Hee Hee!! REALISTIC RTS!! YEAH!!

where we devise our cunning strats of things and such and such and anon, etc.. and erhm.. stuff... make it go BOOM!!!! meet and greet, organize yer RTS games here.

Hee Hee!! REALISTIC RTS!! YEAH!!

Postby Niteowl » Wed May 19, 2004 7:41 am

God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

Postby dklein » Wed May 19, 2004 8:03 pm

I love it. Now _this_ is satire!

Great stuff -- I almost peed.
"Don't worry... it only seems kinky the first time..."

[OldF] Heinrich Maneouver
dklein
That's ONE RICH HEINY!!
That's ONE RICH HEINY!!

Postby nooby » Wed May 19, 2004 10:01 pm

Had a gander, bonzer.
Life has a poignant twist to it.
nooby
OldF Scribe
OldF Scribe

Postby Florp Incarnate » Wed May 19, 2004 10:20 pm

15. About every five minutes I want one of my helicopters to crash, completely on its own, for some fucking reason.

Yes, what is it with helicopters crashing and tons of soldiers dying? Like during afghanistan especially, there seemed to be a chinook or a blackhawk crashing every bloody week!
Florp Incarnate
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord

Postby Niteowl » Thu May 20, 2004 7:23 am

also in Bosnia.

as i understand it, helis are HELL to fly. and are VERY delicate. so you can imagine what being in the field, trying to repair and keep them in tip top shape must do to it.
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl

Heli's

Postby Six String Samurai » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:51 pm

My uncle is an army blackhawk pilot, used to be stationed in Hawaii (sweet!) now in germany. I was interested about it and talk to him when he spent a few days at my house while on the move to his new assignment with his family, he flew in the Gulf war and did 3 other tours of active duty in combat zones. The pilots take great care and work closely with their own mechanics on most helicopters, since thats the only sense of control they get when struck. Helicopters are really just...flying, stable, troop platforms. They are not designed for anything other then in and out vehicles. Every helicopter has a specific role, he told me. The missle batteries are anti vehicular, the chinook vehicle transport, the blackhawk troop transport and support, and so on. In the movie black hawk down, they got it pretty correct. They would circle and wait to go in, pick up/drop off what they needed to, and then get the hell out. But the mecanhics of a device that has so much control on its tilt, pitch, yaw, and horizontal abilities also has its drawbacks...you put one thing out of whack...it looses one of its abilities to control in those directions. They are flying ballerinas...and the army loves them because they are mobile.

:roll:
The turning of the tide always begins with one soldier's decision to head back into the fray.
Six String Samurai
Champion of Bengay

Return to Ye Olde Bunkere (RTS Forum)