Dwarf Fortress

where we devise our cunning strats of things and such and such and anon, etc.. and erhm.. stuff... make it go BOOM!!!! meet and greet, organize yer RTS games here.

Re: Dwarf Fortress

Postby BigDXLT » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:48 pm

BigDXLT likes this. Image
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby clamatius » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:14 pm

Sure. Here's the main entrance of the city of Abbeydangers (Kuletkezat in the Dwarven tongue).

MainEntrance.jpg
MainEntrance.jpg (88.63 KiB) Viewed 3377 times

Note the assortment of siege weaponry in the bottom left guarding the main approach. The dwarves haven't had to use them "in anger" yet - the last attack was just an ambush of melee goblins. Abbeydangers' standing army killed them all with just one civilian casualty.

Meanwhile, the miners have finally delved down to the magma lakes and the magma smelters are being set up all the way down there.

I use Mayday's tileset - straight up ASCII is a bit too much even for me.
Last edited by clamatius on Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Obligatory blog link.
clamatius
Domo Arigato...
Domo Arigato...

Postby clamatius » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:15 pm

... and here's the main living quarters of Abbeydangers.

Quarters.jpg
Quarters.jpg (68.5 KiB) Viewed 3372 times
Obligatory blog link.
clamatius
Domo Arigato...
Domo Arigato...

Postby clamatius » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:48 pm

Alright. This is the second real test for Abbeydangers.

Some uninvited visitors showed up last night. They seem a little bit grumpy about what happened to the goblin ambush.

There are 56 goblins, comprised of:

15 pikemen
2 macemen
15 spearmen
15 hammermen
6 axemen
Snamoz Ngomoloz, Goblin Elite Crossbowman
Ultes Snodubmutog, Goblin Spearmaster
Em Stosbubzemkom, Axe Lord

Oh, and the minor matter of 8 trolls.

Most of the goblins are mounted on war animals of various kinds. Some of them fly, some of them swim, some of them are big enough to destroy buildings and they are all very large.

7 giant toads
10 giant cave swallows
5 elk birds
9 cave crocodiles
7 voracious cave crawlers
7 giant olms
4 rutherers

To arms! To arms!

*dwarves running everywhere, drawbridges creaking up*
Obligatory blog link.
clamatius
Domo Arigato...
Domo Arigato...

Postby BigDXLT » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:17 pm

:shock:

:axe:
BigDXLT

Postby clamatius » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:13 pm

META-NOTE: This game is really good. The defense this time was very exciting.

The Fortress Defense Lever was pulled just a little bit too late to stop a ton of trolls and goblins piling into the front entrance. All of the civilian dwarves made it safely into the fortress though. Then the main drawbridges were retracted so many, many goblins were stuck on the main approach with no way to get off short of jumping a long way down.

Luckily, the trolls were distracted by wanting to destroy the siege equipment, so the mounted goblins made a first wave, followed shortly thereafter by the trolls. The militia were all ready, waiting behind a wall of ingenious dwarven traps. The air was black with flying crossbow bolts and scything blades, leaving all the goblins and almost all the trolls dead. Some of the nastier monsters made it past the blade and crossbow traps to fight the militia. All fell to the dwarven crossbows except the ones caught in cage traps:

1 troll
2 voracious cave crawlers
1 cave crocodile

The goblins with flying mounts either couldn't or didn't want to go in alone. The civilian dwarves slowly rebuilt the ballistae and added a catapult as the Tin Punches squad of marksdwarves readied crossbows and cut down the nearby goblins.

The ballistae started up after the militia cleared the area.

Let me just say you do not want to stand in front of those weapons. At all. They were not very accurate but anything they hit was more or less killed, including the Goblin Elite Crossbowman, the Goblin Spearmaster and many of the large mounts. Many of the evil invaders killed were several screens distance away.

Eventually the goblins that weren't trapped gave up and left under a hail of long-range (and sadly ineffectual) catapult fire.

No dwarven fatalities were recorded. The worst injuries were incurred by a surgeon who decided to take a picnic in front of a ballista and he is expected to make a full recovery in the dwarven hospital.

Abbeydangers endures.
Obligatory blog link.
clamatius
Domo Arigato...
Domo Arigato...

Postby Florp Incarnate » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:29 pm

I think its great that you guys are still playing too! I start up a fort every two months or so.

My most successful fortress had a very interesting defence mechanism: I build walls with 3 spaces between them and around 30 spaces long. The main fortress gates (floodgates attached to a lever) were on one end, and the other end connected to the main walls. When enemies would run into this chamber, I would seal both ends with floodgates and pump it full of water from the nearby river. Once all the enemies had drowned, I pressed the last lever to drain the chamber. Then my dwarves could loot the corpses and make totems from their boooones. This proved to be so effective I got bored and abandoned the fortress :)

At one point I had just finished drowning an army of goblins when the next army arrived. They ran right up to my gates, and I opened them, causing a massive tidal wave of water and drowned goblin corpses to smother them and knock them into the river where they were devoured by carp. Most satisfying.

I think I'll start a fort!
Florp Incarnate
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord

Postby clamatius » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:09 am

One thing that amused me is the habit on the official forums of answering pretty much every question with magma, e.g.

"I'm having trouble with being overwhelmed on year 2 by goblins. What can I do?"
"Magma."

"My duke keeps mandating that I make things out of slade, which doesn't even exist."
"Magma."

There's also a lot of DF win right here:

http://fuckyeahdwarffortress.tumblr.com/
Obligatory blog link.
clamatius
Domo Arigato...
Domo Arigato...

Postby BigDXLT » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:39 pm

Magma is the perfect solution to all your problems. Specifically, throwing all the dorfs head first into magma is gratifying and effective!

Side note: I've now loaded this up again and I'm staring at my caravan without a clue what to do. I mean, other than the miners who I have currently hollowing out a mountain. Not only the learning curve steep, but to for the sake of useless metaphor, it's like riding a bike... if you're 92 years old and confined to a wheelchair.
BigDXLT

Postby Florp Incarnate » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:53 am

Magma really IS the solution to all of your problems. In one of my more troublesome noble's quarters, I placed a golden lever connected to a floor hatch over a magma pit. Urist McNobleAsshole went and pulled the shiny new lever that some peon had installed in his absence.... suddenly his demands ceased.... and the room was filled with the rich aroma of grilled dwarf.

I've also performed this using a room of disarmed goblins. Death by a thousand goblin bites.
Florp Incarnate

Postby Florp Incarnate » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:00 am

BigD: Are you using a custom tileset? You really should be. I use Mayday. Google "May Green Dwarf Fortress".

Also you need Dwarf Therapist to really make the game sing. It gives you a sweet interface for managing skills and assigned jobs. You can google that, make sure you get the newest version.

I won't even play DF without Mayday and Dwarf Therapist.
Florp Incarnate

Postby BigDXLT » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:47 pm

Been using the LazyNewb package that makes switching tilesets and updating easy. Yeah, ain't no way I could ever be remotely hardcore enough to go without a tileset.

Haven't heard of the therapist thingee though. Will have to give that a look-see. My biggest problem is that I forget build orders and how to do this and that. There's just so many options...

Anyway, I abandoned my first fortress after a few of the little bastards decided they'd rather starve to death than do actual work like, you know, gather food and stuff. Well, it was when one decided he would not eat until I got him a bucket that I decided these miserable jerks weren't worth my time. I guess he was traumatized by a badger sow or something.

Edit: It's part of the LazyNewb pack... woot!
BigDXLT

Previous

Return to Ye Olde Bunkere (RTS Forum)