Bad, Bad Rubber Piggy...I mean hard disk

Posts and discussions about serious/illuminating/interesting topics.

Bad, Bad Rubber Piggy...I mean hard disk

Postby shipwreck » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:39 am

With all my current PC issues (ref) I feel it's time to bite the proverbial bullet and reformat. That said, I've only had this compy about 6 months and I don't think I should be dealing with a disk fail. Also this kind of thing (disk fail) happened to my last PC. What can I do to prevent it?

What disk checks could I use? The Windows brand doesn't really give me any information.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Re: Bad, Bad Rubber Piggy...I mean hard disk

Postby [OldF] DIRTY DEALER » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:04 pm

Well, I've had to do a little tracking down to find out whats going on.
Two things come to mind. Power. Heat.

Check you dust filters, see if they are cloged or not, also check your cpu heatsink, see if it's clean or not. If you can go into the bios and raise the cpu fan speed. As part of my maintaince routine I take out my heatsinks for cpu and gpu's several times a year and wash them in the sink, then plug the fans into an old spare psu to get them dry faster. of course new paste is applied before the sinks are reinstalled. Even with filters I get dust into the case. Dang carpet....

Power : computer manufactorers are famous for cheap psu's. Period. If you can get one that's at least 50% more power then you need at this time. Also a really good surge protector will save your pc's hind end, so don't skimp there.

Asus A8N-SLI Premium AMD AthlonXP DualCore 3800+ @ 2.0 ghz
OCZ EL DDR PC-3200 2x1024MB Dual Channel Platinum XTC X 2 4gb total
XFX Geforce 7600 X 2 sli mode
Western Digital Raptor 36gb X 2 RAID 0 ( boot )
Maxtor 6E040L0 X 2 RAID 0 ( games and swap file )
Western Digital WD400BB ( Storage )
2 X DVD burners, 1 cdrom
OCZ StealthXStream 600 watts
Window XP 64
a VERY GOOD surge protector
Cooler Master CM-Stacker case with 2 aluminium drive cages
after market coolers for both graphics cards and the cpu.

The bottom grill is taped over since there is no filter there. 3 X 120 mm fans, 1 80 mm fan, only case mod was done at top, gound round hole in the top grill for free airflow.

Max cpu temp I've seen is 128 F on a very hot day, gpu was 138 F same day. Cool day temps are much lower.

Crashes are rare, might buy a ram cooler soon, this new ram seems to run a little warm, not much room for airflow...

The point is the surge protector, psu and really good cooling make the whole thing stable.
DIRTY DEALER
[OldF] DIRTY DEALER
Skulkbot
Skulkbot

Re: Bad, Bad Rubber Piggy...I mean hard disk

Postby shipwreck » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:57 am

Thanks again, DD. When I built this new machine I wished to make a habit of regular cleaning/maintenance but after 6 months I hadn't and you were right: the mesh was caked with dust. Luckily it did it's job and the insides were essentially dust-free. Another problem area is the side vent which was equally dusty as there's no fan. That's something i shall remedy asap. I went ahead and formatted and picked up a proper surge protector and things are looking much better than they had been.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Return to Discussions