The Ubuntu Experiment

Posts and discussions about serious/illuminating/interesting topics.

Re: The Ubuntu Experiment

Postby clamatius » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:05 pm

FWIW, I'm posting this from the Ubuntu/Gnome machine I'm using at work at the moment. There's still a few rough edges (I had to manually edit xorg.conf to get twinview to work the way I wanted) but generally I'm impressed. Much better than back in the day where practically every Debian upgrade broke X and there were a ton of hardware incompatibility issues.

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is a good, free remote X session system I can use via the VPN when I'm working at home and need the Linux work box, since I don't have a Linux machine at home right now. Xming works but it's pretty sluggish via ssh tunnelling (and I haven't figured out how to get the other session thingy working yet).
Obligatory blog link.
clamatius
Domo Arigato...
Domo Arigato...

Postby mooseman » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:15 pm

I set up my e-tarded girlfriend with a Kubuntu system on her 800mHz Compaq a while ago...a year or so. She hardly noticed the difference. It had FF, and T-bird, and Open Office Write and that's all she cared about. I had to edit some conf files...install some codecs. Set up Foxmarks to transfer bookmarks, and got a password export add-on to move her saved passwords. But it was pretty transparent to her. Another successful experiment.

I like Puppy a lot. It would work, too, but with a tiny bit more unfamiliarity due to odd sounding program names.

I have a hobby of collecting of computer parts and putting together machines to give to people like your friend, BigD. It is amazing how many people are creaking by on PII's. Craigslist isn't much help around here though. Not enough people.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
mooseman
Swamp Donkey Overlord
Swamp Donkey Overlord

Postby BigDXLT » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:21 pm

So I went and visited them this weekend, it's mostly his wife that uses it so she had a little list of things that bugged her, most of them being pretty trivial in the grand scheme of things. The next time I get a chance I'm going to fix them and get a few more codecs for them, didn't have much time to fool with it...

Got the last couple things sorted out on my sled and finally went out for a good snowmobile ride! Woo!
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby mooseman » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:11 pm

Sweet! Sled Pr0N!

:D
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
mooseman
Swamp Donkey Overlord
Swamp Donkey Overlord

Postby BigDXLT » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:19 pm

I just got a call from him a little while ago, apparently it started freezing up at the login screen. He'll be halfway through entering his password and the mouse, keyboard, everything freezes. D'oh.

(I'm not sure if I noted this elsewhere, but when I gots my current job, I moved to the town down the road, which is a good hours drive away. Running over to fix silly things like this isn't exactly convenient. :()

Also: I got a small case of frostbite today when I had to run out on sled to a tower that had died for god knows what reason. Problems that can be fixed by a reboot, but require 4 hours to accomplish are kind of annoying.
BigDXLT

Postby pr0phetik_dreamz » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:43 am

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=795036

Oh man, this is sooo cool! I wish I would've thought about implementing remote desktop like this earlier. You can set up one Ubuntu box, but have multiple clients connect to it remotely concurrently. I'm using this right now for my friend's indie cafe, for the guest PCs. One Ubuntu server, with multiple stripped down clients with a script to automatically connect via VNC to the server (to prevent people from installing junk on the guest PCs).
An Original American Pai
pr0phetik_dreamz
the Chivalrous Cybernetics Lover
the Chivalrous Cybernetics Lover

Postby BigDXLT » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:10 pm

VNC is pretty useful as is, but that sounds like a really neat use for it, kind of an "extra thin" thin client, no? Would work pretty sweet with some nice cheap, compact eeebox's:Image
BigDXLT

Previous

Return to Discussions