Scholastic choices

Posts and discussions about serious/illuminating/interesting topics.

Scholastic choices

Postby Wolfgang » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:17 am

Within the past week I've been presented to an alternative to graduating at the assumed time - may 2009. To lay it out simply: By going to summer courses and taking an additional class or two, it has become possible for me to get my degree (in economics) after only three years in college. This was a goal I was striving for. Recently, however, I have been given the option of spending any where from a summer to an entire year interning in Germany/Austria. Doing this would delay my graduation by a year, meaning a standard four years for my degree, but I'd have a nice European internship to list on my job applications and perhaps any applications for graduate schools. I figure I've got a large resource of experienced, intelligent and honest (to say the least) people here to draw upon for advice, and so I ask such humbly. As I've never before been employed, nor applied/attended any sort of graduate school, I have significant difficulty quantifying and comparing the two paths of progression. Thus far I've leaned toward the internship - I've taken three years worth of German classes, and while my vocabulary is sorely lacking I think I have some competence in the language. Please advise.
Wolfgang
Fogey
Fogey

Re: Scholastic choices

Postby clamatius » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:25 am

IMHO, I'd take the internship. Actual work experience is gold when you're trying to get your first "real" job and your German will get 1000x better if you're actually using it for a long time. Plus, you'll get to really experience what life is like in a foreign country which I suspect you'll greatly appreciate in later life.
Obligatory blog link.
clamatius
Domo Arigato...
Domo Arigato...

Postby GrayDuck » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:13 am

As someone who worked their ass off to get their B.S. in three years, I say take the internship. All that you're rushing towards is becoming a working stiff. Employers don't care how long college took, but a fancy internship the life / work experience that your internship will give you will look impressive and likely give you an edge over other applicants.
GrayDuck
Champion of Bengay

Postby St0nkingByte » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:43 am

Intern gig all the way.
Niteowl wrote:i like him. solid feller. and excelent post !
St0nkingByte
Coding Plugins for a Plugin of a Plugin

Postby Niteowl » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:56 pm

Intern gig all the way up to NINE THOUSAND.

No employer will care that you finished your degree in 3 years. Work experience, now you're talking turkey.
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

Postby Pykl » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:19 pm

I'll take intern for $500 Alex.

Life experience is worth an awful lot. I backpacked europe for a year when I was 18 and never regretted it for an instant. I don't understand the point of finishing school earlier. It just means you have to start work and all that stuff a year earlier and have one less year to party your ass off. Theres a lot of trickle down economics in there somewhere.
Pykl
Elder
Elder

Postby BigDXLT » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:47 pm

Dooooooooo eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby Florp Incarnate » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:05 am

I did university as fast as I could, without working or taking summers off.

When I graduated I couldn't find work for like 6 months so I did construction instead for the next 6. Then I fiiiiinally found a job. Most of my friends that did co-op got jobs right out of graduation. I wish I had done that instead for sure.

I definitely recommend going on the Germany trip if it actually looks like a good job.
Florp Incarnate
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord

Postby St0nkingByte » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:50 am

Leave now while it's still OCTOBER!

Niteowl wrote:i like him. solid feller. and excelent post !
St0nkingByte

Postby Niteowl » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:18 pm

Florp Incarnate wrote:Most of my friends that did co-op got jobs right out of graduation. I wish I had done that instead for sure.

I swear I told you like a billion times to do co-op. A BILLION.
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl

Postby Wolfgang » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:00 pm

All of the advice is greatly appreciated. Admittedly, the only reason I sought such early graduation was for the sake of graduate school and to save my parents the tuition money (as it is a private college, and rather pricey). Friday I officially switch from "economics" to "International Economics" - being the first student to declare it as a major should make it interesting. So far it appears as though I'll be heading to either the Frankfurt area or perhaps to Vienna, and intern in Austria instead. Thanks muchly once more.
Wolfgang
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Pykl » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:08 pm

didn't all the economists just get fired along with that bailout bill?
Pykl
Elder
Elder

Postby BigDXLT » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:21 pm

Florp Incarnate wrote:Most of my friends that did co-op got jobs right out of graduation. I wish I had done that instead for sure.

I freakin' wanted to do co-op. But during my second year I let my GPA slip and got disqualified for it. Image
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT

Return to Discussions