Top 10 RTS of all time...

where we devise our cunning strats of things and such and such and anon, etc.. and erhm.. stuff... make it go BOOM!!!! meet and greet, organize yer RTS games here.

Top 10 RTS of all time...

Postby Niteowl » Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:10 am

A Gamespy article, discuss, make your own list :D

http://gamespy.com/top10/february04/rts/
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

Postby dklein » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:14 am

C&C above Warcraft? Bah!
That's what I say... Bah! :)

I recognize about 1/2 of the titles... and played fewer than those. And there were a couple bombs... TA: Kingdoms and such
"Don't worry... it only seems kinky the first time..."

[OldF] Heinrich Maneouver
dklein
That's ONE RICH HEINY!!
That's ONE RICH HEINY!!

Postby Niteowl » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:24 am

man, i'm REALLY tempted to try Total Annhilation now. i recognized all the games, but don't have the time to learn them all. most RTS have a pretty steep learning curve :S

and ever since, NS, i can't do an RTS without COMMRAGE having a factor in it. :D
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl

Postby dklein » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:41 am

Commrage, eh? You endorphin addict you!

I've been tempted by TA for some time, but never did pick it up. Now, I worry about what I call 'Warcraft 2 syndrome'. Y'see, I tried to install and play WC2 a while back, and found I just couldn't do it -- the graphics were entirely intolerable and I couldn't deal with it. I have the same problem with the original version of Diablo.

The review marks TA as a great example of balance, and that peaks my interest -- that's always tricky to do.
"Don't worry... it only seems kinky the first time..."

[OldF] Heinrich Maneouver
dklein
That's ONE RICH HEINY!!
That's ONE RICH HEINY!!

Postby zzSleeper » Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:06 pm

meh, i dont' put much stock in anything that gamespy has to say.

well at least they have some of it right this time, those newer games don't belong there though.

i'm rather offended by the inclusion of warcraft 3 actually. and they are clearly missing Myth among the listing. i haven't tried medieval: total war, so i can't comment on it.

in terms of groundbreaking and genre definging my list looks like, in no particular order:
TA, WC2/SC, CC, Myth, C&C, AoE, Homeworld
hmm... that's about all i remember. maybe lemmings too, though it's missing the direct PvP aspect which the above games emphasize. settlers may also deserve to be there, but i don't remember it well enough.

in terms of TA, a bunch of my friends (including mcriot, fred, jabberwock, gumonshoe, others...) still pull it out and play once in a while. it doesn't show its age much, and its still great to play in teams
/zzSleeper
/Jonathan
zzSleeper
Utility Belt Wearing Battlemech Pilot
Utility Belt Wearing Battlemech Pilot

Postby Niteowl » Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:36 pm

a very side note here, djArcas, who was one of the first fogies, from teh UK, but kinda drifted off a loong time ago, was a nationally ranked TA champion.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl

Postby Prototype » Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:34 pm

I thought TA was good, but how could anything compete with Starcraft! :)

My list would be: Starcraft then TA or WC2, WC3, C&C (original), RoN, AoE, AoM, and Homeworld.

Personally I think SC ranks #1 since no other game (other than WC3) has had 3 completely different races with such large varations on strategies. Most of the games have the same units on each side with variations on stats.
Reality is defined by the observer.
Prototype
Epic Game Commander
Epic Game Commander

Postby uxud » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:50 pm

I thought the topic was RTs, not RTS!

Can I hear a central processing?
uxud
Rapscallion Purger
Rapscallion Purger

Postby Niteowl » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:03 pm

:P

top RTs? all the rts behind a chokepoint :)
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl

Postby Feyd Rautha » Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:23 pm

*glances at his warcraft 3 disk still in shrinkwrap*
Feyd
(!wired)?(coffee++):(wired);
xbox360,PS3,skype: othermark
http://twitter.com/atkin901
Feyd Rautha
Best. Mic. Evar.
Best. Mic. Evar.

Postby Florp Incarnate » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:19 am

For overall experience, I have to say the original C&C. It is probably mostly because that was my first RTS, and I was young etc. Still, I get shivers when I remember the first time I watched the scene where Kane caps that arrogant puke Seth and sits down and is all like "I am Kane".

You tell em, boss!

PEACE

UNITY

BROTHERHOOD

Florp Incarnate
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord

Postby Sancho » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:24 am

Ya know, this forum is so big I'll continue to find posts as I have time to search for them. I just found this gem.

I got TA way back when it first came out, and loved it to bits. It is pure sex. There's also tons of mods out there if you want to turn your robots into star wars fighters. It also got me hooked on jeremy soule's music (which was used in NS!), and Chris Taylor's work (Those who haven't played Dungeon Siege, play it!!). I totally agree its #1, and will play any of you anytime.

Warcraft III shouldn't have been up there. (though I still love the tower minigames owl introduced me to :D )

A lot of those games I still need to try. I hear empire earth is real neato.
Sancho
Sensuous Señor Sombrero
Sensuous Señor Sombrero

Postby ZanzibarVic » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:27 am

GAH! They've this all wrong! I do not accept this! I curse who ever made this, as well as their children, and their children's children, and THEIR children's children's children!
I'll just put you in a coma with some dirty love.
ZanzibarVic
Over the Hill

Postby Niteowl » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:39 am

who are they missing zanzibar?
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl

Postby Amnizu » Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:08 pm

Starcraft:BW then the original, then WC2. Everything else isnt worth mentioning, imo.
Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
Amnizu
Shockingly Good At Video Games

Next

Return to Ye Olde Bunkere (RTS Forum)