Vacation Plans

Posts and discussions about serious/illuminating/interesting topics.

Vacation Plans

Postby Wolfgang » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:08 am

I am in the very early stages of planning a vacation for around August of this year. It was originally set to be to somewhere in England, but what with the falling value of the American dollar and all I figured Canada would be no less enjoyable and yet maybe a bit cheaper. Currently the general direction is toward Vancouver, British Columbia, as my father has some associates there and has been there a couple times. As such, I would ask for any advice you might be willing to share with me, and appreciate it immensely. I know I rarely post here, but I do tend to browse and read - I just largely have nothing useful to contribute, so I try to abstain for contributing anything useless (not that I haven't, upon occasion). I do have one direct question as of yet: would it be better to fly into Seattle (from North Carolina) and drive, or to fly directly to Vancouver? Or somewhere else entirely? Many thanks.
Wolfgang
Fogey
Fogey

Re: Vacation Plans

Postby Niteowl » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:33 am

Vancouver is great! When it's not raining! And if you aren't planning on buying any real estate! Or spending any time in traffic!

What sort of things are you looking for in a vacation, I guess would be my first question.
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

Postby CanadianWolverine » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:45 am

We have natural-ish parks up the wahzoo if you are into that sort of thing. BC has plenty of mountains too, it you are into anything to do with that.

But Vancouver, eh? Hmm... BC's biggest city, but when compared to US big cities, that probably isn't saying much. To be honest, I don't really go to Vancouver all that much, so I'm probably the last person to ask but I did have some fun there around gas town, just browsing shops and eating at the Old Spaghetti Factory.
Check it out! I finally figured out where to make a avatar that will fit on the forums! http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/
CanadianWolverine
Cutest. Baby. Evar.
Cutest. Baby. Evar.

Postby Wolfgang » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:34 pm

Hrm, well, to be honest this will be the first time I've ever gone away from home on any sort of vacation - and the second time I've been out of the US, so I suppose most anything entertaining. In terms of what I'm looking for I'd probably have to say some relaxation and some exploration - I can relax at home, so I also want to experience some of the things more foreign to me (I have thus far lived in rather small, rural-ish sorts of places). Vancouver came to mind for many reasons, not the least of which that I have heard that it is quite place to vacation/tour. I'll take note of this Old Spaghetti Factory, and as the time draws closer I'll start looking for hotel locations and such, though I suppose that also depends on what sort of budget I end up having to work with. Thanks.
Wolfgang
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Pykl » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:58 pm

You might want to spend a few days in Whistler, it's a few hour drive from Vancouver and is primarily a ski resort, it will be the centre of the 2010 Olympics, however there is plenty to do there in the summer as well, in fact I hear it's the most busy time of year there. If you like camping and hiking theres lots of parks here, the aquarium is good if you haven't been to one. Theres lots of trendy shopping, restaurants and bars downtown and the odd movie star. I don't hang out downtown so I dont' know many good places there.
Pykl
Elder
Elder

Postby Darwin » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:19 am

Spending your paid time off dealing with airports, distant relations, hotels, strange customs and laws, burning up 2 of your days in travel alone. This sounds like a good idea? Vacation time should be used to fortify your defenses against the next zombie uprising, or some other suitably relaxing practice. You're mad sir, simply mad.

If you really have nothing better to do at home, get a kitten. The savings in air fair will feed him for life.
MeatSpace: David
NS-Darwin
Now Serving 16450
:shock:
"Because keeping people advised requires helpfulness but running a server requires spite."
Darwin
Carnifex of the Akimbo Smoking Guns

Postby CanadianWolverine » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:44 am

Darwin wrote:Spending your paid time off dealing with airports, distant relations, hotels, strange customs and laws, burning up 2 of your days in travel alone. This sounds like a good idea? Vacation time should be used to fortify your defenses against the next zombie uprising, or some other suitably relaxing practice. You're mad sir, simply mad.

If you really have nothing better to do at home, get a kitten. The savings in air fair will feed him for life.

Now I picture Dar, the shut in, sitting in an underground bunker, stroking his cat on his lap, playing games...

Inspector Gadget is never going to catch you, huh/
Check it out! I finally figured out where to make a avatar that will fit on the forums! http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/

CanadianWolverine
Cutest. Baby. Evar.
Cutest. Baby. Evar.

