So you're in the market for a new gaming mouse...

Posts and discussions about serious/illuminating/interesting topics.

So you're in the market for a new gaming mouse...

Postby shipwreck » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:17 am

Recommendations, please!

My dearly beloved cordless Logitech 5-button (I don't even know the model) is finally starting to crap out on me and I'm looking for a fine replacement. It's hard to gun down so many little men when your mouse locks up at every turn. At this point I'm leaning towards either a Razer (I hear the Copperhead is good) or another Logitech (perhaps the G7). Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Trackballs and this monstrosity are out of the question
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Re: So you're in the market for a new gaming mouse...

Postby Feyd Rautha » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:19 am

shipwreck wrote:Recommendations, please!
Trackballs and this monstrosity are out of the question

I love my trackball. So no recommendation from me.

Other people have fine things to say:

http://lifehacker.com/5054519/the-best- ... e-ever-had
Feyd
(!wired)?(coffee++):(wired);
xbox360,PS3,skype: othermark
http://twitter.com/atkin901
Feyd Rautha
Best. Mic. Evar.
Best. Mic. Evar.

Postby Mentat » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:56 pm

I hear good things about Razer from customers. I love my Logitech G5 though. Only complaint I've ever had was the lack of 2 side buttons, but they fixed that in the new version they brought out (mine is a couple years old). G7 is essentially the cordless version of it.
Mentat
Fogey
Fogey

Postby zolop » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:48 am

http://www.razerzone.com/p-66-razer-lac ... mouse.aspx

big mouse for my hands, so it is much easier to control. Right now I have a Logitech Mouse but plan to switch over to that mouse once I am not in-between jobs. I do have a Keyboard by Razor, and it is one of my favorites keyboards in a long time...

"Unfortunately, while Razer has managed to achieve greater heights with higher precision in their mice, in recent years, DPI figures have been exaggerated in certain manufacturers’ mice. Some manufacturers apply software interpolation to artificially inflate the DPI specifications of their mice. However, when software interpolation is applied to the mouse sensor, the image capture, and accordingly the movement in a mouse, becomes exaggerated, but does not improve the accuracy of the sensor. Instead, software interpolation has an adverse effect on the sensor’s accuracy at high movement speeds, which renders the mouse virtually useless by demanding gamers."
http://www2.razerzone.com/3G/laser.php

Interesting....

keyboard I use.
http://www.razerzone.com/p-5-the-razer- ... board.aspx

I haven't tried this keyboard since I haven't researched it.
zolop
Fogey
Fogey

Postby BigDXLT » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:51 am

I just can't bring myself to replace my keyboard and mouse. I think I paid $15 for each...

But at the same time, I wouldn't mind finding replacements, particularly a new keyboard.

Ideally, I'd love to have fully reprogrammable keys. I know the stupid windows key can be re-mapped if I go into a registry or somesuch, but popping it off was so much easier. Same goes for the "suspend" key up by my escape button. I have to enable the f-lock to use the f-keys every time I fire up my computer too. Sure it would probably help to install logitech drivers, but meh. Then there is the keys that stick. If I don't hit the shift key in the middle, it wedges itself and I have to force it down. (Not an in game problem, but annoying while typing.) And my alt key has been known to wedge itself in the down position from time to time too. Not to mention the classic OMGyoupressed3or4buttonsatonceBEEP.

Please, don't mind me, I'm just rambling on trying to convince myself I need a new keyboard.

What I would like in a new keyboard:
Detachable (or at least moveable) num pad, sorta like the new microsoft sidewinder unit.
Fully reprogrammable keys, with profiles that change at my command.
Keys with some feel, ya know?
Wired, or at least optionally plugged in. Batteries annoy me.
Compact with no extra cruft.

As for the mouse, what I have is a good old 2 button logitech wheel mouse (with a sweet matte-metallic red paint job that has held up nicely over the years!) But I'd like a couple extra buttons, not too many, just a couple.
Again, wired would be better.

I'm too cheap to buy these for myself, but then again... christmas is around the corner...
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby Anomaly » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:53 am

Before it broke, I used the Razer Copperhead. It's a great mouse but apparently was built with a defect. So once it broke I got another free one (and a free mouse pad that I demanded for my troubles after contacting the Better Business Bureau because Razer wouldn't replace my mouse after saying they would) I then decided to just buy the Logitech G5. I would recommend the Copperhead if your willing to roll the dice on a defective mouse, but if not I would say the G5 is defiantly the way to go.
Anomaly
Champion of Bengay

Postby Furious Gorge » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:21 am

What was the defect?

Btw, hahah, I have one for sale if anybody is interested (bah, after the previous comment, anyone will be :? ) -- $20. It's still somewhat new, and has been sitting in it's original packaging for maybe a year. I used it for only 3-4 gaming sessions (maybe around 4-6 hours total) as I just couldn't get used to the mouse shape. Having come from the Logitech 518, the Razer Death Adder was a much better fit, and is what I'm using currently.
[OldF]*Furious Gorge aka 9, 1001, NSPlayer, CAPS LOCK, CLARK KENT
Furious Gorge
OldF sekrat polizei
OldF sekrat polizei

Postby Anomaly » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:20 pm

I looked all over the Razer website but I couldn't find the thread about the mouse defect, its been a long time since I've been on their site. But the deal was basically if you have the Copperhead that is malfunctioning you can send it to them and they'll replace it for you. I'd look into it to make sure because I didn't follow the regular procedure to return it because I went through the BBB (which I saved the emails between me and their rep which are quite hilarious if you'd like me to post them), and I didn't even have to send them my mouse. So if I were you I'd just get a brand new one if you qualify for the replacement and get more money.
Anomaly
Champion of Bengay

Postby Pykl » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:21 pm

RAZER HAS a new mouse out, forget the name, anyone have any thoughts on it?
Pykl
Elder
Elder

Postby BigDXLT » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:06 pm

BigDXLT

Postby shipwreck » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:00 am

Thanks for the timely and informative responses, all, but Lil' McMousington has made a miraculous comeback! Crisis averted.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby BigDXLT » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:14 pm

You say that now, but when a couple skulks (or scouts) are bearing down on you and you suddenly find you can't turn to face the threat that is just a hair to the left of the firing cone of your heavy weapon then you will be sorry! :twisted:
BigDXLT

Return to Discussions