Relatively Noisy, Relatively Budget Blowing PC

Posts and discussions about serious/illuminating/interesting topics.

Relatively Noisy, Relatively Budget Blowing PC

Postby BigDXLT » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:08 pm

The last time I was semi-seriously looking at a new rig was like over 2 years ago now.

Where the hell do I begin? Dual cores... quad cores now... Lions... Tigers and Bears oh MY!

Checklist off the top of my head:
  • New LCD. 19-21inch or equivalent widescreen. 1280x1024 is a fine resolution for me. Don't want the native resolution to be too high or I'll need that much better vid card to run it... 1600x1200 would be hot though.
  • Crysis cruncher vid card. Well. Sorta. From what I can tell the nVidia 8800 GTS should be good bang for the buck. Really, I have no idea.
  • Reliable.
  • Hard drive space on the minimum side. Right now I'm using 10 gigs of my 120 avaiable. A few games could step that up I realize, but if the case has room for a second hard drive anyway...
  • Best bang for the buck sound card.
  • I'm thinking $2000 is a reasonable budget to shoot for. Give or take some.

Now, it's going to be a while before I actually buy this machine, but the gears are finally turning again. I'm going to also peruse through some of the other threads of similar topics, get some ideas and so forth, so if folks want to update on how things are holding up in their rigs, that'd be totally bodacious.
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby Niteowl » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:55 am

HEE HEE!! I cannot help you, because, obviously, you are building the exact opposite of what i got :D

Of note, the q6600 quad cores are really cheap, $280, if you shop around. HOWEVER! There are no games or applications that take advantage of 4 cores, and very few that use 2.

If space isn't an issue, I hear supa performance crazies like their HDD at 10,000 rpms.
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

Postby shipwreck » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:53 pm

Just buy this one.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby Niteowl » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:57 pm

shipwreck wrote:Just buy this one.

I kid you not, I have this printed out and posted on my cubicle wall.
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl

Postby Niteowl » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:58 pm

Shipwreck : holy CARPS!

BigD, I found this article to be pretty helpful:
http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/guide-200706.ars/3
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl

Postby Faust » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:55 pm

shipwreck wrote:Just buy this one.

*drool*

Wicked paint job, and bonus points for the Buffy theme, even though the portraits of buffy and Spike were mediocre. The axe-wielding female silhoutte fan covers were a nice touch.

The embedded battle axe takes the pie however :)
Faust
Fogey
Fogey

Postby BigDXLT » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:23 pm

Shipwreck:
What the hell is that thing?

Owl:
That's the kind of readings I needs!

Also:
Owl, do you print out everything shipwreck posts and put it on your cubicle wall? ;)
BigDXLT

Postby Niteowl » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:39 pm

BigDXLT wrote:Also:
Owl, do you print out everything shipwreck posts and put it on your cubicle wall? ;)

What.. uh.. I thought everyone did that?
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl

Postby Pykl » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:33 am

I built one a couple months ago and got a core duo 6600 as that was the best price performance deal at the time. Also right now the nvidia gts 8800 is a really good deal, prolly better than when I got it. Can hook up two monitors and has loads of performance. If you get vista get at least 2 and preferably 4 gbs of ram. If you need a new monitor the samsung 226bw is a 22" widescreen lcd, I bought one yesturday and have two 20 inch widescreens at work. They're great. The 8800 will run them fine.
Pykl
Elder
Elder

Postby Faust » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:55 am

Vista 32-bit can only assign a maximum of 3.1GB of memory to the user. This number can lessen if you have more hardware installed on your machine, as memory needs to be dedicated to those devices.

So be aware of this when you buy 4GB of ram, because your not going to get your money's worth unless you go to Vista 64-bit.
Faust
Fogey
Fogey

Postby BigDXLT » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:16 am

Maybe I'll go for 3 gigs... :D
BigDXLT

Postby Faust » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:22 pm

BigDXLT wrote:Maybe I'll go for 3 gigs... :D

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was my impression that motherboards can get finicky with a configuration of (2)1GB sticks in dual channel mode, and a 3rd stick of 1GB memory in single channel? Could this potentially revert all sticks of ram into single channel mode? I've never tried this myself, so I am uncertain. I'm sure someone here will be able to verify/disprove this claim.
Faust
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Pykl » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:37 am

I have vista 32 bit and 2gb ram no problems. I didn't get 64 bit because of all the driver issues etc. I know several people running it, some have no problems others went back to xp cause of the problems.
Pykl
Elder
Elder

Postby BigDXLT » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:30 pm

I'll probably get 64... all the hardware in the new box ought to have appropriate drivers anyway. USB devices ought to work as always (the whole point of USB isn't it? Plug'n play?)
BigDXLT

Postby BigDXLT » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:55 pm

Okay, my heart is getting set on the intel quad somethin er other and the nvidia 8800 gts 320 meg'r. (What a complete flip from the last time I was looking at machines... ati/amd combo to this evilness!)

Now... should I wait until crysis comes out and benchmarks for what's the better is out? I really don't know if I can wait that long to play some of the games that are coming out in the mean time... :O

BigD: [the old machine is running the gauntlet toward the biggest gaming explosion in years] The new games - they've stopped!
Bank Account: [realizes why] Stabilize your rear deflectors... Watch for enemy temptations.
BigD: They're coming in! Three marks and 2-10!
[New games start flying in, BigD starts to panic]
BigD: It's no good down here, I can't maneuver!
Bank Account: Stay on target.
BigD: *We're too close!*
Bank Account: Stay on target!
BigD: [shouts] Loosen up!
BigD: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
BigDXLT

Next

Return to Discussions