Sins of a Solar Empire

where we devise our cunning strats of things and such and such and anon, etc.. and erhm.. stuff... make it go BOOM!!!! meet and greet, organize yer RTS games here.

Sins of a Solar Empire

Postby shipwreck » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:15 pm

Home Page
First Official Movie / Live Demo

I've read about this game off and on for about the last six months. I never took the time to really delve a bit until I saw that video on Gamespot and, simply put, this game looks freaking cool. The way guy sells it on the video, it sounds like the game for all strategy gamers: There are small maps for short games, huge epic maps for games that could take months (with a multiplayer save feature, kthx). You can play, again to use the key adjective, epic games where you build up your empire and trade, influence via culture, and wage gigantic space battles or you just play it like a standard RTS. Best of all, it's macro-management focused: no clickfests!

He also calls it a combination of Total Annihilation and Homeworld. Could be a winner.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Re: Sins of a Solar Empire

Postby dark.rabite » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:27 pm

I saw this a while back and it looks great. Save games for MP games is great. i wish supreme commander had that.

if im reading that right, 81 days till release?
dark.rabite
Fogey
Fogey

Postby shipwreck » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:12 am

dark.rabite wrote:if im reading that right, 81 days till release?

Sounds about right! I'm assuming my lil' compy can run this thing, at least at low settings. Should be worth picking up!
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby The Nighthawk » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:50 pm

The game is now out, and Penny-Arcade has done a couple little write-ups promoting it last week. Apparently there will be a demo out in a month or so, and I'll definately be downloading that to see how the game plays. :)

As a side note, the developer is local to most BC fogies, they're in Burnaby.
A person who won't think has no advantage over someone who can't think
The Nighthawk
Dagger, Shield, CLAW!!!
Dagger, Shield, CLAW!!!

Postby Florp Incarnate » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:18 pm

I've been playing this for a couple of days now. It's pretty cool. I can see lots of possibilities for serious play in this game... raiding etc.

The (possible) downside is that games take a LONG ASS TIME

We're talking over 3 hours for a small map compstomp.
Florp Incarnate
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord

Postby BigDXLT » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:30 pm

So, let me get this straight, I'm a nub in this whole genre, even though I always look at any game with neat-o looking spaceships and think "cooooool", but are we talking freelancer + starcraft here (too put it really simple)? It's not a mmorpgth, but games just take a long time, like load up and meet folks on vent a couple nights a week, do battle until the evil pie hoarding empire is destroyed, load up next week, start from scratch, sort of thing?

On a side note, I'd still like to see a good sequel to freelancer... Hell, I should get a copy of that game again... Hmm...

BUT THAT IS OFF TOPIC THINKING RIGHT THERE.
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby Darwin » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:11 pm

BigDXLT wrote:So, let me get this straight, I'm a nub in this whole genre, even though I always look at any game with neat-o looking spaceships and think "cooooool", but are we talking freelancer + starcraft here (too put it really simple)? It's not a mmorpgth, but games just take a long time, like load up and meet folks on vent a couple nights a week, do battle until the evil pie hoarding empire is destroyed, load up next week, start from scratch, sort of thing?

On a side note, I'd still like to see a good sequel to freelancer... Hell, I should get a copy of that game again... Hmm...

BUT THAT IS OFF TOPIC THINKING RIGHT THERE.

BigD appears to have posted on topic, can we have this deleted please?
MeatSpace: David
NS-Darwin
Now Serving 16450
:shock:
"Because keeping people advised requires helpfulness but running a server requires spite."
Darwin
Carnifex of the Akimbo Smoking Guns
Carnifex of the Akimbo Smoking Guns

Postby Niteowl » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:25 am

I'll totally try and buy freelancer if we can get a group of fogies who would like to play. There is a way to play Multi-player isn't there?

Of course, this could go the way of the Firefly MUD thing I suggested earlier.
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

Postby BigDXLT » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:53 pm

Freelancer had multiplayer?

