now record videos form the game so there might be a trailer coming out in the not too distant future. When you add several new features everyday, its easy to easy to push making a trailer forward "Just one more week"...

I have decided to split the development in to four stages, and essentially make four different games, on the way to making the game i want to make. The idea is to create playable milestones that are polished up, before i move on to the next. The first stage will be to build a Team vs. Team game, where players fight each other. Its not my end goal, but lets me test game mechanics, and the engine, networking and compatibility with out adding any AI. In the following stage i will introduce, adventure aspects such as secrets, and puzzles. In the third stage i will create IA enemies, and at that point players wont be able to fight each other anymore. The final stage would be to create AI characters that aren't enemies.

At this point making the game is pure bliss, an experience too few people get to share. Peoplewho think that engineering is a non creative endeavour that is a necessary evil to get where you are going, clearly haven't done it. Iron man may not be the pinnacle of film making, by I sure do enjoy a film that make the lone engineer who stays up late building cool stuff the hero.... Lets hope his engineering efforts aren't as interrupted by all the "fighting evil" stuff in the sequel.

I couldn't find the original thread on this game but I thought I'd post an update for those who are interested. Once you weave through this guys maniacal, artistic, overly-thoughtful rantings you actually learn something about the game. Then again, I suppose it's this sort analytical and philosophical mind that can produce a game that looks to push so many boundaries and conventions. Progress my friends! Looking good!
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Re: LOVE Moving Along Nicely

Postby The Nighthawk » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:43 am

I still can't believe he's doing the whole thing on his own.

CRAZY!!
A person who won't think has no advantage over someone who can't think
The Nighthawk
Dagger, Shield, CLAW!!!
Dagger, Shield, CLAW!!!

Postby CanadianWolverine » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:59 pm

I know I am always curious about what "independent" developers like this are capable of, I eagerly await the end result to see if it will be worth a slice of my income.

Take for instance, I have stumbled upon something called Dwarf Fortress - even though it seems to be made by one guy, Toady, and that it is in ASCII, though you can get graphics tiles for it from modders, it plays like a fantasy version of Sims where "dying is fun".

Even if "Project: Love" turns out to be less than say, Spore, I would still want to see the end result of this guy's creativity. I find his blog to be an interesting read, its like reading his meandering thoughts as they coalesce together to aim towards a goal - its like watching an painter paint on a canvas, infinitely more fascinating to me than what the end result is at times ... so, its my game art.
Check it out! I finally figured out where to make a avatar that will fit on the forums! http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/
CanadianWolverine
Cutest. Baby. Evar.
Cutest. Baby. Evar.

Postby BigDXLT » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:36 pm

I'm just wondering how long it'll be before some big company rips off the style he has going. (Oh, but we've had this in development since 1998, we swears it!)
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby CanadianWolverine » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:16 am

Check it out! I finally figured out where to make a avatar that will fit on the forums! http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/

CanadianWolverine
Cutest. Baby. Evar.
Cutest. Baby. Evar.

Postby BigDXLT » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:51 pm

Looks like a work of art.
BigDXLT

Postby shipwreck » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:34 pm

Goo!

Though I'm not sure I dig the smoky-ness of it all. Perhaps that will change.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby shipwreck » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:45 pm

shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby shipwreck » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:56 am

LOVE at GDC!

Here's a little quote to entice your enticers...

I immediately thought, this is Dwarf Fortress but in 3D with guns! I expect to see a lot of creativity expressed in this game.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby BigDXLT » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:46 pm

Oh great, so I can have my minions go off killing each other every time they stub their toes, but now instead of hand to hand combat, they have guns.

Wonderful.
BigDXLT

Postby shipwreck » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:12 pm

LOVE OPEN ALPHA!

/heartattack

http://news.quelsolaar.com/#post56

/defibrillator

/clear

/shineywhitelight

edit; okay, so it's not that exciting but it's something! And I'm not sure if this gameplay demo was ever posted but it's awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-A8xvFKaRA
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby CanadianWolverine » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:28 pm

That is really interesting. He appears to have found a way to do some mass testing on many different types of PCs in a pretty efficiently - if only more games did this, they might see much less bugs on release day.

Not only that, but he is getting info on his customers needs too: how many and of what type. Could prove invaluable to him to knowing how to be ready for his initial playerbase.

CanadianWolverine
Cutest. Baby. Evar.
Cutest. Baby. Evar.

Postby shipwreck » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:08 pm

Playable alpha is available if you're feeling generous; it's €3 or about $4.31 US. Normally paying monthly for an alpha would be ludicrous but given the circumstance and that the game is fairly stable I may actually do it.

http://www.quelsolaar.com/alpha/
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby clamatius » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:16 pm

It's in beta now.

http://www.loveinvers.es/

Has anyone tried this? Looks very strange (to put it mildly) - kind of a highly cooperative construction-based MMO.
Obligatory blog link.
clamatius
Domo Arigato...
Domo Arigato...

Postby shipwreck » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:26 pm

I played a few months ago and it didn't really grab me. The graphics actually make it kind of hard to get into and you definitely have to communicate; not having in-game voice makes that hard, though there were Vent servers. Action was very awkward.

I'm sure it's much improved since then but I haven't yet gone back.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Next

Return to The Feeble Pony (RPG Forum)