PC versus Mac; Who's side are you on?

Posts and discussions about serious/illuminating/interesting topics.

PC versus Mac; Who's side are you on?

Postby Treble Tu Bass » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:33 pm

One of my friends who grew up using a mac swears by apple products. I've read a couple of articles here and there. They pretty much average out that no one is a real winner. One thing I do notice is that PC:XP vs Mac benchmarks, pc has won. PC:Vista vs Mac bench mark, pc has lost. Your thoughts on this?
Treble Tu Bass
Fogey
Fogey

Re: PC versus Mac; Who's side are you on?

Postby shipwreck » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:02 am

It's one of those things that I certainly know very little about but am fiercely passionate nonetheless. Even though my wife is a Mac user I am opposed to all (most) things Mac. In part, I've been a PC gamer since I was a youngster and have rarely looked back. Being a gamer at all Mac is kind of out of the question as there are very few Mac games and getting PC games to run on a Mac seems like even more hassle than it already is. Moreover, to me Mac is easy mode: a PC is like the Millennium Falcon in that it is slapped together, often breaks down and sometimes needs a good Wookie-punch to get going again but it's still the fastest hunk o' junk in the galaxy. To complete that analogy, a Mac would be akin to the Enterprise: it's sheik and fancy and does a lot of stuff for you ("Tea. Early Grey. Hot.") but is too prissy to take down a Death Star. Mac is also infinitely less customizable.

I can kind of appreciate Mac as a business for what they're trying to do but the last straw were those, what I consider, attack ads against all PC's based solely on the fact that Vista had some good faults. The adverts all seemed very childish and in very poor taste in their propagandist approach to politicize the computer market. It was like they wanted to make an "Us vs. Them", two-party system out of this business and further segregate themselves so that their users might feel superior and cooler than those lame "PCs". So, ultimately, I have no respect for Mac for trying to pick a fight that wasn't there and, even though it was kind of lame, laud Microsoft a little bit in their attempt at a civil response with those "I'm a PC and I'm not a stereotype" commercials.

In summary, PC rules for it's customization abilities, large DIY and open source community (you can't tamper with Macs or Steve Jobs will devour your soul), and for Microsoft not being a bunch of hipster assholes (they're just a different kind of asshole).
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby Pykl » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:30 am

I used macs for years being in the photo industry it's the standard for photo/video editing. The mac OS just plain rocks. Everything is laid out logically and you don't have the os forcing certain things on you. To customize windows you need to know some programming. Macs are way customizable and you don't need to know any wierd keystrokes to do it. Theres tons of apps and control panels for free dl to do with a mac what you will. The mac os was copied by gates to make windows. and like most things windozian he made it worse rather than improved on it. If apple would have licenced their os early on there would be no windows today. The reason I switched to using pcs was that I started in the engineering field which is mostly pc and i game which again is mostly pc. If you want to do music, photo, video and regular stuff you will love a mac. The only downside is that many apps aren't available for it.
Pykl
Elder
Elder

Postby Nikon » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:49 am

Pykl wrote: The only downside is that many apps aren't available for it.
Nikon.OldF a.k.a. iko | aimless | Boo Radley | Bacchus.OldF

"A true friend stabs you in the front" : Oscar Wilde
Nikon
Leaning Tower of Pieza
Leaning Tower of Pieza

Postby pr0phetik_dreamz » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:37 am

I run both. Have got Windows XP laptop, a few Windows XP/Vista/7 desktops/laptops spread around the home, a Windows 2003, and a Windows 2008 server. My router is on NetBSD. I've got a Hackintosh running OSX 10.5, and a Hackintoshed MSI Wind netbook.

I'm pretty ambivalent about the strengths of both OSes. They're both well built OSes in their own way. I still think that a lot of the early criticisms of Vista was unfair, though I don't run it full-time myself since I'm too conservative and stick with one system til another one's been out quite a while. Apple certainly perpetrated a lot of the misconceptions regarding Vista, and they did a pretty good job at it.

