Gateway Computers

Posts and discussions about serious/illuminating/interesting topics.

Re: Gateway Computers

Postby shipwreck » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:15 am

Will the 6g make much of a noticeable difference or is it just overkill, in your pr0phessional opinion?
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby pr0phetik_dreamz » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:12 am

I don't know of any game that uses more than 3GB, currently. I've got 4GB myself, but eh, more RAM is always nice, especially if you end up running lots of applications at once. The thing is though, shippy, that having lots of RAM is great and all, but you've got to have a processor that will be able to run enough programs at once to utilize that RAM as cache. I honestly doubt the 3GHz X2 is enough.. I'd say that you'd probably want at least a Quad or an extremely fast Dual to handle that.

Basically, I think that anything in technology is weighed down by its slowest part. We've got to try to make all the parts equal-ish, or else you won't see the benefit from a faster part, or more RAM. Also, I think that the Craigslist computer has an extremely low end motherboard in comparison to its other purported specs. The only real great thing going for it is the 6GB of RAM.. and since they don't make any 3GB x2 kits, it's probably a 2GB x2 kit (4GB) + 1GB x2 kit (2GB). That'd mean it's using mismatched RAM densities at the very least, and at the worst -- different ICs on the RAM sticks. That's bad overall of performance/tweaking. I'd stick with 4GB or 8GB.. and keep the sticks the same part number and all that stuff.

Just build ittt!! :D

Btw, I'm flying out in a few hours whoo!!
An Original American Pai
pr0phetik_dreamz
the Chivalrous Cybernetics Lover

Postby shipwreck » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:23 am

Thanks again, dude and have a nice flight!

I'm probably going to have to build it since our "Economic Stimulus" cash is going to the bank for some unforeseen circumstances so I'm scrounging some lewt together for the new machine. Anyone want to buy a Dreamcast? ;)
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby Cooter » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:05 am

shipwreck wrote:Anyone want to buy a Dreamcast? ;)

Owl?
Cooter
Feeling the Years Pile Up

Postby shipwreck » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:16 pm

Right! Here is my potentially final setup, to be ordered upon the reception of my paycheck on Friday. Please review and post any final concerns before the domination begins.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Publi ... r=12053967

And yes, I went with Intel because they refused to update to Vista...so they're not sell-outs. I, however, am. This is merely for convenience's sake: my friend who works at Microsoft couldn't get my XP x64 but he could get me Vista Ultimate for way cheap. My hope is that 4g of RAM can compensate for any performance issues at the behalf of Vista's memory gobbling.

Good day!
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby Feyd Rautha » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:34 pm

No video card?
Feyd
(!wired)?(coffee++):(wired);
xbox360,PS3,skype: othermark
http://twitter.com/atkin901
Feyd Rautha
Best. Mic. Evar.
Best. Mic. Evar.

Postby shipwreck » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:41 pm

I already bought a GeForce 8800GT (512). I couldn't afford the Ultra.

I've also already got a dvd-rom, media card reader, monitor, et al.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby Mentat » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:20 am

Good call on the RAM - G.Skill is really good. Biostar Mobo's are decent, but I have a preference for ASUS or Gigabyte, although $90 for the new P43 chipset is a good price. I think it's around $135 for the ASUS P5Q. As for power supply, 2 +12V rails with 18A each should be sufficient for the 8800gt 512MB. I prefer Mushkin 580W or Corsair, but the price is right on the Coolermaster. Overall, looks good.
Mentat
Fogey
Fogey

Postby McRiot » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:25 pm

Being that pr0ph pretty well said everything I would have said, I'm just going to add that everyone that wants a solid personal does everything machine should learn to custom build it! It almost always turns out better and it's a great experience :).

I've be building my own computers for the last 8 years or so. It's an educational experience and it's just nice to know ever little thing about your machine inside and out.
McRiot

http://www.razenet.com
Kisst - GuildWars 2 : Stormbluff Isle
McRiot - League of Legends
McRiot
King of Lan Partays!
King of Lan Partays!

