Hearts of Iron II: Doomsday

where we devise our cunning strats of things and such and such and anon, etc.. and erhm.. stuff... make it go BOOM!!!! meet and greet, organize yer RTS games here.

Hearts of Iron II: Doomsday

Postby St0nkingByte » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:14 am

OK I know 'OMG I FOUND TEH BEST GAME EVAR' posts are pretty common around here so I'll try to contain my enthusiasm but OMG I FOUND TEH BEST GAME EVAR!!!11eleventy1!

Lately I've been on an old school strategy game kick. See I have this laptop, it was my wife's last laptop. Its an OK laptop, big HD, reasonable CPU speed but horrible Intel integrated graphics. It plays Guild Wars, at like 3 fps. Anyway lately work has been pretty stressful and my usual gaming (GW and DoD:S) is turning out to not be super relaxing. So I've taken to playing with this laptop alot playing old strategy games like Panzer General and the like. At the same time I've been looking for a new strategy game and I came across Hearts of Iron II: Doomsday.

At first this game seems like alot of big strategy games I've played. Like Risk or Axis & Allies but with more depth. Then I start noticing how its playing out more like history, and the units don't just have a bad dice roll and go poof, they retreat, they rearm. It has production but its on a real world schedule, wow this is cool.

Playing the demo I start as Germany in 1936 ready to get my Hitler on I tromp my troops into the Rhineland, yeah just like history, take that you French bastards! Then I start ramping up production of infantry divisions, yeah bring the conscription on. After I get done pissing all over the treaty of Versaille I start eyeing my neighbor to the south, Czechoslovakia. Oh yeah that would make a nice addition to the Fatherland. I start moving troops towards the border. While the troops are in motion I start sending diplomatic nastygrams and in May of '36 I declare war and roll across the border the same day.

Czechoslovakia puts up a pretty good fight but in less than a week I'm sitting pretty in Prague and just two months later I've rolled up their entire country except for the two eastern most provinces. The remnants of all their armies are backed into these two provinces and they're a tough nut to crack. The Czechs offer peace terms a couple times and I decline them. Just as I'm massing my troops for the final push on the Czechs Poland declares war on me and pushes into eastern Germany!

I had left three divisions in Eastern Germany just in case, that army commanded by Gen. Paulus (of real world Stalingrad fame) was steamrolled by the Poles and ceases to exist. The Poles advanced to within spitting distance of Berlin as I scrambled to move troops north to meet their attack. As luck would have it one of my new infrantry divisions came online near Berlin and I moved them into the capital. Interestingly enough this one division halted the Polish advance and my air force began pounding the Poles in eastern Germany. I bring four more divisions to bear against the Poles and slowly start pushing them back.

Frustrated with the amount of time it takes to move my fledgling Panzer divisions and associated armies from eastern Czechoslovakia I take a look at the map and I realize something. The Poles in their haste to drive towards Berlin have left their southern flank exposed. I shift the bulk of my armies and the Panzer divisions slice into the center of Poland heading directly towards Warsaw pushing back the single infantry divisions in my way. As my troops enter Poland the Soviets declare war on me and my drive bogs down a little as the Soviet air force pounds my troops. I relocate a squadron of fighters to the Polish border and reduce the attacks to a tolerable level. My armies continue to drive north and Warsaw is in sight! My divisions in eastern Germany push the last of the Poles from Germany and Poland is just days away from being cut in half, isolating their armies in the west. I plot my final drive to Warsaw and make my moves as...............THE DEMO ENDS!

The good news is the real game is a mere $20 and now I'm going to have to buy it ;)

Hearts of Iron 2: Doomsday Expansion Pack

They call it an expansion pack but the Doomsday version includes the full game, that's good stuff for $19.99.
Niteowl wrote:i like him. solid feller. and excelent post !
Coding Plugins for a Plugin of a Plugin
Coding Plugins for a Plugin of a Plugin

Postby shipwreck » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:09 am

Thanks for the tip! I'm always after 'underground', small-time games - for both my pocket book and my punk-rock mentality. Another new, small-time rts game that's been getting a lot of press and only costs $30 is Space Rangers 2: Rise of the Dominators.

I saw it at Best Buy but opted to get Pirates! instead since I've never played it.
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby Niteowl » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:43 am

Wow, that sounds fantastic. I vote SB for High School History Teacher!

As a small piggyback, you know those EA Compilation things, I'm always a sucker for them because, you know, 30 bucks for 5 games!! Anyhoo, on one of them is this little title called Freedom Fighters. It's like CS lite combined with Full Spectrum Warrior Lite. It's pretty fun. Put on superestest difficulty, it's totally worth the 6 dollars or whatever it is.
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

Postby [cns]Manwich » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:01 pm

I played the first Hearts of Iron a bunch with my buddy. We had a fun game as the Turkish Persian Axis one game. I was the ultimate US isolationist the next time I played. I teched up and nuked Europe back to democracy. I found that the game crashed if you eliminated both the commies and the axis.

If you play more seriously, it is a really fun game. I'll check this new version out for sure.
I ask you to kill Superman, and you can't do that one, simple thing.

Return to Ye Olde Bunkere (RTS Forum)