DotA Consumes my Soul

where we devise our cunning strats of things and such and such and anon, etc.. and erhm.. stuff... make it go BOOM!!!! meet and greet, organize yer RTS games here.

Postby fallout[aeronautics] » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:57 pm

The dota player base needs to be run over with a steamroller a few times. They have to be the bare bottom of the internet. I swear, they don't get their favorite hero, and they leave, die once and they leave. I really hate pubbing this game.
fallout[aeronautics]
Strigiformophobic
Strigiformophobic

Postby Niteowl » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:07 pm

That's why ppl run banlist games. IT's a small drop in the bucket for thinning out the smacktards, but it's a start. And makes you feel like youa re doing something against the unclean horde.
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

Postby fallout[aeronautics] » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:23 pm

That was a post 3 games of everyone leaving 5 minutes in when one person dies rant.
fallout[aeronautics]
Strigiformophobic
Strigiformophobic

Postby Florp Incarnate » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:16 am

SUCH a good game... I invite anyone who has Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne to drop by teamspeak sometime and try it out with us...
Florp Incarnate
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord

Postby HTEC » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:07 pm

I have WC3 but gave my copy of the FT expansion to my roommate, who then moved out. I should grab another and check it out again with you guys. (Noob alert! Noob alert!)

Actually, there was some mod where the heroes all battled in some kind of mid-sized arena, with two heroes being taken out on occasion and placed in a kind of boxing ring, with all others spectating. The kids were getting PO'd since I somehow managed to kick butt that particular round. Good times!
- HTEC
HTEC
Baron of Bedsores

Postby fallout[aeronautics] » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:01 pm

I really wish pubbers would learn how to coordinate ganks. I mean, I just missed so many easy kills with bloodseeker because my ally wouldn't attack them
fallout[aeronautics]
Strigiformophobic
Strigiformophobic

Postby JDawg » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:12 pm

I wish there was some basic suggestions for items to get on melee, caster, or ranged fighters. Just a basic set that's not too expensive and works ok in most situations.

I hate trying to ask others what to buy and Teamspeak not having the resolution to help me understand the bizar names they speak of.

Seems like Perserverance is a really good item for a newbie to get. Lets them not have to trek it back to base as often for heals and instead stay near creeps for leveling.
University of Utah alumni and proud of it. GO UTES!!
JDawg-OldF
JDawg
Lexiconally Diverse!!
Lexiconally Diverse!!

Postby Faust » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:49 pm

It's hard to suggest a broad set of equipment when the heroe's vary so much jdawg.

Not only do you have to factor ranged and melee, you also have to factor primary attributes (Strength, Agility, and Intelligence), as well as character playstyles (nukers, attackers, assasins, pushers etc.), not to mention all the different skill sets heros have, including potential orb effects and crits.

I've thought of a few general items good on certain groups of heros:

Battlefury is a decent item for melee attackers. This recipe grants hp and mana regen, a decent amount of dmg (60 i think), and 35% cleave (splash dmg; only works on melee).

For caster-style heroes, aghanim's sceptre can be a good buy for heroes that can utilize it. It grants you extra hp and a larger mana pool, 25 extra int, and buffs your ultimate by 20% on average. If an int hero cant use sceptre, I would recommend ginsoo.

Eye of Skadi is a decent item for int, and well, any hero (cept maybe str class heros) because its main benefit is a 25 point attb boost to all stats, which can be especially helpful with low hp heroes.

... there's a lot more I can add here, but zzSleeper is working a dota newbie guide, and he's pretty much laid out the basics so I dont have to. Its still in beta from what I remember, but quite informative and handy:

http://www.sfu.ca/~jtrivett/dotaguide.html

For extra info, check out the official dota forums, which include TONS of hero guides. Even though the guides are generally specific to one hero, they can give you insight into crafting better item builds for heroes in general:

http://forums.dota-allstars.com/

Hope this was at least somewhat helpful Jdawg.
Faust
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Florp Incarnate » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:03 pm

JDawg wrote:I wish there was some basic suggestions for items to get on melee, caster, or ranged fighters. Just a basic set that's not too expensive and works ok in most situations.

I hate trying to ask others what to buy and Teamspeak not having the resolution to help me understand the bizar names they speak of.

Seems like Perserverance is a really good item for a newbie to get. Lets them not have to trek it back to base as often for heals and instead stay near creeps for leveling.

It's not a question of what items you want, it's a question of what abilities you want.

For example, if you have a hero that has some ability that gives them attack damage yet has slow attack speed, you may want to go for IAS (increased attack speed items) like treads, butterfly, or a hyperstone.

If you have a hero that has hero-killing abilities like windwalk or blink, you probably want to boost your damage.

You have to look at your hero and consider what you HAVE, and what you DON'T HAVE... that comes with experience.

In general though,

Strength heroes: Heart of Tarrasque (uber HP item+ damage), Satanic (HP + lifesteal + damage), and Battlefury (+HP regen, +Mana regen, +Damage, +Cleave) are all good items.

Agility heroes: The Butterfly (50% IAS, Evade attacks, Damage), Buriza (+ Crazy Damage), Skadi (Crazy stats + slow).

Int heroes: Agahanims if your hero supports it (increases damage, int, and upgrades your ultimate), Euls (Disable + mana + mana regen), Guinsoos (disable + damage), Skadi (Crazy stats + slow).

You always want to have one or two high level items in mind. Usually these items have intermediate stages... ie battle fury contains a perseverence, which you mentioned in your post.

Try reading some guides on the DotA forums http://www.dota-allstars.com
Florp Incarnate

Postby BigDXLT » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:02 pm

So, lemme get this kinda straight here... DotA is more like Diablo/WoW in that you control one character and you don't build stuffs/armies. Games are quicker though and the world is not persistent. There is only one (official) map. You can be on the horde side or the "alliance" side, and there are a whole pile of characters you can choose from. You level up your character as you battle towards the enemies flag/base/ancient/thingee.

Is that the gist of it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_of_the_Ancients has more info.

Okay, so there are different flavours of the map. Basically modded for extra critters, abilities and balance, but overall very similar. Correct?
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby Niteowl » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:15 pm

JDawg wrote:I wish there was some basic suggestions for items to get on melee, caster, or ranged fighters. Just a basic set that's not too expensive and works ok in most situations.

Being an ultra newb myself, I have to concur. It's like a vertical learning curve on Dota.
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl

Postby Florp Incarnate » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:47 am

BigDXLT wrote:So, lemme get this kinda straight here... DotA is more like Diablo/WoW in that you control one character and you don't build stuffs/armies. Games are quicker though and the world is not persistent. There is only one (official) map. You can be on the horde side or the "alliance" side, and there are a whole pile of characters you can choose from. You level up your character as you battle towards the enemies flag/base/ancient/thingee.

Is that the gist of it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_of_the_Ancients has more info.

Okay, so there are different flavours of the map. Basically modded for extra critters, abilities and balance, but overall very similar. Correct?

Yep!

Games usually last from 30 mins to an hour, sometimes more if it's really evenly matched.
Florp Incarnate

Postby Niteowl » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:40 am

AFAIK, everyone ONLY plays the official version of Dota. The official map. Albeit different custom switches. Like all pick.. and such and such. I'll just stop talking now.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl

Postby shipwreck » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:12 am

Sold!

Once I'm not without internet (god save double-negatives) I'll be given 'er a try.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby Velour Kitten » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:40 am

I am so weak.
Velour Kitten
Fogey
Fogey

PreviousNext

Return to Ye Olde Bunkere (RTS Forum)