L4D Demo Impressions

Posts and discussions about serious/illuminating/interesting topics.

L4D Demo Impressions

Postby shipwreck » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:54 pm

The intro movie was honestly intimidating. I was not entirely sure I could handle this game! Now I have only one thing to say...

Fix. The. Servers.

Honestly I'm not terribly impressed with the game itself as of yet and that is largely because as soon as I manage to find a game with some reasonably human players (as opposed to the not-so chatty AI type) the game crashes. As soon as it gets interesting and we're low on health and things look grim, the server disconnects. My first impressions are that the game is repetitive and chaotic; that said I've not yet played through a whole chapter with actual people because of server issues so I think I'll get a better impression once I can actually do some playing. I have glimpses of the hype the game has received: mowing down hordes of zombies and barely surviving, pulling off a perfect headshot as a lone zombie charges you, and helping your team as they are overwhelmed. But those glimpses are cut very short when the game starts to lag out or just crashes altogether.

Graphics are nice, sound is great, voice acting is top notch. Short of that, the apocalypse has yet to impress me. I just hope I didn't shell out $45 for nothing.

They've also seemed to dumb it down for the 360 crowd, with the matchmaking and options menus. :|
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Re: L4D Demo Impressions

Postby BigDXLT » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:18 pm

Once you get a few good games going with real people on stable servers on expert mode, it's pretty intense. I think enough people from around the Fogeydom got it too that you shouldn't have to suffer playing it with the unwashed masses. Also, they already put out a patch for it today! :shock:
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby Darwin » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:44 am

The way it handles connections is certainly broken. I'm figuring that's a short term issue, on a pre-release demo, I can live with that.

I've also had, and heard of, some texture issues in the Subway section. I'm putting that in the same box for now. Anyone else recall the demo period with TF2? It was certainly goofy, and has since become very polished, and all of the major issues were fixed fairly promptly. So, I'm willing to cut valve some slack for now.

The gameplay itself seems fairly well thought out. And considering I'm only playing on 2 short maps, and I've played through about five times, with only AI opponents, it's been fairly dynamic. I worried the 'director' was going to be more hype and little to no impact, leaving each round the same. While it's not as dynamic as say NS, thre is a fair amount of change in where things are, where the attacks come and in what order. Mind you, the time that The Witch was laying in the middle of the rail car with no way around her wasn't exactly fun, it was certainly interesting.

So, just playing through the games in my head and considering what the addition of human played infected will do, I think I shall be amused. At least, once it's possible to get the whole server thing sorted out.

P.S. My favorite server join moment so far was when the random server search tried to connect me to a passworded server.
MeatSpace: David
NS-Darwin
Now Serving 16450
:shock:
"Because keeping people advised requires helpfulness but running a server requires spite."
Darwin
Carnifex of the Akimbo Smoking Guns

Postby Coke » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:44 am

The quickmatch system is less than ideal. It took me over 5 minutes for it to find a server the first time I played, although it got better after that.

The difficulty seems a little odd to me right now. My one run through on hard felt a little easy although we did get lucky with the tank's spawn location (near an open area). On expert, the game was challenging and a lot of fun until the tank fight. The tank feels arbitrarily hard rather than challenging. Most of the time when it spawns you have little room to maneuver. The only time we came close to killing it on expert was by exploiting the AI on some stairs. Unless I am really dense, there didn't seem to be much strategy except to spread out, and run away while shooting. However, the rest of combat felt really well polished. It just feels weird that the tank is orders of magnitude harder than everything else in the game.

The main fear I have for this game is that it won't last long. It is nice that there is some randomness to when the attack waves come and when the bosses show up, but each fight still feels rather similar, only time shifted. Maybe the addition of human-controlled bosses and more maps will add the variety I am looking for, but I'm skeptical.
Coke
Over the Hill

Postby BigDXLT » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:54 pm

Darwin wrote:P.S. My favorite server join moment so far was when the random server search tried to connect me to a passworded server.

That happened to me too. I was even in the lobby with them...

