Gateway Computers

Posts and discussions about serious/illuminating/interesting topics.

Re: Gateway Computers

Postby Feyd Rautha » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:56 pm

shipwreck wrote:The CPU is definitely not overheating so the only thing I can think of is the random crashes doing something to the HDD or there's a bad surge protector involved. What do you guys think? Anything to worry about?

The GPU could be overheating though. I'd check the power supply as well.
Feyd
(!wired)?(coffee++):(wired);
xbox360,PS3,skype: othermark
http://twitter.com/atkin901
Feyd Rautha
Best. Mic. Evar.
Best. Mic. Evar.

Postby shipwreck » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:42 am

Well despite some advice to rollback my drivers I updated to the latest Nvidia and it fixed all the problems. Only trouble is that if I crank the graphics up in LotRO I get some weird glitches from shadows in-game.

Thanks anyway Feyd!
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby shipwreck » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:31 am

Well after a good while it's started up again. One thing I forgot to mention was that whenever this happens and I have to restart I end up with a 'Insert boot disk' or 'Disk read error' message at the bios. To check on the GPU I let RivaTuner monitor the temp and after playing TF2, L4D and LotRO for about an hour the max temp was 77 and there had been no crashes. Go figure. I also turned up the fan from 25% to 35%. Should it go higher or will that mess it up?

So the disk read error leads me to believe this has more to do with my hdd than anything else. MBR is screwed? Bad sector? I suspect I'll have to format if this persists.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Previous

Return to Discussions