Top 10 RTS of all time...

where we devise our cunning strats of things and such and such and anon, etc.. and erhm.. stuff... make it go BOOM!!!! meet and greet, organize yer RTS games here.

Postby Niteowl » Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:03 pm

i dunno, TA, C&C, Dune2000, wc3, all have their place too. i hear Total War : Medieval is awesome as well.

i'm not sure where Empire Earth, Age of Empires, and that really complimicated one.... gah, can't remember it, it has some elements of civ3 in it.., fit in.
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

Postby Dag » Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:10 pm

NS should be on there, but I guess it sort of doesn't qualify =|

That said, I can't believe C&C made third. I'm probably the only one, but I've always hated C&C games. Yuck.

Now I kind of have an urge to play AOE2: AOK... the Age of Empires series always was my favorite RTS. Microsoft needs to get someone to make a third one... (I know there's AOM, but it doesn't count. =P It never looked all that appealing anyways.) Rise of Nations looks really cool, too.

I agree with what Sleeper said, mind you... Gamespy is bascially, uhm... how can I put this nicely? I can't, they're full of s--t. This list isn't too bad, though :)
Dag
Feeling the Years Pile Up

Postby Cpt.Shwan » Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:27 pm

Bah, Outpost 2 owns all RTS Games that have ever lived!

that was the greatest!

You had to Manage your Population, Manage your Workers and Scientists(buy sending some through College) real time Research (when they said 2 minutes, you had to wait two minutes) AND combat all in one game!
Cpt.Shwan
Over the Hill

AoE

Postby oldf_dr_death » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:00 pm

I like AoE the best; although, I didn't play most of the others enough to probably be a good judge. I also liked age of empires but I don't think it was ground breaking like the rest. Just fun to be able to get to the nuclear age and send the nuclear bomber while my opponent had some sort of primative structure.
Barry
aka [OldF]Dr. Death
oldf_dr_death
Elder
Elder

Total Anhiliation

Postby Six String Samurai » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:42 pm

okay for those of you who have never played Total ANhiliation...your missing out on one of the most balanced, amazing games ever. 17 Tiers of tech ( in 1997 mind you ), all with over 60 researchable techs in that tier, some allowing you to advance to the next tier...the tech tree in that game...was astounding.

Then we have the balance. Everyone, gets all the same type of buildings and units, making it totally balanced. But with so many choices...on what to build...and where to build...

This game I use to play multiplayer 6 way on a lan. There is no population limit...this is the game that forced population limit, for we never finished a game without crashing at least one computer in a large battle sequence. It puts all other RTS out there to shame...they dumbed it down for Kingdoms, because they were planning on making kingdoms the expansion pack version of TA 1. TA 1 had everything that an RTS freak ever desired...EVER. Everything hand a counter, defenses and counter measures were designed to be more powerful then an enemies non unit attacks (no WC3 treeman spam). Unit artillary wasnt amazingly accurate unless you could see what you were shelling...flight units were fast, and didnt stop to attack...very little ammo, and had to re arm. Ground units were fair...and zerg and supra units were blanaced alike. Naval units were a counter to everything, but couldnt conquer with a navy alone ( aint that the truth? ) And I believe somewhere in middle of the above rant...I wet myself thinking about it again....... ::sniffles:: Oh ta...how I have missed you...WHERE HAST THOU BEEN!?!?!?!?
The turning of the tide always begins with one soldier's decision to head back into the fray.
Six String Samurai
Champion of Bengay

Postby Niteowl » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:29 am

there ARE some TA freaks in OldF, you know, mcriot and zz come to mind...
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl

Postby Crazed Monk On a Mission » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:31 am

bah no Dark Reign, hardest single player I've ever played. Personally I've never really liked Age of Empires and CnC, just played CnC to mess around with the super weapons.

Also no Homeworld? Hmmm... I don't like this list at all.
Crazed Monk On a Mission

Postby Niteowl » Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:47 am

man, more Homeworld junkies :)
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl

Strat Games I drool for

Postby IR_Scrat » Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:54 am

Total A is the top of the heap ( air supremacy and Big Berthas Need I say more? ), Ground controll and GC2 both were awsome, all the AOE variants were good, and my personal favorite that may not belong here because of its first person element is Battlezone and BZ2 both were intensly engaging with exellent solo play and awsome team play

My 2 cents
IR_Scrat

Postby Red » Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:24 am

Been a while since I checked this thread, but since it's been bumped. . .

Anyone a fan of Empire Earth? The gameplay was a little difficult to manage once your unit count went sky-high, but it looked fantastic, and spanned from spears through nukes and beyond.
aka INDIANA_JONES, Frank B. Parker, IRON_CHEF
Red
Best. Job. Ever.
Best. Job. Ever.

Postby Niteowl » Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:13 pm

little NS trivia, Flayra helped make Empire Earth.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl

Postby Red » Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:36 pm

excellent. :P
aka INDIANA_JONES, Frank B. Parker, IRON_CHEF
Red
Best. Job. Ever.
Best. Job. Ever.

Postby North Wolf » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:23 am

I´m finding Dawn of War to be as addictive as crack at the moment. I loved TA in its day but I was never a fan of Warcraft III. Rise of Nations seems to do well for me (more brainy then twitchy) and Homeworld Catalysm is always a classic in my mind (they included a first person view for the fighters.. little things count).

Dawn has some unusual stuff going for it. Animations are sweet so the feel of battle is good and the unit setup is nice. Squads rather then individuals give you better control oddly enough. Its a hard nail biting experience when played online with constant attacks and counter attacks. Its sucky while you get the basics down, but once you can hold your own its amazing multi. The four races are pretty unique, balance is good now (not perfect but good).

I recomend testing out the demo if you havent.
Eðvarð (Eddi)
[OldF]*North_Wolf

"Call this an unfair generalization if you must, but old people suck at everything." -Moe Syzlak
North Wolf
Fogey
Fogey

Postby TechnoBabble042 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:35 pm

Hmm. This list seems... decent. Homeworld should be higher up on the list, and Incredable Creatures should be on there somewhere. Just because it's not popular, dosn't make it un-awsome. But then again, considering I've never played half of those games probably invalidates my opinion by a great amount.
Durga / Jersey '08 - A vote for dictorial technocracy.
TechnoBabble042
Champion of Bengay

Postby BigBadnUgly » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:54 pm

I still love TA, I play it often...but I find the krogoth has changed the stuff a lil cause it kicks butt...but can be counted. I wish I knew why they didn't include one of my favorite games in this, KKnD 2 Krush Kill n Destroy 2: Krossfire. It is very balanced each unit has their own range and everything...I admit the ugly boys do get a lil screwed power wise...but tough game. Unlike TA this game limits towers...only 4 of each and must build near your other buildings. AoE2: AoK and AoC is fairly nice game balanced, I find AoC expansion is a lil better then AoK.
"Can I see your club." "It's called a baton." "What's it for?" "We club people with it."
BigBadnUgly
Fogey
Fogey

Previous

Return to Ye Olde Bunkere (RTS Forum)