L4D Demo Impressions

Posts and discussions about serious/illuminating/interesting topics.

Re: L4D Demo Impressions

Postby shipwreck » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:47 am

McRiot wrote:Friday around 8pm pst everyone should log on to l4d :)

Gar! Make it any day but Friday! I'll be out in the wild doing a little cold weather camping. Though maybe there's a wifi connexion out there...

Anyhoo, I've got next week off so expect to see me on a lot. I've got many a zombie to kill, achievements to achieve, and a hospital from which to escape.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby Fade Dunaway » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:35 am

This weekend's bad for me, too.
"Never hit a man with glasses. Use a bat instead."

AKA Alcoholocaust
Fade Dunaway
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Darwin » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:51 am

Co-op play only so far, that's sure to change soon though.

Each Campaign takes about an hour to get through. Goes up a bit if you die, I'm sure you can move through it more quickly if you're not slowing down, exploring a bit, letting yourself get hit, that sort of thing.

Surviving the missions doesn't seem that hard, though the final battle at the end of each one is fairly challenging. I think it's safe to expect at least one death at the end of each movie. It's avoidable though.

It doesn't appear that it requires a high level of skill from any one player, or from all players, as long as some basic FPS skills exist and you're smart about not running off and getting separated. I think, like TF2, that might prove the downfall. If it doesn't drive your skill to increase, then it will get stale. Versus mode may well change that perspective, but that is going to take some time to be sorted out. The good news is a fairly random selection of OldF can probably group up and walk through the game on Advanced any time they want. I should say, I haven't tried any of the ending sections on Expert yet, but then again I'm not sure I'd be that enthralled by them instead of Versus mode anyway.

The general feel of the game is pretty good, only a few minor things break the theme, like the respawn system that places you in a side room somewhere. And there's no good way around that. Before anyone asks, no, being respawned from a genetic backup on a nearby ship and transported over to the IP never seemed odd to me. As usual the weapons don't run with one in the chamber even after a tactical reload, but few games bother to get that right*. The paired pistols, for some reason, don't come with paired lights. I'd like to see an all out sprint speed which prevents firing or at least accurate firing, but that's probably a bit much to balance in. Even if panic and running in terror would often seem the thing to do. Oh, and leg shots need to cripple...Even FF leg shots. At least for a short period.

Friendly Fire isn't all that devastating, usually. It's probably better to pepper your friend with a couple of rounds than it is to let them get walloped a few times by some Infected. Amusingly, I suspect our little community has more close quarters FF experience than most considering that tyrant who ran LS kept FF on for years. It actually seems pretty forgiving on FF over all, I think it's set to treat a graze as a miss and ignore the occasional stray round to the chest. Either that or my aim is off.

The server browser issues are absurd, I dunno how that made sense to anyone, but that's OK. I resorted to setting up a small steam group just to address that.

I'm not yet convinced that it has better replay than TF2, long term. I think the team work aspects will be higher, but the skill level might be less. Either way, it's certainly making for an amusing distraction to my day.

Oh, and as for everyone loading it up...So, we used to run 2 20 slot ns servers. This game caps at 8. I trust everyone has realized that there may be times where we'll end up wanting to play with a select subgroup of OldF. I assure you, it's nothing personal, I just like some people more than others :P

*Fade, or anyone, why is that? Why for does no one get guns right?
MeatSpace: David
NS-Darwin
Now Serving 16450
:shock:
"Because keeping people advised requires helpfulness but running a server requires spite."
Darwin
Carnifex of the Akimbo Smoking Guns
Carnifex of the Akimbo Smoking Guns

Postby McRiot » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:52 am

Darwin wrote:Oh, and leg shots need to cripple...Even FF leg shots. At least for a short period.

Friendly Fire isn't all that devastating, usually. It's probably better to pepper your friend with a couple of rounds than it is to let them get walloped a few times by some Infected. Amusingly, I suspect our little community has more close quarters FF experience than most considering that tyrant who ran LS kept FF on for years. It actually seems pretty forgiving on FF over all, I think it's set to treat a graze as a miss and ignore the occasional stray round to the chest. Either that or my aim is off.

The server browser issues are absurd, I dunno how that made sense to anyone, but that's OK. I resorted to setting up a small steam group just to address that.

I agree on the cripple, leg shots should cripple at the very least zombies, ff would be good too though. The server browsing is pretty messed up, not a big fan that it's simply not obvious how to pull up a server list to join a well pinging server.

I don't agree that FF isn't deadly, although I have played almost everything on expert except the hospital finale which we tried like 30 times then had to down it to Advanced just to beat it, anyhow as I was saying FF is deadly in Expert, I've seen a FF shotgun blast blow someone from full health to dead and I've often been the target in FF as I'm sure everyone has in this. I just think if your looking for deadly FF you might be looking in the wrong spot. Expert also provides plenty of difficulty getting through all the missions, many missions you will be playing more then "twice" to finish. I for one intend to get the achievement for it :P.

Play Expert!!
McRiot

http://www.razenet.com
Kisst - GuildWars 2 : Stormbluff Isle
McRiot - League of Legends
McRiot
King of Lan Partays!
King of Lan Partays!

Postby mooseman » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:38 am

I am bothered by not being able to use my round in the chamber, too. Why wouldn't a shooting game be able to get that straight :?:

I am finding this game to be a lot more enjoyable than TF2. :D
mooseman
Swamp Donkey Overlord
Swamp Donkey Overlord

Postby Fade Dunaway » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:09 pm

mooseman wrote:I am bothered by not being able to use my round in the chamber, too. Why wouldn't a shooting game be able to get that straight :?:

I am finding this game to be a lot more enjoyable than TF2. :D

For me, it's a fun game and good diversion, but doesn't come close to TF2. L4D doesn't drive me to improve/attempt to dominate, it's a fun mess-around game with friends.
"Never hit a man with glasses. Use a bat instead."

AKA Alcoholocaust
Fade Dunaway
Fogey
Fogey

Previous

Return to Discussions