Market Survey: Response Needed Please

where we devise our cunning strats of things and such and such and anon, etc.. and erhm.. stuff... make it go BOOM!!!! meet and greet, organize yer RTS games here.

Market Survey: Response Needed Please

Postby Cookie » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:11 pm

I'll keep this as brief as possible since I actually want people to read, and respond to this.

Background:
My main hobby besides gaming, is Game Design. In fact, I've designed games for about 2 decades now.

It's been about 2 years since my latest project was released, but with Real Life© and all, I just haven't had a chance to work on any new projects. But, now I'm really chomping at the bit to do another project. I've been batting around ideas for a new video game, and have something that should be lots of fun. But, before I commit to this, I'd like to get a view on what others think. So please be honest, and share your opinions.

Overview:

OK, 1st off this is NOT some grand innovation. There is nothing ground-breaking here. I just want to take several elements from games that I love, and blend them in a 'hopefully' unique way. TBH, I simply don't have the time needed to reinvent the wheel.

Also to be brief, I am going to use VERY simple bullet points. I have a complete design written up, but I don't want to bore you with details.

* RTS / FPS Hybrid, Online Only, Teamplay Only. Tech Level = Sci-Fi.

* Game levels consist of VERY large terrain maps (several sq miles). All gameplay is exterior based. (Nothing indoors)

* 2 Teams, up to 32 players per team.

* 1 person is Team Captain, the others take the role of vehicle crewmen.

* Team Captain is responsible for giving orders to team, assigning vehicles to team members, purchasing upgrades, and constructing buildings.

* All players spawn driving the default vehicle. All vehicles are manned by a single team-member. (Crew-served vehicles possible in future release). Improved vehicles may be assigned at Captains discretion

* Vehicle types include: Wheeled, Tracked, and Grav. There are several vehicles in each category. (15 are currently planned.) (Flying vehicles & powered armor possible in future release.)

* Each team would take on the role of one of several factions. Each faction would have differing tech availabe to it. Each Faction would be human.

So, I suppose the simplest way to describe my concept is BF1942 meets NS. This would be a FPS/RTS hybrid like NS, but instead of close combat, it would take place on wide-open battlefields with vehicles.

As I said, nothing ground breaking, but I think it has potential since it blends action & stragtegy on such a large scale.

But, I'd really like to hear what you guys have to say, and please be honest. I'm not committed to this yet, so don't worry about hurting my feelings.
Cookie
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Niteowl » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:44 pm

I was the PR guy for a mod that was exactly this. Empires Mod for BF1942, quite buggy due to HORRENDOUS developer support from Dice. But when it worked, it was just awesome! I think they are porting it to HL2 now.

http://www.empiresmod.com/
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

Postby Nikon » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:35 pm

sounds quite a bit like NS meats PlanetSide with Tribe style vehicles, ID PLAY IT!
Nikon.OldF a.k.a. iko | aimless | Boo Radley | Bacchus.OldF

"A true friend stabs you in the front" : Oscar Wilde
Nikon
Leaning Tower of Pieza
Leaning Tower of Pieza

I Have played it

Postby IR_Scrat » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:30 pm

It sounds very much like battlezone, and it is my all time favorite game with an excellent combination of resource management and fast first person action. It was my favorite Till the haxors killed the community on battlenet.

If you havnt checked it out do so.

And if you can capture half the gameplay with current graphic tech I will buy 3 copies :)
IR_Scrat
Feeling the Years Pile Up

Postby Homerius » Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:33 am

I'd love a good RTS with teamplay that has vhiecles and stuff where you can drive like Halo online and whatnot
Homerius
Feeling the Years Pile Up

Postby Florp Incarnate » Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:32 am

Yeah, that DOES sound like Empires Mod.

That is not to say that the RTS/FPS - SciFi genre doesn't have room for new games.
Florp Incarnate
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord

Return to Ye Olde Bunkere (RTS Forum)