Blizzard (Vivendi) and Activision Merge

Posts and discussions about serious/illuminating/interesting topics.

Blizzard (Vivendi) and Activision Merge

Postby shipwreck » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:06 pm

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/posttech ... v=rss_blog

I'm not sure what to think of this. I thought Blizzard, and their publisher Vivendi, were big enough as it is. The punk rocker in me hates all this merging, big corporation stuff but it seems potentially good for gaming - PC gaming, anyway. Apparently big publishers keep the industry moving and the cash flow a'flowing in this fly-by-night industry. However I hasten to add that smaller studios acting independently seems much more appealing to me and, I think, will be the end result of the corporate spirit that's so possessed gaming (and music...and television...and movies...). Though I suppose it'll be nice for the EA gargant to have some competition; a King Kong to its Godzilla, if you will.

However, it's usually Tokyo that suffers more than the monsters.

I'll let the hamster in my brain get some exercise from this but ultimately the Wheel Weaves as the Wheel Wills, with or without these false-Dragons in the way.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Re: Blizzard (Vivendi) and Activision Merge

Postby Niteowl » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:21 pm

The most poetic post about a corporate media merger. Ever.
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

Return to Discussions