EeePC et al

Posts and discussions about serious/illuminating/interesting topics.

Re: EeePC et al

Postby Treble Tu Bass » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:21 am

The biggest project I have right now is to program the Minesweeper game in C using vi or pico running putty. I'm not sure what's in store for me past that. I'm going to a Clark Community College right now in Vancouver, WA. I'll be transferring to a University in a year or so...

I can afford a faster Timeline. I'm just miserly and I don't like to drop a bunch of cash really fast.
Treble Tu Bass
Fogey
Fogey

Postby pr0phetik_dreamz » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:05 pm

Like I said, if you spend $300-400 on a netbook, and you are perfectly happy with what it has to offer... then go for it.

However, I wouldn't be penny pinching and end up with a mediocre experience. You've got to look at it this way: if it is too painful to run regular tasks or compile on a certain platform, you're probably not going to use it after a few very frustrated tries. Then it'd be a ridiculous way to spend $300-400, no? By no means go out and buy the fastest whiz-bang thing out there, it's probably not going to give you a good return on your investment... but be reasonable. If you have certain expectations, make sure your tools meet those expectations.
An Original American Pai
pr0phetik_dreamz
the Chivalrous Cybernetics Lover

Postby Feyd Rautha » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:03 am

Not that I would recommend HP (totally crap quality of late), but

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/24/hps- ... ts-at-400/

I am so going to be picking up a new ion platform when Asus comes out with their model probably later this year or early next. Either that or I'll be totally smitten with the new i7 models and spend way too much on a i7 ultraportable. lol.
Feyd
(!wired)?(coffee++):(wired);
xbox360,PS3,skype: othermark
http://twitter.com/atkin901
Feyd Rautha
Best. Mic. Evar.
Best. Mic. Evar.

Postby pr0phetik_dreamz » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:35 pm

Yeah, Ion is a good, albeit overpriced Atom platform that can do HD. Intel's new Pinetrail Atom platform is supposed to be able to do two HD streams simultaneously as well.

Still, in terms of general processing, Atom is pretty terrible. It should be seen and utilized for its strengths, which is a decent Internet-centric and media platform. I wouldn't code on an Atom netbook if my life depended on it :) Hell, it's too slow to even run the Adobe Creative Suite well.

I've played around with VIA's Nano platform and I actually really like it... it totally creams the Atom in terms of general processing at a similar price point... though VIA has sucked majorly in terms of chipsets in the last decade. The only thing that's really missing from VIA's Nano is a decent chipset. They do make Ion platforms that use the VIA Nano instead of the default VIA Chrome9 chipset... but eh, they're hard to come by, and pretty pricey for what they do.
An Original American Pai
pr0phetik_dreamz

Postby Treble Tu Bass » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:58 pm

Well I'm in to buying a laptop for under 600. Any suggestions? I've heard that the Timeline is alittle sluggish..
Treble Tu Bass
Fogey
Fogey

Postby pr0phetik_dreamz » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:42 am

That's because the Timeline isn't a mainstream laptop with a full-power CPU. It's not meant to be, no realistically, imaginary, or otherwise. Just like a netbook, it's designed for what it's supposed to do, and it does it pretty well. It's meant to be a secondary device that's faster than netbooks. It's meant to be used for web stuff, Outlook, syncing things, media stuff. It's not meant to compile 5 programs at one time, or open up 50 Firefox tabs at once.

Notebooks with Intel CULV processors are considered firmly in the sub-notebook aka "thin-and-light" category. You're not going to break any speed records here. Even the high end sub-notebooks, like the Apple Mac Air, VooDoo Envy, Lenovo Thinkpad X-series, which have regular ULV processors aren't really that fast. The reason why CULV notebooks are so much cheaper ($500-1000) compared to ULV notebooks ($1800-3000) is because they are slower. That's just how it is.

Again.

You have to look at the type of product is, and your needs, and balance both with regard to your budget.

You're not going to get a good sub-notebook for $600. Hell you're not gonna get a good full-power 15" notebook for $600. It's going to either have an underpowered CPU, or too little RAM. You'll have to upgrade it.

