Vacation Plans

Posts and discussions about serious/illuminating/interesting topics.

Re: Vacation Plans

Postby Niteowl » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:14 am

BigDXLT wrote:
Niteowl wrote:One option is to do a little tour of Vancouver/lower mainland, trying to spot the locations for various movies and shows (BSG, x-files, smallville, etc, etc, etc).

I've been doing it the other way around, making mental note of places (around Langley anyway) that I've seen in person.

Mostly it's "OH WOW! I'VE SEEN THAT FIELD!" and "I TOTALLY RECOGNIZE THAT INTERSECTION!"

Oh, the exciting life I live.

And I didn't know BSG was filmed in Vancouver too. That's pretty cool.

OH HAY LOOOK! CAPRICA!!
(Vancouver Public Library ,this is also where 90% of 'The Sixth Day' is shot)

Another look of Caprica, this time where Six kills that baby with her fingers!
(Simon Fraser University)

OHNOES!! Where Crashdown lives up to his name, Gaius imagines that Adama drowns TEH BABAY, and where crashdown gets shot by Gaius.
(Pitt Meadows)

NOT TEH CAPRICA BABY FARM!!!
(New Westminster, Old Prison)

Where everyone has crazy dreams about the final five and TEH BABAY
(Orpheum Theatre, Vancouver)

Where Apoll-- I mean Richard Hatch, tries a run for President, also the ship that gets NUKED at the end of ... season 2, IIRC.

Algae PLANET!! Where the EYE OF JUPITER IS!!!
kamloops
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

Postby Fade Dunaway » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:33 am

*Nerdgasm*
"Never hit a man with glasses. Use a bat instead."

AKA Alcoholocaust
Fade Dunaway
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Anonymoose » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:02 am

I'd definitely have to recommend Vancouver. I went there for 5 days last year and I loved it.
1f u c4n r34d this u probably remember what my sig used to be and are missing it as much as I am :(
Anonymoose
Doddering Old Fool

Postby Florp Incarnate » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:47 pm

Props for the Dr. Claw post! Next time gadget! Next time!!!!
Florp Incarnate
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord

Postby geetness » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:00 pm

Here is a list of things you could do or see

Granville Island - old industrial area that was converted to a public market and arts centre.

Grouse Mountain Sky tram thingy. Great view of the city from one of our local ski hills. I think they also have some form of grizzly sanctuary up there.

UBC Museum of Anthropolgy. One of the best collections of West Coast and other assorted aboriginal art. Lots of totems there too.

Rent a bike and ride around the Stanley Park Seawall

Rent a bike, get a bike route map and ride up the Cypress bike route. It takes you through Vancouver's old mansion district. Lots of nice houses to look at. Don't even begin to guess how many million each costs

Stanley Park - 1000 acre urban park. 3rd largest in North America.

Van Dusen Botanical gardens

Science World

The Vancouver Aquarium

Chinatown - 2nd largest china town in North America

Go have Dim Sum for lunch. We have some of the best Chinese restaurants outside of China and Hong Kong. Even our crappy Chinese restaurants are pretty good.

Visit one of the night markets. There is one in Chinatown and one in Richmond. The Richmond one is bigger and better, but harder to reach without a car. The one in Chinatown is smaller, but can be reached easily from the city centre. Both are open on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights.

If you want to see some neighborhoods in the city I recommend checking out West 4th Ave west of Burrard St (Kitsilano), and Commercial Drive north of 1st Ave (The Drive). Both are neat local shopping streets, not really tourist areas. Lots of restaurants and shops. Kitsilano is a little more yuppie and the Drive is a little more hippy. Some other shopping streets you might like to check out would be Robson St. and Denman St.

If you like Malls, you can take Skytrain from downtown to Metrotown, the largest mall in BC.

Take the Seabus to Londsdale Quay Market. Another public market.

If you like sushi, we have a zillion sushi restaurants. I am sure everyone on the board has their favorite they can recommend.

Out of town excursions include Whistler as others have mentioned, Victoria, if budget and time permitted I would recommend a quick jaunt out to Tofino and Long Beach. The Gulf Islands are nice too.
geetness
Young Insolent Whipper Snapper

Postby Niteowl » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:28 pm

Goshdang good list there, geetness.
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl

Postby mooseman » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:03 pm

Geetness! Nice start for post number one! We will expect great things from you now.

I want to go to Vancouver too. It's been on my list for awhile.

I would probably spend as much time as possible in ethnic restaurants: whenever I go see my sister in Seattle, which isn't often enough, I always get my Ethiopian, Vietnamese, Dim sum, Korean bbq fix.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
mooseman
Swamp Donkey Overlord
Swamp Donkey Overlord

Postby Wolfgang » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:17 pm

Just an update on my travel plans - a trip to Vancouver seems unlikely for now, as travel expenses have continued to rise and certain unforeseen scholastic expenses have entered the picture. I will keep in mind the suggestions and advice laid out here for when such a trip becomes more feasible. Right now it looks as though the backup trip to Indiana to visit some relatives may well be delayed too. Thanks muchly.
Wolfgang
Fogey
Fogey

Postby McRiot » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:19 pm

you all forgot one important detail about BC...

it's home to the popular by demand..

McRiot Lan Parties!
McRiot

http://www.razenet.com
Kisst - GuildWars 2 : Stormbluff Isle
McRiot - League of Legends
McRiot
King of Lan Partays!
King of Lan Partays!

Previous

Return to Discussions