Bill C-61

Posts and discussions about serious/illuminating/interesting topics.

Bill C-61

Postby CanadianWolverine » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:33 am

I stumbled across this in my digital travels:

The Craft Economy Staple CC-Licensed, Anti-Bill C-61, CDs Around Toronto:

If wikipedia is to be believed ( this is really going to screw with making copies of stuff.

Thoughts? Just over blown non-issue or yet another nail in the coffin of our liberties in Canada?

Here is the bill for those who know how to read this legalese: ... 473&file=4
Check it out! I finally figured out where to make a avatar that will fit on the forums!
Cutest. Baby. Evar.
Cutest. Baby. Evar.

Re: Bill C-61

Postby BigDXLT » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:19 pm

It could be worse. I'm surprised it's as good as it is.

But from what I can tell it was a bit rushed with little public input. It has some odd clauses and after skimming the legalese (why can't these documents follow WCB's lead and link directly to referenced documents in this mumble jumble) I'm not sure if everyone was on the same page when making this thing.

The format shifting stuff for example. Moving a VHS to DVD is acceptable. (Archiving.) However, moving a DVD to your Ipod to watch it on the plane is illegal! (You need to buy an Ipod format version if you want to do that.) And god help you, you sinful pirate, if you move your Ipod DRM'd version to a DVD!

This is the fundamental thing the companies "don't get." Consumers expect to buy the movie. The companies expect to sell the DVD. (As an example.) I don't give a crap about the "stealing" and piracy stuff, I respect that logic (they have to be able to pay for these productions). Buying the same thing twice is just stupid and having the law force that is just greed. If there was a single standard format that everything could play, I wouldn't care, but that simply isn't the case, nor will it ever be the case.

Anyway, I could ramble on and on.
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
the First Motorized Sasquatch
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby Niteowl » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:09 pm

BigDXLT wrote:However, moving a DVD to your Ipod to watch it on the plane is illegal! (You need to buy an Ipod format version if you want to do that.)

Oh dear god. That's pretty awful.
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

Postby Florp Incarnate » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:58 pm

this just makes us more cool because it's even MORE illegal now.
Florp Incarnate
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord

Return to Discussions