Dwarf Fortress

where we devise our cunning strats of things and such and such and anon, etc.. and erhm.. stuff... make it go BOOM!!!! meet and greet, organize yer RTS games here.

Re: Dwarf Fortress

Postby shipwreck » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:33 pm

A year is fine. Let's do it! Should a running narrative be required?

shipwreckd@gmail.com
Last edited by shipwreck on Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby fallout[aeronautics] » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:58 pm

jared.granberry@gmail.com for fortressy stuff!
My password was eaten by a rather large space goat. Egads.
fallout[aeronautics]
Strigiformophobic
Strigiformophobic

Postby shipwreck » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:42 am

Isometric visualizer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
http://tigsource.com/articles/2009/11/0 ... visualizer
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby CanadianWolverine » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:57 am

shipwreck wrote:Isometric visualizer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
http://tigsource.com/articles/2009/11/0 ... visualizer

My goodness! Its a demented dream of dwarves come true! Can it be combined with a tileset?

On an unrelated note: Are they any closer to the interface being mouse click menu and scroll control rather than keyboard memorize the hot keys?
Check it out! I finally figured out where to make a avatar that will fit on the forums! http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/
CanadianWolverine
Cutest. Baby. Evar.
Cutest. Baby. Evar.

Postby shipwreck » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:23 am

I don't think that's ever going to happen, not until he hires people or sells the IP to a bigger developer with mainstream dreams.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby BigDXLT » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:30 pm

I think they've flat out stated that a sane user interface is on the bottom of their list of things to do.
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby CanadianWolverine » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:27 pm

Oh well, its just difficult for me to get into building the dwarf fortress of my dreams or nightmares when I feel like I am playing a ye'old flight sim.

Still, that add-on looks fracking fantastic.
Check it out! I finally figured out where to make a avatar that will fit on the forums! http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/
CanadianWolverine
Cutest. Baby. Evar.
Cutest. Baby. Evar.

Postby shipwreck » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:16 am

And I don't think it can be combined with a tileset (as in changing the sprites) but it does work with the MayDay graphical version. It doesn't animate, though, which is weird; I need to test it to see if it's my pc or that I'm using the graphics pack.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby shipwreck » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:37 pm

shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby BigDXLT » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:35 pm

Brilliant.

I enjoy reading about dorf forts more than playing the game. That's not to say that I dislike playing the game, it's just a huge timesink.
BigDXLT

Postby shipwreck » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:27 am

BigDXLT wrote:Brilliant.

I enjoy reading about dorf forts more than playing the game. That's not to say that I dislike playing the game, it's just a huge timesink.

It is. And then there are those moments that blow your mind.

Like yesterday, I'd started a new fort for the first time this year and got the dorfs settled when I finally started digging deep and found a 10 layer deep cavern full of exotic plants, mushrooms, gems, and a giant frog that wreaked havoc on my fort.

Now it's time to explore!

Edit: Everything I need to know I learned from DF.

Fact: War Dogs are no substitute for fighting dwarfs.

Fact:Any claim of intrinsic fighting abilities on the part of dwarfs are largely false.

Fact: Five Goblin raiders can take out a colony of 60+ dwarfs.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby Florp Incarnate » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:40 pm

Fact: A pregnant legendary bonecrafter mother-dorf who goes insane and then gives birth, will probably use her newborn dorf to create a legendary dwarf-bone totem.

Just sayin'.
Florp Incarnate
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord

Postby BigDXLT » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:30 pm

Ohhhkay.
BigDXLT

Postby clamatius » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:54 am

I'm back to the dwarves.

Things started out well - the Barony of Abbeydangers was up to 92 dwarves and had a wood-powered steel production setup going, multiple irrigated underground farms, vast living quarters and 16 militia plus a couple of guards. A gigantic, intricately carved dining hall was the centerpiece of the fortress. Only one dwarf had gone insane so far. The skilled craftsdwarves had already constructed 3 artifacts along with enough trade goods to buy everything from every trade caravan that visited.

However, running out of wood was looking entirely possible, so it was time to start delving deep to look for magma. Digging way down, the dwarves drilled into an enormous cavern. The cave spider webs everywhere were a bit worrisome, as apparently a giant cave spider can be pretty nasty (the little ones are ok).

Masons built a door in the gap in case access to the cavern was needed later and the miners kept digging down. But the dwarves dug back into the cavern! The thing is enormous and full of twisty turns that make it hard to dig in the walls.

Then Ino Irumaco Sedmeutesh, Forgotten Beast came.

"An enormous skinless crocodile. It has two short horns and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its poisonous gas!"