Also, I'm wondering about the longetivity aspect as well. I really suspect that human controlled boss zombies will keep it interesting. Not to mention, this is a Valve game on steam... we'll see more campaigns and I would be REALLY surprised if we didn't see more kinds of bosses and weapons.

And as far as the tank goes, he has to have a weakness that can be exploited...
BigDXLT

Postby Fade Dunaway » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:22 pm

Technical fusses aside, I'm really enjoying it. We usually play on expert, with the goal just trying not to get murdered. Versus play will really add some more goodness to the mix.

I'm taking it easy to avoid burnout before the 18th.
"Never hit a man with glasses. Use a bat instead."

AKA Alcoholocaust
Fade Dunaway
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Ni » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:55 pm

Played it WAY too long last night with a few TF2 regs on Expert mode. It was brutal...like a bad version of Groundhog Day. Bet we tried 20 times to win. Expert definitely requires more teamwork (and patience) than we were willing to give it last night.

No connection issues on my end. Didn't drop a connection or lock up. Perhaps it just doesn't like your equipment.
Nothing makes a woman angrier than a sleeping man. --Anon
Ni
He Who Demands Shrubberies Uncouthly
He Who Demands Shrubberies Uncouthly

Postby St0nkingByte » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:48 pm

Do you have to pre-order to get access to the demo?
Niteowl wrote:i like him. solid feller. and excelent post !
St0nkingByte
Coding Plugins for a Plugin of a Plugin

Postby Darwin » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:23 pm

Demo goes live the 11th, however preorder gave us the demo on the 6th.
MeatSpace: David
NS-Darwin
Now Serving 16450
:shock:
"Because keeping people advised requires helpfulness but running a server requires spite."
Darwin

Postby St0nkingByte » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:58 pm

...must...resist...peer...pressure...

St0nkingByte

Postby shipwreck » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:54 am

Agreed! Now that I've had a few games without any (or at least fewer) server issues I'm quite enjoying this game now. Obviously it's just a demo and people aren't taking it too seriously but I'm irked by the lack of coordination, especially in the one Expert game I tried. My hope is much the same as NS Marines: a tactical foray into the unknown. Once the game launches I'd really like to get a 'super group' of old Frontiersmen together to tear through this thing with mics, as well as guns, a'blazin'.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby BigDXLT » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:01 pm

Takes a bit, but once everyone figures out that you can't walk in front of other people, it's doable. Took us about 6-7 tries this morning, me and shippy and two random folk to beat expert.

The trick for the tank, it seems, is that he goes for the closest person that's firing on him. The best thing to do is to have your team fall back to an open area, and hopefully the healthiest run fast enough to lure him into a place where he can't move much.

If you see him look at you, get ready to stop shooting at him and run away. If he is looking at someone else, try getting closer than that person and shooting him, and draw him off. If you run slow, you're the bait at this point now. Basically, keep that piggy in the middle!

Also, the escalator owns him if you can get him there. I managed to finish him off myself this morning by running up and down each side of the escalator, then we did it again, this time with shippy running up and down it and me standing a ways back at the bottom shooting him whenever I could. Of course, I think both times as soon as he died a smoker or hunter would get me right away before I had time to celebrate (cheap bastards!)

Also, if you're going to wake the witch by yourself, I would thank you kindly by doing it by setting her on fire with a molotov. I mean, if nothing else the bright flaming thing that is killing you is at least easier to see.
BigDXLT

Postby St0nkingByte » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:24 pm

FINE I PREORDERED FINE!

I COULDN'T STAND THE STEAM FRIENDS LITTLE TOASTER NOTIFICATION POPPING UP ALL THE TIME TELLING ME THAT EVERYONE IN THE WHOLE WORLD EXCEPT ME IS PLAYING THIS GAME

arrrhghghgh

:mrgreen:
St0nkingByte

Postby mooseman » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:45 pm

St0nkingByte wrote:...must...resist...peer...pressure...

Fogie WillPowah:

mooseman
Swamp Donkey Overlord
Swamp Donkey Overlord

Postby McRiot » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:38 pm

McRiot

http://www.razenet.com
Kisst - GuildWars 2 : Stormbluff Isle