If you have $600 to spend, then you have got to realize that that is a pretty low budget in terms of notebooks. If your budget is less, then you've got to lower your standards. You can't want the best of everything but not be willing to pay for it.

Tu, you've got to do your research. Google works wonders. It goes a long way. In this entire thread since you brought it back from the bed, I feel like we've gone in like 10 different directions. It's just a bit frustrating when I'm trying to help you out.

Do your research about notebooks that are in your price range. Come back and post that here. Then we can talk about it in a more focused way.
An Original American Pai
pr0phetik_dreamz

Postby Treble Tu Bass » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:36 pm

Yeah, sorry! I'm too indecisive :oops:

Here's what I'm looking for...
• Dual Core CPU
• 2-4 GB RAM
• 13" or 15" and thing bigger is too much of a hassel
• I'll be running XP on it most likely, but I'd like to use 7.
• Laptop < 800$
• It needs to be able to handle an IDE. Most Likely Visual Sudios.
• Integrated Video is fine, the most entertainment value I'm looking at is hulu and movies.
• I'm mainly going to use this for college purposes, once I get a real job, I'll end up selling this and springing for a something super nice when I'm done being poor.
Treble Tu Bass
Fogey
Fogey

Postby pr0phetik_dreamz » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:38 pm

In terms of OS, Windows Vista is pretty mature by now. With 4GB of RAM, you should experience a pretty zippy system. Do note that with XP, unless you're running XP x64, you're not going to see any benefit from running 4GB+ RAM. Due to memory addressing issues that are inherent to all 32-bit OSes, you're going to only see anywhere from 2.5-3.25GB RAM usable by your OS. Windows Vista 64-bit is just fine IMO.

Dell. HP. Etc. Pick the fastest CPU and the most RAM you can get under $800. You probably won't be able to get an extended battery at this price point, but hey, that's a compromise you've got to make.
An Original American Pai
pr0phetik_dreamz

Postby Treble Tu Bass » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:45 pm

I'm not too worried about battery life so long as it's like at least 2 or even 3 hours. I'm normally plugged into a wall anyway.
Treble Tu Bass
Fogey
Fogey

Postby pr0phetik_dreamz » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:32 am

2-3 hours? Haha.

At that price point, if you skew the specs towards performance, you'll probably get 1.5 hours. Maybe 2 if lucky.

Again. Use my advice, add to that by doing your own research, come back with the *specific* laptops and their specifications, and I will help you choose from there.
An Original American Pai
pr0phetik_dreamz

Postby BigDXLT » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:29 pm

Saw this and thought of what you were looking for Treb.

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=40559 ... re=Toshiba

Canajun pricing, but still in your budget range, could even spare some cash for a bigger battery.

No idea what this processor is or can do, but crikey, it's still sounds pretty decent overall.

Edit, specs:

Code: Select all
Specifications    [ Edit | History ] - by David_W @Jun 24, 2009

Processor

* Intel® Pentium® dual-core processor T4200 (2.0GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache)

Operating System

* Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium 64-bit Edition

Memory

* Standard Memory: 2GB + 1GB DDR2 (800 MHz)
        * Maximum Memory: 4GB DDR2
        * Expansion Modules: 1GB, 2GB DDR2

Hard Disk Drive

* 250GB (5400 RPM); Serial-ATA hard disk drive

Optical Drive

* DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) drive supporting 11 formats
        * Maximum speed and compatibility:
        * Read: CD-ROM (24x), DVD-ROM (8x)
        * Write: CD-R (24x), CD-RW (4x), DVD-R (Single Layer, (8x), DVD-R (Double Layer, (6x), DVD-RW (6x), DVD+R (Single Layer, (8x), DVD+R (Double Layer, (6x), DVD+RW (8x), DVD-RAM (5x)

