EeePC et al

Posts and discussions about serious/illuminating/interesting topics.

EeePC et al

Postby BigDXLT » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:15 pm

Anyone bought/borrowed any of these cheap little laptops? I've been keeping my eye on them for a while now, and at work I plan to recommend replacing field laptops with them (on a per need basis however) as even 8 gigs is more than necessary. Personally, I'm sort of holding out for better battery life myself and a 60-80 gig ssd. The fact that I don't really need one other than to fulfil some insatiable desire for something "neat" is also slowing me from jumping on'em. The new Acer Aspire One at just under $400 looks pretty slick though...
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Re: EeePC et al

Postby Niteowl » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:23 pm

WONDERING THE SAME THING!

(actually, about to buy one off of craigslist.. so maybe not so much wondering anymore)
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

Postby BigDXLT » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:35 pm

So, typing this on my new EeePC! My brother had gotten it for free when he signed up for a new bank account and given it to me for Christmas. It's the 4G surf model, aka the 701 (I think?) The smallest one I believe.

This keyboard is going to take some getting used to, that's for sure, with the actual letter keys not being to bad so far (as I type this) but the punctuation keys to the right of the letters are all smaller, with my pinky wanting to rest on the ' instead of the ; key, and subsequently, when I go for the apostrophe, I hit enter. But all around, this thing should work great for traveling. I plan to test it at work too, as mentioned above. I love how it's up and running 30 seconds (compared to my current work laptop that takes about a minute and a half before I can even see the desktop.)

The UI is not bad, though I'm not a fan of the XP style to the windows. I might play with the themes a bit, but I'm also curious to play with the Ubuntu Netbook Remix one day too.
BigDXLT

Postby St0nkingByte » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:41 pm

I want one so bad but I'm holding out for a 9 or 10" screen with a 1.6ghz processor at a reasonable price point.
Niteowl wrote:i like him. solid feller. and excelent post !
St0nkingByte
Coding Plugins for a Plugin of a Plugin
Coding Plugins for a Plugin of a Plugin

Postby shipwreck » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:58 am

A cohort of mine at school has one of these Netbooks and it looks very cool though, to concur with D, I have no reason to get one save to have something 'neat'. I've seen one with Ubuntu on it and it seemed to run nice in the demo (I think it's on Youtube). Keep us posted!
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby BigDXLT » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:30 pm

After using my eee for two weeks while on vacation, I will say one thing: DAMN IS IT NICE TO BE BACK ON A REAL COMPUTER. My monitor, a measely 19" feels huge and is so readable, and the keyboard! I can type again!

My first conclusion is that I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo installing Ubuntu on it when I get the chance. The Xandros OS, while it has some good points to it, just feels poorly implemented. And the 4 gig SSD didn't go far (was hoping to use it as a 1:1 backup for my camera) since the OS takes up 3 freakin' gigs according to the system information. Had a few other gripes with it, but otherwise it was just as I expected it. So I think I'll pick up an SD card to plug into the side of it as a second hard drive.
BigDXLT

Postby Treble Tu Bass » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:00 pm

Thread Revival

So I just started school again and I'm tired of lugging around my crappy 15" laptop. I've been looking into some Netbooks, like the Asus 1005HA-P. I would mainly use it for programming for now, but I don't really know what I have in store later usages. I'm majoring in Computer Engineering, do you think a netbook will suffice for a college engineer?
Treble Tu Bass
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Feyd Rautha » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:40 pm

I have the EEE 900A running freebsd-current, bought it off woot, and immediately bought the 64gb ssd and 2gb memory to go with it. Works great. I was looking at models and there is a EEE model that has 1366x768 or something with the 10" screen, however I don't like the fact that it has a HDD.
Feyd
(!wired)?(coffee++):(wired);
xbox360,PS3,skype: othermark
http://twitter.com/atkin901
Feyd Rautha
Best. Mic. Evar.
Best. Mic. Evar.

Postby pr0phetik_dreamz » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:07 pm

Hah, if you are going to use the netbook for anything intensive, especially compiling a binary that consists of more than a few hundred lines of code, then you are only causing pain to yourself. I use my MSI Wind only for email and web browsing. Considering that it barely runs HD Youtube videos, I can't say I use it much except as a fancy controller for my HTPC. Netbooks run Moblin, BSD, or Linux pretty decent. I have my Wind running OSX, though.

