Christmas Loot

Off-topic sorta stuff with not alot to it (i.e. ytmd posts).

Moderator: McRiot

Re: Christmas Loot

Postby Florp Incarnate » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:40 pm

Any book of his in particular?
Florp Incarnate
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord

Postby clamatius » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:57 am

"For Whom The Bell Tolls" is really good. I'd say start with that. "Islands In The Stream" is my personal favourite, but I understand that a lot of people don't like it as much as some of his other work.
Obligatory blog link.
clamatius
Domo Arigato...
Domo Arigato...

Postby Niteowl » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:57 am

Well, being a dad of two younglings, I hardly have the extra cash reserves to buy gifts for self and whatnot. Except for a bit of splurging durin gthe Steam Holiday sale.

Buuut, I really just posted to say I'm getting into Patrick O'Brian in a big way. Historical fiction about British naval warfare. He wrote about 20 books, highly acclaimed, two of his books were squished into one movie, "Master and Commander : The Far Side Of The World".

Super duper incredibly awesome writer. In-depth knowledge of the period and the technology they used back there. You really have to read it like sci-fi, trying to get the gist of things from the context, he spends no time hand-holding. But, holy smokes, so, so, so, so so very good.

Interesting article on him, by the guy who wrote GlenGarry Glen Ross.
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

Postby clamatius » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:21 pm

O'Brian is really good - I read all 21+ of the books a few years ago. I think a legit complaint is that too many of the books are samey though. Just sit back and enjoy the atmosphere because he did a fantastic job of understanding the setup of society & life on board the ships.
Obligatory blog link.
clamatius
Domo Arigato...
Domo Arigato...

Postby Niteowl » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:33 am

clamatius wrote:O'Brian is really good - I read all 21+ of the books a few years ago. I think a legit complaint is that too many of the books are samey though. Just sit back and enjoy the atmosphere because he did a fantastic job of understanding the setup of society & life on board the ships.

I hold you responsible sir, for not telling us RIGHT quick about how awesome this guy is. So. Very. Awesome.
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl

Previous

Return to Ramblings and Amblings