WATCHMEN MOVIE BLOG! OMGOMGOMG

Posts and discussions about serious/illuminating/interesting topics.

WATCHMEN MOVIE BLOG! OMGOMGOMG

Postby Niteowl » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:40 am

God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

Re: WATCHMEN MOVIE BLOG! OMGOMGOMG

Postby Faust » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:10 pm

I've been hearing snippets about the proposed watchmen film for like a year now on darkworlds. Nice to see they're making some progress. Which reminds me that I still have the entire watchmen volume sitting in my bed-side drawer, mostly unread.

Honestly, a nearly unread copy of the watchmen is probably reason enough to take some time off of work this winter. If only I didn't work electronics retail... :(
Faust
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Niteowl » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:11 pm

Stop doing anything else. Finish the comic books! Watch the portly Niteowl try and do good with his cool owlie toys!
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl

Postby Ni » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:46 pm

Holy carp! You have a Wikipedia page? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nite-Owl

I just ordered the Watchmen book...I shall see what this is about.
Nothing makes a woman angrier than a sleeping man. --Anon
Ni
He Who Demands Shrubberies Uncouthly
He Who Demands Shrubberies Uncouthly

Postby Faust » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:36 am

Ni wrote:Holy carp! You have a Wikipedia page? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nite-Owl

I just ordered the Watchmen book...I shall see what this is about.

I'm sure you'll love it just as I have loved reading the first few pages :) (where's a blood-spattered smiley emoticon when you need one?)

Wikipedia wrote:"To date, Watchmen remains the only graphic novel to win a Hugo Award,[2] and is also the only graphic novel to appear on Time Magazine's 2005 list of "the 100 best English-language novels from 1923 to the present."

The Watchmen was written by Alan Moore, who has written a slew of other great work like The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Constantine (which friends of mine claim is uberfantastic, however I have yet to read any issue). Some of Moore's work has been translated to film such as From Hell and V for Vendetta, as well as the other two I mentioned.

I do find that the films utterly pale in comparison to the graphic novels, at least from what I found comparing The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen film to the comic. Moore himself loathes any film translation of his work.
Faust
Fogey
Fogey

Postby CanadianWolverine » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:22 am

Mmm, Watchmen.

Ozy for the win!

Rot for the crazy win!

Hehe...

I am totally surprised that on a forum where Owleh stares us down all the time, there weren't more of us who had read the Watchmen. :lol:
Check it out! I finally figured out where to make a avatar that will fit on the forums! http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/
CanadianWolverine
Cutest. Baby. Evar.
Cutest. Baby. Evar.

Postby Feyd Rautha » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:20 am

I read a friends copy of The Watchmen in college. I can't even recall what the plot was.
Feyd
(!wired)?(coffee++):(wired);
xbox360,PS3,skype: othermark
http://twitter.com/atkin901
Feyd Rautha
Best. Mic. Evar.
Best. Mic. Evar.

Postby Zenbu » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:58 am

You know, when (and if) this move comes out, and I watch it, I won't be able to stop trying to compare or expect some of our Nitey's quirks to come through on the screen. I'll probably think that his super hero-ness is just a ploy to make everyone think good of him, while he deftly "relieves" everyone of "evil" pies!

Not to mention I probably won't be able to stop laughing every time nite owl shows up on the screen. I shall prepare myself for sideways glances and confused looks!
Zenbu
Spewing Fantastic!
Spewing Fantastic!

Postby BigDXLT » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:07 pm

Same here!

Oh, and I am so tempted to go vandalize that Niteowl wikipedia entry... :twisted:
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby CanadianWolverine » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:31 am

BigD: "You can do eeet!" :D
Check it out! I finally figured out where to make a avatar that will fit on the forums! http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/
CanadianWolverine
Cutest. Baby. Evar.
Cutest. Baby. Evar.

Postby Niteowl » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:53 pm

Those pies can cause cancer you know. They also kick small children from their Fisher-Price toys and steal their heretofore unpilfered candied coconuts. I don't make this stuff up. And then there is the whole issue with a small cabal of pies starting what is now known as the American Military Industrial Complex. Pies are evil, pies are bad, let Nitey relieve you of your pies!!!!
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl

Postby shipwreck » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:40 am

Just finished Watchmen yesterday. Good golly.

I'm actually I hadn't read it earlier in my life as I don't think I'd have appreciated it as much, nor been able to handle the deep, psychological motivations of some of the characters. What pushed me over the edge was the rave review Lost's Damon Lindelof gave it and the subsequent influence therein - you can see all kinds of Watchmen-y goodness all over Lost (especially the Dr. Manhattan / Desmond similarities). I'll definitely have to read it again shortly - there was so much I missed, so many layers to be delved into. My only gripe was that the ending seemed a little anti-climactic.

Favorite character - Rorshach.

Hopes for the film - They better not try to 'update' it and set it in the 2000's. The bizzarro Cold War 80's works perfectly and would be fine for any modern audience. I also hope they're able to keep as much of the novel in there as possible and not cut out certain things (It seems like the 'Black Freighter' sub-story would be the first to go). I also hope they can maintian the depth of the story.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby Niteowl » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:36 am

shipwreck wrote:Favorite character - Nite Owl II.

FIXED THAT FOR YA!!! :P

Yeah, everyone says Rorscharch.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl

Postby shipwreck » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:19 am

No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby shipwreck » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:10 pm

Did you guys see the costume shots on the blog? Nitey looks a little weird imo.

shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Next

Return to Discussions