No problem. It can't fly and the masons are walling off the only areas that flying creatures could come from. The door was forbidden - if it doesn't see any dwarves hopefully it'll stay put. And it did.

The dwarven smelters and furnaces were hungry. The dwarves ran out of wood again and had to really scout around outside to find more trees. The wood was just being hauled into the fortress when the Beast knocked down the door to the caverns. This wasn't good at all. All 16 militia were stationed in the corridor before the main cavern staircase, along with their 25 war dogs.

Ino Irumaco Sedmeutesh came racing out of the staircase and dug in. In a heartbeat 3 dwarves and an untold number of dogs were unconscious. This seemed like a sufficiently large problem that the fortress could be lost, so masons started walling off the militia from the rest of the fortress and the rest of the dwarves began to flee from the fortress to the other side of the map. A human caravan was visiting, so maybe their warriors would defeat the beast as a last resort.

Meanwhile, deep underground, poison gas, mighty claws and fearsome teeth were killing the well-trained dwarves as they hammered, axed and shot the enormous Beast. Rivers of Beast, dog and dwarf blood covered the entire corridor.

Finally - finally! - the last dwarf felled the Beast with her silver hammer. All of his 15 militia compatriots were dead or unconscious, bleeding out. The masons hadn't even started to seal the stairwell. Still, a great relief.

That was when the goblins arrived. 8 of them, all armed with maces. I hastily ordered all the (unarmed) dwarves back into the fortress and they started to flee the goblins. Dwarf after dwarf fell to the greedy maces. Almost all the dwarf children were slain, since they were slower runners than the adults.

Luckily, the chasing goblins ran into a veritable wall of cage traps and weapon traps inside the main fortress gate and were caught or slain - only one goblin remained and he ran away.

The deeply traumatized surviving militia dwarf was hastily given an honorary retirement from military service for fear of her going insane and the draft restarted. Cheesemakers, fish cleaners and other nonessential dwarves were handed blood-drenched arms and armour and told to start practicing. Life in the fortress resumed. The human trade caravan finally left but a lot of dwarves seemed strangely idle. Then the first dwarf died of thirst.

The masons had finished walling off the stairwell a while ago.

Miners frantically started digging out the trapped dwarves. Luckily the legendary mining dwarves Eturn Tostkib and Tosid Rabudil were so fast that only a couple more dwarves died of thirst before the path was clear.

With all the distraction from the stairwell fiasco,the rest of the fortress had been neglected. Alcohol stocks were dangerously low although the underground farms had supplied an enormous amount of food. On investigation, a lack of wood had meant that the carpenters had stopped making barrels and then the brewers didn't have barrels to make booze. The woodcutters sallied forth to chop down the few remaining trees.

But before a single axe hit a tree, Otthat Leknor Umamgemur, the giant Cyclops arrived and killed a woodcutter. Back inside the fortress went the dwarves. The Cyclops pursued but was rather anticlimatically immediately caught by the last cage trap. The goblins and cyclops were unceremoniously hauled off to the prison near the barracks.

After this experience, the dwarves set about making a drawbridge at the fort entrance, overlooked by the 5-story archery tower nearby. The miners once more set to digging deeper. The militia were all set to train hard but were somewhat distracted by chasing and slaughtering fast-running giant elk birds causing havoc all round the fortress. The horned birds had flown into a hole into the caverns 15 stories above the cavern floor that the masons had overlooked.

Once the last bird was dead and the gap to the caverns closed, the dwarves noticed the stills were quiet again and alcohol was getting low. Suddenly:

A vile force of darkness has arrived!

Goblins. Lots of goblins. Specifically, 15 goblins all armed with bows, led by a goblin riding a flying giant cave swallow. After they killed a couple of woodcutters, the drawbridge to Abbeydangers was raised. The invading goblins took up a firing squad position northwest of the fortress and settled in for a siege.

The miners at once set to work on digging a giant pit to drain a murky pool and build a well so that not all the dwarves would die of thirst. Dwarves flocked to the waterfall pouring into the pit to get a drink of water. Even with this new water source, with no booze available, numerous dwarves hated the tainted water so much they would die rather than drink it. And die they did. The forges deep underground were busy forging metal barrels to let the master brewers make at least a little alcohol.

(to be continued)
Obligatory blog link.
clamatius
Domo Arigato...
Domo Arigato...

Postby shipwreck » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:16 am

Ah! I miss the dorfs...

Great story, Clamatius! Screens, please.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

PreviousNext

Return to Ye Olde Bunkere (RTS Forum)