ArenaNet hiring level designers

Posts and discussions about serious/illuminating/interesting topics.

ArenaNet hiring level designers

Postby Fade Dunaway » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:34 am

Hey guys,

We're looking for a level designer at ArenaNet! I've copied the job listing below;

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ArenaNet is looking for experienced level designers with a passion for online games and world building to work on Guild Wars as a member of the level design team. Candidates must have extensive game playing experience across a wide variety of game genres, and be able to layout game worlds using our in-house editing tools.

ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.

· Give input on level design issues and propose level designs.

· Layout of game worlds using our in-house editing tools.

· Integrate game play designs into map layouts.

· Play though levels and take feedback to tune map designs.

· Communicate with artists, programmers and other members of the design team.

QUALIFICATIONS

· Understanding of how environment affects game play.

· Experience using game level and world building tools.

· Familiarity with Photoshop.

· Must be a hard-core gamer with extensive experience playing games.

· Passion for Guild Wars.

· Prior experience in level design is a plus.

· Background in art or architecture.

· Creativity and innovation.

· Problem solving.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On top of this, while we are looking at candidates with no professional experience, we do want someone with some experience - community and mod mappers for Source, UEd, etc are good providing you know your stuff. At least have some produced maps or something...there's a lot of tools out there available, and if you're really interested in map making, you should be able to do it currently.

Add to this thread or Email me (ryan@arena.net) if you're interested.
"Never hit a man with glasses. Use a bat instead."

AKA Alcoholocaust
Fade Dunaway
Fogey
Fogey

Re: ArenaNet hiring level designers

Postby McRiot » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:18 am

I'm still very interested in a potential job at Anet although part of me feels very under qualified :{. The best map I developed was ns_fishtank which never really got finished properly but at the time I spent a lot of time designing and redesigning, then re-re-designing it. Other then that I've made a box room in UT2k4 and spawned the nuke launcher so I could blow myself up over and over. One day I hope to pick up some classes/courses for game developing/designing, right now I'm finishing up an A+ Cert.

All my major experiences for gaming has mostly come and gone through the OldF community, I've done a few skins for the old Steam client before they changed, I've hosted and configured game servers for many Valve products. I am currently professionally developing websites (more design) I can't develop php backends myself but I can design skins and make features work and have strong troubleshooting skills. Most coding I recognize and can most of the time figure out ways to hack it or manipulate it to do my bidding.

anyway as I said, I feel under qualified education wise and have limited experience but I'm still very interested in doing all those sorts of things.

heh, the project that never really got finished, it got close though, looked alright too. I'll post a few more pics in my ns_fishtank topic. I'll have to figure out how to get hammer working again. I guess I should also mention everything about map editing, hammer and designing of fishtank I taught myself with a lot of researching to learn new techniques and improve my design. Only wish I had more to offer.
marinestart.jpg
marinestart.jpg (421.54 KiB) Viewed 1957 times
McRiot

http://www.razenet.com
Kisst - GuildWars 2 : Stormbluff Isle
McRiot - League of Legends
McRiot
King of Lan Partays!
King of Lan Partays!

Postby CanadianWolverine » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:12 am

That reminds me, didn't BigD do a fun co map for NS that we used to play quite a bit? Meh, don't mind me, that's off topic, eh?
Check it out! I finally figured out where to make a avatar that will fit on the forums! http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/
CanadianWolverine
Cutest. Baby. Evar.
Cutest. Baby. Evar.

Postby Fade Dunaway » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:14 am

McRiot wrote:I'm still very interested in a potential job at Anet although part of me feels very under qualified :{. The best map I developed was ns_fishtank which never really got finished properly but at the time I spent a lot of time designing and redesigning, then re-re-designing it. Other then that I've made a box room in UT2k4 and spawned the nuke launcher so I could blow myself up over and over. One day I hope to pick up some classes/courses for game developing/designing, right now I'm finishing up an A+ Cert.

All my major experiences for gaming has mostly come and gone through the OldF community, I've done a few skins for the old Steam client before they changed, I've hosted and configured game servers for many Valve products. I am currently professionally developing websites (more design) I can't develop php backends myself but I can design skins and make features work and have strong troubleshooting skills. Most coding I recognize and can most of the time figure out ways to hack it or manipulate it to do my bidding.

anyway as I said, I feel under qualified education wise and have limited experience but I'm still very interested in doing all those sorts of things.

heh, the project that never really got finished, it got close though, looked alright too. I'll post a few more pics in my ns_fishtank topic. I'll have to figure out how to get hammer working again. I guess I should also mention everything about map editing, hammer and designing of fishtank I taught myself with a lot of researching to learn new techniques and improve my design. Only wish I had more to offer.
marinestart.jpg

Education is good, though not strictly necessary. Many of our designers (myself included) do not have college degrees. I think more important is increasing your skill at actually creating maps, and teaching yourself the tools. With the number of online resources available for this kinda thing, it's something I believe you can do without college.

AKA Alcoholocaust
Fade Dunaway
Fogey
Fogey

Postby BigDXLT » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:15 pm

CanadianWolverine wrote:That reminds me, didn't BigD do a fun co map for NS that we used to play quite a bit? Meh, don't mind me, that's off topic, eh?

Yeah, I'm guessing if it was in Canada, I'd be a downright idiot to not apply for this, but since Arenanet is down in the states I can just say I'm lazy?
Given how I've spent more time playing Guildwars than any other MMORPG I'm a definate shoe in! (About 4 hours or so during an open beta test weekend or something before it hit store shelves!)

What kind of time frame are we looking at here Fade? I really ought to throw an application in just to see what happens...
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby Fade Dunaway » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:55 pm

BigDXLT wrote:
CanadianWolverine wrote:That reminds me, didn't BigD do a fun co map for NS that we used to play quite a bit? Meh, don't mind me, that's off topic, eh?

Yeah, I'm guessing if it was in Canada, I'd be a downright idiot to not apply for this, but since Arenanet is down in the states I can just say I'm lazy?
Given how I've spent more time playing Guildwars than any other MMORPG I'm a definate shoe in! (About 4 hours or so during an open beta test weekend or something before it hit store shelves!)

What kind of time frame are we looking at here Fade? I really ought to throw an application in just to see what happens...

Sorry, missed this!

"Soon" is the only one I have. You'd have to move to Seattle and be legal to work here, obviously.

AKA Alcoholocaust
Fade Dunaway
Fogey
Fogey

Return to Discussions