Anti Email Spam Measures?

Posts and discussions about serious/illuminating/interesting topics.

Anti Email Spam Measures?

Postby mooseman » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:46 pm

Hi All,

I am on a quest to find a good anti-spam measure that can be applied to a business email address that can't be changed.

I am looking for something that can deal with hundreds of spam emails a day.

On a related note, one of my clients has an ISP that simply asks the sending email server to re-send the email before it delivers it to the inbox. Since most spammers are hit-and-run types, the resend request is never honored, and the spam is never delivered. I just had that enabled on his account and his spam load went from 1000 :shock: a day to 3 a day. :D

Unfortunately, I can't use that ISP for this current spam problem. Nor can I get the web host to enable that re-send request thing. So, I guess that leaves me to find some other solution.

Note that I am NOT looking for ways to prevent an email address from being picked up by spammers. It's too late for that.

So, let's see what the Fogie Brain Trust can come up with...

Cheers!

Moose
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
mooseman
Swamp Donkey Overlord
Swamp Donkey Overlord

Postby T. Ali » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:50 pm

Hey Moose,

Can you get the host of this unchangable email address to forward the mail to a different account? Then you could pick a host that had as much spam protection as you wanted and send the mail there.

That "make the sender resend" thing is sometimes called "greylisting" I belive. My host doesn't seem to offer it, I was thinking of asking them if they would. So I was glad to see a description of a real-world scenario where it is used.
T. Ali
Power Nerd
Power Nerd

Postby Amnizu » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:57 pm

You can set up your gmail to redirect to another email, and as a result it'll filter the email through gmail's exceptional spamfilters.

If that's not feasible, I recommend Mozilla Thunderbird. It has extensive spam filtering ability as well as extensions to automatically download blacklists and the like.
Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
Amnizu
Shockingly Good At Video Games

Postby mooseman » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:47 pm

Yeah, yeah, i'm listening, keep em coming.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
mooseman
Swamp Donkey Overlord
Swamp Donkey Overlord

Postby Bob@Work » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:41 pm

I find that Microsoft office outlook 2003 actually works quite well to get rid of the spam, and anything that Microsoft doesn’t get then Norton anti-spam picks up. The downside is it takes massive amounts of system recourses to run those 2 programs.
Bob@Work
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Ni » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:00 pm

http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/ It's what I use at work...for MS Outlook.
Nothing makes a woman angrier than a sleeping man. --Anon
Ni
He Who Demands Shrubberies Uncouthly
He Who Demands Shrubberies Uncouthly

Postby Niteowl » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:50 pm

Ni wrote:http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/ It's what I use at work...for MS Outlook.

That's what I use too.
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

red condor

Postby Funka! » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:07 pm

http://www.redcondor.com/

i've got a work account set up with this now, has so far been very effective (good filtering, very rare falses) but is a paid service, a "managed" email filtering --- you point your domain's MX record to their hosts, they receive and filter out all the crap that gets sent, and then only deliver the legit emails to your own MX. You get a daily summary (or every few hours or whatever) emailed to you, fully linked of course to read, unblock, forward, whatever. great for lightening the inbound load on your own hosts if you're running your own mail servers off the ol' office modem...

-f!
Funka!
OldF Rockstar
OldF Rockstar

Re: Anti Email Spam Measures?

Postby mooseman » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:33 am

Riiiise Zommmbie!

Actually, wanted to provide an update.

I have had some more success with this lately.

I routed a client's email through Google's servers, which gets you the benefit of the best spam filters in the world.

I got him a free Google Apps acct, changed his domain's MX settings to point the email for the domain to G-apps, and then made matching email accts in G-apps. Then I reconfigured his email client to collect email from his G-app's, Gmail-like interface.

Works like a charm.

Also, I had another client who was getting a ton of spam form submissions. Like, spambots were filling out the form on his site and submitting it to him. I went and changed the name of the script that was processing the form, and then encoded the form with the HiveLogic javascript encoder. That seems to have worked, too, (zero spam form submissions) although hasn't been running long enough to really tell.

:)
mooseman
Swamp Donkey Overlord
Swamp Donkey Overlord

Postby BigDXLT » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:31 pm

Interesting. I'm hoping to implement a web form on our companies website one of these days. (Very low priority though compared to the billion other things I need to do.) Might be looking for tips like that one day.

Also, I had an information email address on our website for about a week and it went from nothing to spamalot. I've since replaced it with a .jpeg of our address (still get a few, but nothing our filters can't handle.) Any tips on safely putting a business email out into the wild webs like that?

On a humourous (to me) note, one of our customers has all of his email go through his Church's filters - which includes an actual pair of eyeballs. He's never gotten a bit of spam, but he was complaining that he also missed out on a lot of dirty jokes/youtubes/etc from friends on his whitelist over the years. :D
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby mooseman » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:58 am

BigD, the Church Spam Filter idea is awesome. There's a for-pay service waiting to happen. I wonder how many people would pay to have someone make sure there are no false positives and that no spam made it through. Just imagine the relief of NEVER having to worry about spam or false positives. And the missing out on the off color jokes part is funny. :lol:

Also, those solutions I mentioned are for business email addresses. Thousand spam a day email addresses.
Try the Hive Logic enkoder. It just takes a sec. It works on a regular mailto: You copy a pile of javascript, paste it into your html, and when a browser loads the page, it displays a regular email link.

If you can't/don't want to change your MX, Gmail can collect POP3 email. Then you set up Outlook to collect the email from Gmail and voila. I haven't tried that, but it should work.
mooseman
Swamp Donkey Overlord
Swamp Donkey Overlord

Return to Discussions