Display System

* Type: TFT Active Matrix colour LCD display
        * Size (diagonal): 15.4” Wide XGA TFT with TruBrite™
        * Native LCD Panel Resolution: 1280x800x16.7 million colours
        * External Support and Max. Colour Support (dependant on CRT): Up to 2,048 x 1536 x 16.7 million colours

Graphics Controller

* Mobile Intel® GMA 4500M graphics - up to 1342MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory with 3GB of system memory

Sound System

* Realtek ALC268-GR Software Sound, Intel High Definition Audio, Built-in stereo speakers

Communication

* V.92 56K Data/Fax Modem
        * 10/100 integrated Ethernet LAN,
        * Realtek Wireless LAN (802.11 bgn)

Expansion

* 2 memory slots – Slot 1 has 2GB. Slot 2 has 1GB. Zero free slots. Slots can be filled with 1GB and 2GB modules
        * 1 Express Card Slot
        * Ports: 5-in-1 Bridge Media Adaptor (SD Card, SDHC Card, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, Multi Media Card), 3 USB 2.0, RJ11, RJ45, external microphone port, headphone port, RGB

Keyboard

* Canadian Bilingual Keyboard
        * Full sized 87 keys with 13 Function keys
        * Color: Black

Pointing Device

* Touchpad Pointing device

Additional Software

* Toshiba ConfigFree™
        * Adobe Acrobat Reader
        * TOSHIBA Disc Creator
        * TOSHIBA DVD PLAYER
        * Norton 360 Trial
        * Microsoft Office 2007 Trial
        * Microsoft Works 9.0

Physical Dimensions

* Dimensions: (WxDxH) 362 x 267 x 33mm/37.7 mm
        * Weight: 2.49kg (5.49lbs)
        * Color: Aluminum Silver

AC Adapter

* 75W external Universal AC adapter input voltage (100 – 240V 50/60Hz Frequency (Universal), output voltage (19V, 3.95A)
        * Dimensions: (WxHxD) 127 x 51 x 30.5 mm
        * Weight: 350g

Battery

* Battery Type: Removable, Rechargeable 6-cell Lithium Ion (Li-ion) 10.8V x 4000mAh capacity
        * Battery Life: Dependent on usage
        * Dimensions: (WxHxD) 206 x 21 x 53 mm
        * Recharge Time: Up to 4 hours off / 12 hours on

BIOS

* TSETUP, ACPI, PnP, SM BIOS, PCI BIOS Support

Security

* Cable lock slot, power on password, supervisor password, HDD password

Environmental Specifications

* Temperature: Operating 5° 35°C (41° 95°F);
        * Non Operating –20° 60°C (-4°149°F)
        * Thermal Gradient: Operating 15 C per hr. max;
        * Non Operating 20 C per hr. max
        * Relative Humidity: Operating 20% to 80% non-condensing;
        * Non-Operating: 10% to 95% non-condensing
        * Altitude (relative to sea level): Operating: 0m to 3,000m;
        * Non-Operating: 0m to 10000m.
        * Shock: Operating: 10G; Non-Operating 60G
        * Vibration: Operating 0.5G; Non-Operating: 1G

Environmental Credentials

* RoHS

Warranty

* This Satellite notebook comes with a one (1) year parts and labour Limited International Warranty. Note the original battery is warranted for one year from date of purchase. Pre-installed software is excluded form TCL standard limited warranty. For complete details on this warranty program and other Warranty Programs such as On-site and Next Business Day Service visit toshiba.ca
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby shipwreck » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:47 am

Just picked up a new acquisition to play LotRO with Mrs. shipwreck.

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/toshiba ... olBtm;rnav

I guess I have a newer model because ours has a Radeon 4100 (not that it's much of difference). I'm usually loath to pick up a Toshiba or other such brand but the price was right ($500) and it gets the job done, even if the resolution is awkward and it comes with all that crapware installed. Such is the way of a fogie on a budget. Windows 7 is actually very nice as well.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby pr0phetik_dreamz » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:19 pm

That is a pretty awkward rez for the screen size. But the price looks good though.
An Original American Pai
pr0phetik_dreamz

Previous

Return to Discussions