New Video Card

Posts and discussions about serious/illuminating/interesting topics.

New Video Card

Postby Beasty » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:16 pm

Okay, question:

I'm thinking of upgrading my current video card (Nvidia 7950GT) to a more powerfull DX10 card. However, I don't have a pci x16 2.0. I've heard that you can run a 2.0 in a 1.0, but will it not work as well as a standard 1.0 card?
St0nkingByte wrote:I want a plugin where you can mount a skulk on the back of a gorge. When you do that the gorge only moves half as fast but the skulk can swivel around and fire 100 parasites a second.
Beasty
Fogey
Fogey

Re: New Video Card

Postby shipwreck » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:11 pm

I have a 2.0 slot with an 8800GT. From what I've read, though, the difference is negligible like so many new advancements in hardware (like quad-core and DDR3).
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby dark.rabite » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:46 am

most motherboards can run a 2.0 card in a 1.0/1.1 slot. it depends on the motherboard and how awesome it is.

However my old computer would not run my 8800GT card. Luckily i just replaced the computer 4 months later. ;)
dark.rabite
Fogey
Fogey

Postby pr0phetik_dreamz » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:30 pm

If you can do CrossFire, then 2x HD4850 *cough cough*
An Original American Pai
pr0phetik_dreamz
the Chivalrous Cybernetics Lover

Postby BigDXLT » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:53 pm

After seeing another 8800GT for the cheaps, I'm kicking myself in the ass for not buying a SLI capable motherboard (one pci-express slot ftl.) :(
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby shipwreck » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:00 am

BigDXLT wrote:After seeing another 8800GT for the cheaps, I'm kicking myself in the ass for not buying a SLI capable motherboard (one pci-express slot ftl.) :(

Does it really make a difference? I heard too few games can really take advantage of dual GPU's.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby BigDXLT » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:00 am

Well, from what I understand, there is too little benefit to be had to buy pay $300+$300 for the two video cards, but considering they sell the 8800GT for a lot cheaper (I'm sure I saw a $50 sale somewhere) it could make for a good little upgrade. I'm pretty sure the limiting factor on my current card is the 320MB (damnit, should've got the 640MB...) I wouldn't recommend paying for SLI all at once, but wait a year and get the second card then.

Basically, it's a futureproofing thing to get the two pci-express slots. And considering that was what I was trying to do with my computer (quadcore, 64bit windows...) it's sort of slap my forehead in hindsight for me. D'oh!
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT

Postby shipwreck » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:02 am

Here we are a year later and I think I'm ready to SLI. But...did most places stop carrying the 8800GT? I couldn't find one at Microcenter or on New Egg. Bizarre. They're pretty cheap on the Google shopping search but I hate buying from scheisty online shops I've never heard of.

The other upgrade will be top-notch heatsink for the CPU so I can finally crank the mother up.

I'm just wondering if it would be worth the cash to buy something like a fancy new ATI card. Probably not and I probably won't have the cash.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby Beasty » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:59 am

I dont think any one really carries the 8800, but the 9800 is suppose to be a pretty close match, performance isnt all that much different and you can get those for about $140 or so.
St0nkingByte wrote:I want a plugin where you can mount a skulk on the back of a gorge. When you do that the gorge only moves half as fast but the skulk can swivel around and fire 100 parasites a second.
Beasty
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Feyd Rautha » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:17 pm

Both sli and cross fire have 'issues' with multimonitor support. Until they fix all those for good, I'm swearing off both.
Feyd
(!wired)?(coffee++):(wired);
xbox360,PS3,skype: othermark
http://twitter.com/atkin901
Feyd Rautha
Best. Mic. Evar.
Best. Mic. Evar.

Postby Niteowl » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:21 pm

IIRC, SLI doesn't offer a huge boost in performance.

I just got the ATI HD4770 from NCIX, and it runs hella fast. It was also about 100 bucks. Quiet, too.
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

Postby Beasty » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:06 pm

Well I finally bought a new card, got a SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4890. Haven't tested it out yet. I had to reinstall windows because my HDD failed on me. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Beasty
Fogey
Fogey

Postby pr0phetik_dreamz » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:48 pm

Has anyone gotten a chance to test out ATi's new HD 5k series' EYEfinity for multi-monitor support? I'm tempted to pull the trigger now ... but most likely will be waiting to around mid-March for my new gaming rig. The Core i7 9xx market is a bit shaky of late... so until prices stablize or drop, I'm not so sure on building one. The i7 8xx and 7xx and even i5's end up overclocking to the same speeds as the high end i7 9xx's so.. yeah.
An Original American Pai
pr0phetik_dreamz

Postby Furious Gorge » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:13 am

Just picked up the 5850 and installed last night. Really nice and smooth. I don't think I'll get a chance to try out the eyefinity support though as I no longer have more monitors to test it out.
[OldF]*Furious Gorge aka 9, 1001, NSPlayer, CAPS LOCK, CLARK KENT
Furious Gorge
OldF sekrat polizei
OldF sekrat polizei

Postby Pykl » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:57 pm

So I'm totally out of date on gpus and might be forced to buy one soon. What's the latest and greatest mid range. I've got a core 2 duo 6600 with asus p5n32-esli and 4 gb ram. I've had nvidias forever, not sure if ati is the current king of the roost.
Pykl
Elder
Elder

Next

Return to Discussions