Flooding?

Off-topic sorta stuff with not alot to it (i.e. ytmd posts).

Moderator: McRiot

Flooding?

Postby mooseman » Mon May 16, 2011 11:22 am

Any flooding going on in your neck of the woods? We are seeing some rivers and streams going over their banks here in NW Montana. We had amazing amounts of snowfall this winter, some places were at 500% of normal, and we've just had a week of very warm weather and now some rain. All my folks are high above any floodplains but the scenery is getting interesting.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
mooseman
Swamp Donkey Overlord
Swamp Donkey Overlord

Re: Flooding?

Postby BigDXLT » Mon May 16, 2011 5:07 pm

Melting has been slow here. And no rain so far either.

Then you got northern Alberta, 100 km/hr winds just blew a wildfire into a town up there. A third of the whole town is literally on fire now.
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby BigDXLT » Wed May 18, 2011 10:07 pm

So the day after I post that, we get a heavy rain. The local lakes start reaching up into homes, and creeks started trying to take out the highway going in and out of town. :rolleyes:
BigDXLT

Postby mooseman » Mon May 23, 2011 11:52 am

I read about the Slave Lake fire a few days ago...wild.

One of the local rivers is over its banks. Not too bad. There are some new lakes where there weren't any last year.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
mooseman
Swamp Donkey Overlord
Swamp Donkey Overlord

Postby BigDXLT » Mon May 23, 2011 10:29 pm

BigDXLT wrote:So the day after I post that, we get a heavy rain. The local lakes start reaching up into homes, and creeks started trying to take out the highway going in and out of town. :rolleyes:

So this weekend I went for a drive to see the damage from the so called "wash outs" reported on the radio. The water barely reached the pavement, the roads were single lane traffic while culverts were unblocked. My idea of a washout is road is missing, hence, washed out. :p

Back towards the side note about fires, I also went and visited where the big forest fire south of town hit last summer. It's all forest with no homes, but boy, it's huge swath of land. Didn't bring a camera, just had my crappy blackberry.

IMG00024-20110521-1544 (Medium).jpg
IMG00024-20110521-1544 (Medium).jpg (94.11 KiB) Viewed 2377 times
BigDXLT

Postby mooseman » Tue May 31, 2011 9:59 am

BigDXLT wrote:
Back towards the side note about fires, I also went and visited where the big forest fire south of town hit last summer. It's all forest with no homes, but boy, it's huge swath of land. Didn't bring a camera, just had my crappy blackberry.

Morel mushrooms poking up yet?
mooseman
Swamp Donkey Overlord
Swamp Donkey Overlord

Postby BigDXLT » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:38 pm

Not when I was there, but an uncle of mine was going looking for them last weekend.
BigDXLT

Return to Ramblings and Amblings