Why not get the Acer Timeline Acer Timeline 4810T? I have one running Windows 7, and I can say I really like it as a companion system to my more powerful desktop.
An Original American Pai
pr0phetik_dreamz
the Chivalrous Cybernetics Lover

Postby BigDXLT » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:44 pm

I would totally do a netbook size machine for a college course, though, just for the excellent portability. The things to look for are:
A comfortable keyboard. You'll want to be able to spend some time typing and not hitting keys that got moved to stupid locations.
Something with good battery life too. Finding a plugin in a lecture hall or classroom isn't always convenient.
SSD ftw. Being nearly instant on means you can take notes/get to work right away on it.
BigDXLT

Postby pr0phetik_dreamz » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:07 am

I get 7+ hours on my Acer Timeline 4810T with 70% LCD brightness (it's plenty bright at even 60%). That's with SpeedStep throttling the CPU down to 900MHz or so, and setting the hard drive to spin down after 15 mins of non-use. Even at 900Mhz, it's really snappy, since it's just a cut-down Core2 Duo. I have legroom to the maximum 1.4GHz though, if I need it.

Did I mention the Timeline has a full-size keyboard with the keys in all the normal locations? :)
An Original American Pai
pr0phetik_dreamz

Postby Feyd Rautha » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:58 am

All good points, the 10" seems to be minimum size from my peers at work, they have a hard time typing on the 9" models.

I used my EEE 900A on a recent road trip with the kids. Loaded it up with mpeg-4 dvd rips of their favs and played them with mplayer. No skipping or stuttering, and smooth video at full dvd resolution.
Feyd
(!wired)?(coffee++):(wired);
xbox360,PS3,skype: othermark
http://twitter.com/atkin901
Feyd Rautha
Best. Mic. Evar.
Best. Mic. Evar.

Postby Treble Tu Bass » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:51 am

can I score a timeline for around 300!?

The main reason I want to get a netbook or laptop is to have something portable to do some coding on the go, when I get home from a long day, I think I would dump the work i've done on the laptop/netbook onto my desktop.

my current laptop is embarassing cause the fan starts spinning exteremly loud after about 20 minutes of class, and my classes only consist of about 30 people...

How do you think a netbook would fair with visual basic????
Treble Tu Bass
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Niteowl » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:38 pm

Depends on how beefy your netbook is, but Visual Studio is a pretty intensive IDE. How big are your projects? (And where are you going to school, btw?)
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl

Postby pr0phetik_dreamz » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:03 pm

The cheapest you're going to go on the Acer Timeline is about $500 for a single core 1.3GHz version, which is still a few measures faster than an Atom.

If we're talking in terms of "netbook," as the understood term, and not the extrapolated one, then we're meaning Intel Atom N270 or N280 processors. Those run at 1.6GHz/1.66GHz respectively. They're also in-order processors, which is terrible for branchy code. I'm not coding for my day job, so others in our community are better suited to let you know how the Atom runs in comparison to regular processors. There are netbooks that run VIA C7-M CPUs or the new VIA Nano CPUs, but those are faster than the Atom, but a bit rare and seem to be in the $600+ enterprise netbooks.

If you're just using the netbook to write code, and you're not gonna sit there compiling it all day on the netbook, then I think you might be okay... if you get used to the slow speed.

Personally, I'm as offended as Intel has publicly stated numerous times. The OEM/ODM side has really taken this whole netbook/nettop deal and ran with it, morphing the architecture into something it's not meant to be doing. They were meant to be companion devices, to use more cloud services than local. They're really internet and media-centric devices, and as long as you know that, and understand that, they work quite well. To use it as a cheap laptop ... doesn't work so well.

I would just recommend saving up your money and getting an Acer, MSI, ASUS, or what have you, that has one of the new CULV processors like my Acer Timeline. It's still not the fastest, but it has plenty of legroom for more day-to-day stuff.
An Original American Pai
pr0phetik_dreamz

Next

Return to Discussions