Relatively Noisy, Relatively Budget Blowing PC

Posts and discussions about serious/illuminating/interesting topics.

Postby BigDXLT » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:02 pm

So the biggest fear with buying OEM version is my motherboard dying and needing a new version of vista... (Worry about that bridge if I have to cross it?) On the other hand, having a transferable retail copy would be nice in the event I become slightly wealthier than I am now and can afford another machine before Windows 7 comes out.

What's the story on formats too? That article seems to imply that if I have the disc, and it's on the same motherboard, I can reinstall to my hearts content? (I've heard scary things in this regard.)

Gah. Such a PITA. All of this is good to be thinking about though.
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby Tainted-Beef » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:57 pm

Are you running XP right now?

You could just install XP and reformat later when you know Nvidia has better support for vista. That also would make an upgrade retail version an easy possability. Technically you don't even have to upgrade, you just need to insert an XP CD and give it a key during installation (at least thats how it has been unless they changed it in Vista).

I'm almost tempted to back down to XP until drivers get better, however I hit a major snag.

50$ after my last post I was still having snags (I baught a crap-ton of fans, and a new heatsink/fan for my processor, name brand all the way around. Heating problems under control, however it was still rebooting. About an hours worth of research later I found out my PSU was not capable of running my GTX, damn. Thus the rebooting, well some of it (some was heat related). So I go down to frys and get a no-name Nvidia SLI supported 800 watt PSU, big mistake. Plug that crap in and everything fries, quickly. My CPU temp goes from 50-60 in about 10 seconds, and the computer shuts down. Wouldn't turn back on. So I am having to RMA all of my parts pretty much, return the PSU, and spend an extra 50$ on a name brand one just to run my stupid video card. I also had to research brands to find out there was one out of about 20 that didn't have issues with the GTX line of cards, which is strange, but apparently the high end PSU's are all having just as many issues as the Video Cards, and Vista systems. Goddamn this is turning expensive.

Motherboard - 120$
RAM - 115$ (Was only 100, but returning the DOA ram had a 15% restocking fee)
CPU - 200$
PSU - 250$
8800 GTX - 500$
Hot Swap Hard Drive Bays (to make my system SLI ready due to room contraints) - 60$
Fans - 50$
Shipping on RMA's - 30$
Vista Buisness - Free (Go Educational Licenses)
Tax - 130

Totals - 1455$ without Tax
This is without the 2 Hard Drives, Case, and DVD-RW I already had. Not to mention I plan on getting another video card down the road which will probably run me another 400$ min. On the plus side I almost am able to rebuild my old Dual Xeon with all the parts I'm having to upgrade out of. Anyone know some cheap colo services for a tower?

On top of all that even once I get my RMAs back assuming they will fix the stuff for me, I will still have driver issues in Vista. GAH!
ImageImageImageImage
Tainted-Beef
Unwilling Provider of Filet Mignon

Postby shipwreck » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:51 am

Yikes.

It's stuff like that, when I think of building a new machine or upgrading, that makes me say, "You know, I could get an Xbox 360 for less money than a new video card."
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby Tainted-Beef » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:22 pm

You don't want to hear about my Xbox 360 experiances. I'm on my second one, I've spent at least 100$ on repairs for the first, 100$ on modding it. And at least 400$ on games and accessories locking me into buying a second, blah. The 360 is really a POS when it comes to design, I showed to it my dad who's an EE and he just burst out laughing looking at the way they designed that thing, heat really was not a consideration, I mean they are working on making it better, but they are limiting improvements to small CPU's and new clips which really do not fix any of the circuity problems, just a band-aid over a huge gaping wound. The system needs a total redesign.
ImageImageImageImage
Tainted-Beef

Postby BigDXLT » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:41 pm

Yikes.

Also: I'm running Ubuntu right now primarily because my (illegit) copy of XP conveniently disappeared when my hard drive took a crap a year ago. This machine I'm on now came with Win ME OEM back when I was a complete nubbins as far as buying a computer went.

Friend of mine has been through 3 360's since it launched. Latest one seems to be lasting though. (Got them all on warranty I think though, fortunately.)