Unless it was like co-op or something I'd imagine that would be kind of boring. Funny that considering a roommate and I got into this game at the same time we never tried the multiplayer though...
BigDXLT

Postby The Nighthawk » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:19 am

BigDXLT wrote:So, let me get this straight, I'm a nub in this whole genre, even though I always look at any game with neat-o looking spaceships and think "cooooool", but are we talking freelancer + starcraft here (too put it really simple)? It's not a mmorpgth, but games just take a long time, like load up and meet folks on vent a couple nights a week, do battle until the evil pie hoarding empire is destroyed, load up next week, start from scratch, sort of thing?

I've never played freelancer so I can't answer your comparison question. However, in starcraft terms, yes, it's like starcraft on a grander scale. Even the smallest maps with 2 players will take an entire evening to finish (3-4 hours). The larger games will require the commitment of several times a week for a month or more to finish.

It sounds right up my alley. :D
The Nighthawk
Dagger, Shield, CLAW!!!
Dagger, Shield, CLAW!!!

Postby Florp Incarnate » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:19 pm

Not only does Freelancer have multiplayer, but it has ginormous PERSISTANT WORLD servers with massive modifications that let you control capital ships and convoys of superfreighters among other things.

Sins of a solar empire is hotsauce. I played a 3 hour compstop with my old man yesterday.
Florp Incarnate

Postby clamatius » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:45 pm

I'm guessing I'd like this game but the time commitment is probably too high. Little kids kinda reduce the amount of spare time you have (atm we have 3 kids under age 5)...
Obligatory blog link.
clamatius
Domo Arigato...
Domo Arigato...

Postby Niteowl » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:59 pm

clamatius wrote:I'm guessing I'd like this game but the time commitment is probably too high. Little kids kinda reduce the amount of spare time you have (atm we have 3 kids under age 5)...

Holy SMOKES you've been busy. Don't worry, when they are in college and won't return your phone calls because 'you are so not with it', you'll have oodles of time to play!

I"m currently sowing in my daughter the idea that I'm neigh senile.
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl

Postby BigDXLT » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:27 pm

Pre note: I installed the Freelancer demo pretty much after my last post, and while I didn't try the multiplayer (did read about it though) I right away started to have fun with it. Man, that game looked (too) damn good on my old computer and while it could really use a bit of freshening up (all that bump mapping/specular highlighting/candy) the game play itself and everything felt pretty good. I remember getting kind of bored doing the same thing over and over, but if they took what they had there and massaged it a bit, it'd be pretty sweet. (And on a side note to this pre note: The "go to a bar and click on someone you want to talk to about information/jobs/etc" did nothing but bring back memories of Strike Commander. Man, I loved that game. That's a game that needs to be brought back into the 21st century! Wait a tick... I think I ended up playing Freelancer after mentioning my desire for a new Strike Commander and having that recommended to me... hmm...)

Back on topic: While the game sounds entirely time consuming, I think I can live with that, I can't help but wonder about the scenario where Bob can't make it in for the evening, or Joe has to leave early, or what not. Do you just load up another game and go from there I guess? Or what if my kamikazee attempt fails and Bob and Joe have like a week of playing ahead of them, do I need to find new friends and get killed off early by them, rinse and repeat? (given the uptake of the game around here, this doesn't sound like a problem I'm guessing) Also, will it come with cruise control? I don't need power windows or locks, but damnit, I want cruise control. And I'd prefer the 4.7L over the 5.7L, tbh. Just because I know it's reliable and really, 280hp is plenty for me. And it should come in dark blue. Not a fan of the white. What's the ballpark for financing one of these things anyway? It's quite an investment, but really I should just do it.
BigDXLT

Postby The Nighthawk » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:33 am

BigDXLT wrote:Back on topic: While the game sounds entirely time consuming, I think I can live with that, I can't help but wonder about the scenario where Bob can't make it in for the evening, or Joe has to leave early, or what not.

I think that's what TF2 is for. :) Now if I could just be bothered to go get it, and Sins too for that matter... ;)
The Nighthawk
Dagger, Shield, CLAW!!!
Dagger, Shield, CLAW!!!

Next

Return to Ye Olde Bunkere (RTS Forum)