Postby CanadianWolverine » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:45 am

Pykl wrote:You might want to spend a few days in Whistler, it's a few hour drive from Vancouver and is primarily a ski resort, it will be the centre of the 2010 Olympics, however there is plenty to do there in the summer as well, in fact I hear it's the most busy time of year there. If you like camping and hiking theres lots of parks here, the aquarium is good if you haven't been to one. Theres lots of trendy shopping, restaurants and bars downtown and the odd movie star. I don't hang out downtown so I dont' know many good places there.

Whistler is definitely budget dependent though, one of the more expensive places I have encountered.

CanadianWolverine
Cutest. Baby. Evar.
Cutest. Baby. Evar.

Postby Furious Gorge » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:35 am

Can you describe more what you like doing or what you're looking for?

I know you mentioned exploration? Do you like discovering different cultures? Visiting scenic landscapes?

Are you into doing new outdoorsy activities, like zip-trekking?

Or are you into the night club/bar scene?

When were you thinking of coming down roughly?
[OldF]*Furious Gorge aka 9, 1001, NSPlayer, CAPS LOCK, CLARK KENT
Furious Gorge
OldF sekrat polizei
OldF sekrat polizei

Postby Wolfgang » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:51 am

Ah, well, I do have a cat that is rather starve for attention what with me being away at school most of the time... Perhaps I will spend a bit of time taking care of him. As for Furious Gorge's questions: Generally I don't do much while at home - I play various computer games for many hours at a time. I do usually enjoy meeting new people and witnessing new and perhaps different ways of living. While I have lived in mostly more rural places, they have also usually been in the more developing areas - a good bit of human habitation is obvious, but not all encompassing, so I wouldn't mind the parks or landscapes discussed, with great hopes that they are superior to the park near my current residence - how natural is having various different animals in petting zoos and a plastic playground for kids? I've never been a big outdoor type person, but I don't mind trying new things (though I have no idea what zip-trekking is, so I might google it). Night clubs and bars are a bit out of my tastes - I've been to one before, and enjoyed it a bit, but I think I prefer less crowds and noise. So far the time is around early to mid August, though my summer classes end about halfway through June, so there is a fairly sizable window for reconsideration. Many thanks for the advice thus far (and the backup plan).
Wolfgang
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Fade Dunaway » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:29 am

Maybe it's because I'm from Seattle, but I think Vancouver is amazing. There's a ton to do if you stay downtown -- me and my friend take random weekend trips up there and we always have a blast. People are friendly, the drinks are strong, and the city is beautiful.

Seattle is really nice. There's a lot to do, especially if you like some more of the low-brow nightlife...dive bars, small venue concerts and the like. If you're looking to wait awhile, come up the last week in August and join us for PAX.

If you're not into the rain/northwest thing, San Francisco is amazing also.
"Never hit a man with glasses. Use a bat instead."

AKA Alcoholocaust
Fade Dunaway
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Niteowl » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:45 am

One option is to do a little tour of Vancouver/lower mainland, trying to spot the locations for various movies and shows (BSG, x-files, smallville, etc, etc, etc).
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl

Postby BigDXLT » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:51 pm

Niteowl wrote:One option is to do a little tour of Vancouver/lower mainland, trying to spot the locations for various movies and shows (BSG, x-files, smallville, etc, etc, etc).

I've been doing it the other way around, making mental note of places (around Langley anyway) that I've seen in person.

Mostly it's "OH WOW! I'VE SEEN THAT FIELD!" and "I TOTALLY RECOGNIZE THAT INTERSECTION!"

Oh, the exciting life I live.

And I didn't know BSG was filmed in Vancouver too. That's pretty cool.
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby Feyd Rautha » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:57 pm

I once did a long camping trip starting at Vancouver, through BC, then Alberta. Took about a week.
Feyd
(!wired)?(coffee++):(wired);
xbox360,PS3,skype: othermark
http://twitter.com/atkin901
Feyd Rautha
Best. Mic. Evar.
Best. Mic. Evar.

Postby Darwin » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:36 pm

CanadianWolverine wrote:
Darwin wrote:Spending your paid time off dealing with airports, distant relations, hotels, strange customs and laws, burning up 2 of your days in travel alone. This sounds like a good idea? Vacation time should be used to fortify your defenses against the next zombie uprising, or some other suitably relaxing practice. You're mad sir, simply mad.

Now I picture Dar, the shut in, sitting in an underground bunker, stroking his cat on his lap, playing games...

Inspector Gadget is never going to catch you, huh/

Duh.
MeatSpace: David
NS-Darwin
Now Serving 16450
:shock:
"Because keeping people advised requires helpfulness but running a server requires spite."
Darwin

Next

Return to Discussions