Postby shipwreck » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:31 am

'Tis true! I'm almost ashamed to say that I've been gaming since I was 13, 12 years ago, and have never built a computer from scratch. I've tweaked and replaced just about every part but never actually put them all together...until now!

Now I'm looking into doing some basic modding. The stuff at casemodblog is crazy!!
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Teh New System

Postby shipwreck » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:05 pm

Hey now! I'm a week into my new machine and things are going quite swimmingly. Vista isn't as bad as I'd thought, the hardware runs great and I got everything mashed together with relative ease. The final specs are as follows:

Antec Three Hundred case
Biostar T-Series mobo
Wolfdale Core 2 Duo @ 2.5ghz, overclocked to 3
EVGA Geforce 8800GT @ 512m
WD Caviar 250g hard drive
my old Sony DVD-R
4g G-Skill DDR2 1066 RAM

Everything runs great! TF2 looks like I'm watching the Incredibles and LotRO puts the splendour of the Rockies to shame...not really, it just looks damn good and runs at the 'Ultra High' DX10 settings with minimal stutter. I also quite like the motherboard. It was cheap, has onboard HD audio and PCIE 2.0 (not that it's very helpful) and installation was a cinch. It also comes with some handy overclocking tools that even let you tweak it in Windows, as opposed to the BIOS.

The only issues thus far are as follows: having the psu at the bottom of the case made wiring her less tidy than I'd hoped. The HDD led doesn't work - no big deal, I'm sure I just wired it wrong. I've had two blue screens o'doom in the last week. Both have happened the next boot on the next day following a long play session after logging into Vista. Could the CPU be overheating? Should I turn down the overclock? Suggestions? The screen didn't last long enough for me to see any messages.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby mooseman » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:26 am

Congratulations Shippeh,

Sounds like a nice box.

I would think if the blue screens keep happening that it might be an informative experiment to turn down the clock a bit.

And, yeah, Vista isn't as bad as some folks say. I don't have a problem with it, and it makes some things easier.

Tell us about Air Rivals and about LotRO. I want to know if they are worth playing. Like, can you be a ranger? Or a wizard? How's the flight physics in Airrivals?
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
mooseman
Swamp Donkey Overlord
Swamp Donkey Overlord

Postby shipwreck » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:36 pm

Don't bother with Air Rivals - it's 100% grind, at least until you start PVP. I suspect it's something like Shadowbane in planes. The controls are just WASD + Mouse, nothing especially "simulator-esque" about it. Actually, it's reminiscent of Auto Assault!

I'm starting to love LotRO, despite my previous comments in the RPG forum. It plays a lot like WoW but is more epic and the story arcs are really fun and well-written. Middle-earth itself is simply breathtaking and worth downloading the trial for. No, you can't be a Wizard or Ranger or High Elf but you can be a 'lore master' who play a bit like Wizards but it's supposed to practical magic, more like conjuring. There are some minor (depending on your point of view) conflicts with the lore but you learn to appreciate what Turbine has done with the gray areas that Tolkien left wide open. Gameplay is standard MMO fare but again it has a different feel altogether, especially if you take your time. I say download the trial and see for yourself, though classes don't truly open up until late teens. Whatever you do, do NOT play an Elf Hunter. If you do, just don't tell me or I'll slap you.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby pr0phetik_dreamz » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:31 pm

Yay, your FPS went up!
An Original American Pai
pr0phetik_dreamz

Postby shipwreck » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:10 pm

Well the ol' compy has been running smoothly up until this last week. While playing LotRO it kept locking up until I found out there is some odd unresolved bug for running the game on Vista at a particular graphics setting. Having lowered the graphics setting it seemed to be running okay. There were some odd freeze ups while playing L4D and once I couldn't launch TF2 but mostly she's been running fine. Today the power went off for a second and afterwards I got the same boot error I got on the previous time LotRO locked up and crashed my machine. Basically it can't find the boot drive. I leave the computer alone and it's right as rain a few hours later when I play some L4D and the whole thing freezes up and does the same weird boot error.

The CPU is definitely not overheating so the only thing I can think of is the random crashes doing something to the HDD or there's a bad surge protector involved. What do you guys think? Anything to worry about?
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

PreviousNext

Return to Discussions