Windows 7

Posts and discussions about serious/illuminating/interesting topics.

Windows 7

Postby St0nkingByte » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:51 am

Any of you guys playing with Windows 7 yet? We've had it at work for a while but the new Beta 1 is super shinier than the tech preview we got last fall. I've installed it on all three of my main systems, my work destkop, my tablet PC and my home gaming machine.

On my gaming rig I did some benchmarks over the weekend and found game performance to be basically the same relative to XP. In some instances Windows 7 was a teensy bit faster, I also noticed in some cases the max framerates were the same but the minimums were higher under Windows 7. After I threw DirectX 9.0c on there every game I tried worked fine, Steam even worked OK with just one game joining oddity in L4D that I think I can chalk up to running the same Steam install under XP and 7 without erasing the clientregistry.blob between uses.

All in all I'm pretty impressed. Boot times are way faster, everything feels much peppier than XP or Vista and it's the new shiny so what's not to like? Even my tablet with it's 1st-ish generation SSD is booting faster, nearly as fast at my desktop hardware. Very nice.
Niteowl wrote:i like him. solid feller. and excelent post !
St0nkingByte
Coding Plugins for a Plugin of a Plugin
Coding Plugins for a Plugin of a Plugin

Re: Windows 7

Postby pr0phetik_dreamz » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:57 am

I've got Windows 7 beta running off of a spare machine. It's pretty fast. I likes :)

I'm still clinging to Windows XP for my main system, though I've got Windows Vista boxes I use often. Windows 7 looks good; I'll probably end up upgrading to that when it comes out.
An Original American Pai
pr0phetik_dreamz
the Chivalrous Cybernetics Lover

Postby BigDXLT » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:21 pm

Should turn it into a service pack for vista users. :(
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby shipwreck » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:14 am

Agreed!
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby Nikon » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:44 pm

yeah, this really bugs me. I have vista, and they havent fixed vista yet, and it seems that instead of fixing vista, they are just pushing out 7 instead. I actually have a legit copy of vista, first legit copy of a M$ OS for me. Now I'm reminded why I never bothered paying.
Nikon.OldF a.k.a. iko | aimless | Boo Radley | Bacchus.OldF

"A true friend stabs you in the front" : Oscar Wilde
Nikon
Leaning Tower of Pieza
Leaning Tower of Pieza

Postby shipwreck » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:54 am

Nikon wrote:yeah, this really bugs me. I have vista, and they havent fixed vista yet, and it seems that instead of fixing vista, they are just pushing out 7 instead. I actually have a legit copy of vista, first legit copy of a M$ OS for me. Now I'm reminded why I never bothered paying.

Same here. Windows 7 sounds great but I'm not shelling out another 100 clams to get it when I just got Vista six months ago.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby Niteowl » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:44 am

That's why I've waited this long to install XP. Never alpha or beta or Gold a MS OS. NEVAIR!!

I've heard only positive things about Windows 7, though. Faster, as slick as Vista, pretty user friendly.
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

Postby Treble Tu Bass » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:40 pm

not gonna bother with the beta, use it at work though.

Just gonna buy it when it's out.
Treble Tu Bass
Fogey
Fogey

Postby JDawg » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:49 pm

Sounds like Windows 7 is gonna beat out Obama in stimulating the "Tech Economy" and move PCs and laptops off shelves fast. I predict that within the first month of release Windows 7 outsells all copies of Vista ever sold. So go buy your Dell or HP stock now.

For a while, with Windows dwindling, I thought Linux was going to break out of it's cocoon and overtake a huge chunk of the market. Looks like Microsoft got it's act together and Linux will have to wait another day for mainstream desktop attention. What Linux really needs is for Valve to release Steam on Ubuntu in addition to all Source games.

Disclaimer: This forum party crasher does not own any of the stock of the companies mentioned above. Now, he is again a a student of college and therefore can only afford cheap frozen foods and rent.
University of Utah alumni and proud of it. GO UTES!!
JDawg-OldF
JDawg
Lexiconally Diverse!!
Lexiconally Diverse!!

Postby pr0phetik_dreamz » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:53 pm

Been using Windows 7 for a while now... it's really nice and fast, though not as fast as XP (it trails by a few percentage points) on current dual/quad CPU hardware. Supposedly the codebase is optimized for many-core processor systems though -- so hopefully, when we move up to 6-core and up, the real advantages will come out. For now though, with the new MS utility that will be included in Windows 7 that uses a lightweight implementation of VirtualPC to run legacy programs is a real deal sealer for me. I didn't move to Vista on my main systems because a few older programs I used didn't work on it.
An Original American Pai
pr0phetik_dreamz

Postby McRiot » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:34 pm

I've only heard good thing about Windows 7 as well funny thing about Vista is that I got free Vista Ultimate awhile back but after using a cracked version for a short time I simply left the retail copy shrink wrapped and went back to perma XP Pro. We'll see if I like Windows 7 more than Vista I do have higher hopes for it and if they make it into something worth using I'll consider forking the cash over, I plan to "test" it first though ;).
McRiot

http://www.razenet.com
Kisst - GuildWars 2 : Stormbluff Isle
McRiot - League of Legends
McRiot
King of Lan Partays!
King of Lan Partays!

Return to Discussions