My bro's PS2 was a piece of junk too (randomly corrupted memory cards, won't read discs anymore.) Only reliable system to buy is a Nintendo system, but sadly they don't have all the good games. (Just most of them! Ha!)
BigDXLT

Re: Relatively Noisy, Relatively Budget Blowing PC

Postby Tainted-Beef » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:19 pm

So it gets worse. I RMA'd my Processor and my motherboard. Get back new processor and a rebuilt mobo. Plug everything in and it powers up, however it wont display anything. I'm afraid my 8800gtx was fried, which wasn't a plesant thought. Well I pop a x1300 from my tivo into it and still no picture, so it might be the graphics card, but that isn't all the motherboard isn't working. Tried new ram, in every slot, in every possible configuration and it will not boot. It could be the processor too, but I hope a brand new intel will at least post. No lights no sounds no nothing. So now I have to send the mobo back to newegg, get as much of my money back from that as I can and order a new on. I decided to go all out and get the striker extreme since it has a little lcd display in the back which displays post errors (very handy with all the issues i've been having) plus with all the attaching and reattaching of motherboard i've been doing a few of it's other features really shine. Now I just have to cross my fingers it works when I plug it in, bleh.
ImageImageImageImage
Tainted-Beef

Postby Niteowl » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:23 pm

This is like one gigantic ad to get a Mac! I'm glad my PC assembly went off with out (much) of a hitch.
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

Postby dklein » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:11 am

Bioshock runs reasonably on my Macbook Pro, I must say.

I can't say I've ever had issues with my PS2, and the last system I built, around 3 years ago, also went off without a hitch.

Are you sure you weren't cursed by some little young thing at the Best Buy and are now relegated to some sort of RMA hellmouth?
"Don't worry... it only seems kinky the first time..."

[OldF] Heinrich Maneouver
dklein
That's ONE RICH HEINY!!
That's ONE RICH HEINY!!

Postby shipwreck » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:19 am

I had a random thought today that might fit in this post. I'm beginning to feel like the Socrates of geekdom: one thing only I know, and that is that I know nothing. The geekier I think I get, the more I realize that I'm just not one. I have recreational, geekish tendencies. That's about it.

I applaud you, Beef. I would've smashed the thing into sparky bits many moons ago.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby BigDXLT » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:12 am

I may just go home tonight and hug my Wii. :O
BigDXLT

Postby BigDXLT » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:14 am

Err... that just sounds wrong on second thought...
BigDXLT

Postby Faust » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:00 pm

BigDXLT wrote:I may just go home tonight and hug my Wii. :O

BigDXLT wrote:Err... that just sounds wrong on second thought...

Ahh, the horse that never quite manages to die :lol:
Faust
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Tainted-Beef » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:12 pm

I might think to go Mac if they had a decent Mac on the market, but frankly they don't. I'm planning this system to last at least 2 years video card wise, the best macs under 4k have at tops 1 year on the video card, not something I really want to deal with. Currently they aren't even on the 8 series, and they are not on or planning to be on 680i anytime soon. They do have a lot of cool tools built in on a solid OS but to be honest I get sick of listening to every mac owner talk about how much better macs are. It really detracts from the system, I mean yea it's decent, but it really isn't better than windows for a power user, for someone who wants something that will boot, run their games, etc it's wonderful. But I want to do things like registry hacks, condensing windows, etc which is really easy with tools out there for windows, for OSX that means digging into UNIX, which I have little interest in doing. That and I have a legal copy of windows vista I got for free, go team. Otherwise systems around the specs of the one I'm building are running 4k with the parts I'm now running (it started out a bit lower), so the 2k I'm spending in the end is a pretty good price, it just sucks that I'm spending months in RMA hell waiting for all of said awesome parts to be in the same place and working. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have the whole thing running. I even build an automated stripped down vista install with all of my drivers built in just in case it does run!

That being said what I should have done from the start is watch ads from frys. Their normal prices are pretty crappy, but their sales are on par with newegg without the rma hastles. I could have gone to the store and returned the stuff the same day it blew up rather than a week later and then having to wait another week for the new stuff to come, that and I wouldn't have to pay lame restocking fees.

As a note at times I did want to destroy parts of my computer, however when I look at it as the amount of money I put into it, it's pretty easy not to do so.
ImageImageImageImage
Tainted-Beef

Postby BigDXLT » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:14 am

Faust wrote:
BigDXLT wrote:I may just go home tonight and hug my Wii. :O

BigDXLT wrote:Err... that just sounds wrong on second thought...

Ahh, the horse that never quite manages to die :lol:

Hey, I owned a subscription to Nintendo Power for the better part of my childhood, and I still can't bring myself to say "wii" out loud to anyone. Revolution would have been such a more appropriate and better name grumble grumble...
BigDXLT

Postby Feyd Rautha » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:11 am

I buy all my parts on-line. Not going to Frys is always the best option.
Feyd
(!wired)?(coffee++):(wired);
xbox360,PS3,skype: othermark
http://twitter.com/atkin901
Feyd Rautha
Best. Mic. Evar.
Best. Mic. Evar.

PreviousNext

Return to Discussions