The amazing thing to me, is that Microsoft can screw up, just as many companies occasionally do, and they get ass for it. But if Apple screws up, like their data corruption issues regarding 10.5's early releases, or lack of memory protection in OS 7, Mac die-hards will just go "oh, they're working on a fix, it's okay!" Actually IMHO, most of the people complaining about Windows are people who have Macs, lol.

The other amazing thing to me, is that most Mac die-hard people I've known or come across IRL or OL, don't know jack about their Mac outside of the marketing speak that they gobble up. In a sense, they are part of some freak cult. They'll make fun of me, or gasp at how I have OSX on my laptop (my older one), and it's not a MacBook. Sure the engineering on the outside of Apple products is great, but do you really want to deal with constraints in upgrading, or them beta testing on you? Right now there is a huge issue with the unibody MacBook and MacBook Pros. They can't run 4GB of memory without crashing, and the nVidia chipset overheats (that was surprising), and possibly could kill the Mac. But, everyone still adores their Mac though, and they get into cuddle huddles about how "Stevie Jobs will fix it soon."

Oh yeah, and whenever I prove to a Mac fanatic that their Mac is just a over-glorified PC with a pretty shell and an alternate operating system, they pretty much get pushed to the brink of crying. I mean come on, beyond the marketing speak and spin, it's a PC with a TPM that locks OSX to the platform, and with the price bumped up 10 notches. I must say I'm impressed that they could spin SATA drives and DVD burners, and regular CPUs and memory to such high levels. You'd be thinking you're getting a supercomputer. Macs aren't using stuff like NuBus and SCSI anymore ;)

Anyway, I'm ranting as always, so I guess my main point is that I really despise fanbois of any circle. A PC is a computer. A Mac is a glorified PC which is a computer. They're just tools that we can implement in our daily lives. If one is really great at using their Mac and it helps them in their daily lives, power to them. Same for the PC. I dislike people who praise the Mac, yet don't even know how to run the basic functions, like installing a printer or knowing the difference between Mail.app and Gmail.
An Original American Pai
pr0phetik_dreamz
the Chivalrous Cybernetics Lover
the Chivalrous Cybernetics Lover

Postby Darwin » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:01 pm

I've found the best use for the Mac is telling family members to buy them, then confessing you know nothing about them and can't help them with basic use questions any more.

Of course, my PC is really a glorified game console with web browser and word processor.
MeatSpace: David
NS-Darwin
Now Serving 16450
:shock:
"Because keeping people advised requires helpfulness but running a server requires spite."
Darwin
Carnifex of the Akimbo Smoking Guns

Postby Treble Tu Bass » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:44 pm

Of course, my PC is really a glorified game console with web browser and word processor.
Treble Tu Bass
Fogey
Fogey

Postby BigDXLT » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:39 pm

Treble Tu Bass wrote:
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby mooseman » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:32 pm

Darwin wrote:I've found the best use for the Mac is telling family members to buy them, then confessing you know nothing about them and can't help them with basic use questions any more.

I like this idea.

I am getting to where I hate doing tech support. I am having trouble with maintaining patience and my polite composure.
mooseman
Swamp Donkey Overlord
Swamp Donkey Overlord

Postby Darwin » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:06 am

To be fair, I got that from rabite
MeatSpace: David
NS-Darwin
Now Serving 16450
:shock:
"Because keeping people advised requires helpfulness but running a server requires spite."
Darwin

Postby Fade Dunaway » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:35 pm

Darwin wrote:I've found the best use for the Mac is telling family members to buy them, then confessing you know nothing about them and can't help them with basic use questions any more.

"Never hit a man with glasses. Use a bat instead."

AKA Alcoholocaust
Fade Dunaway
Fogey
Fogey

Postby [OldF] DIRTY DEALER » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:33 pm

You can learn the proper way to use a crowbar on either machine.

PC's will teach you how to use a crowbar on zombies.

Mac's will teach you how to use a crowbar on computers.

I vote PC's.
DIRTY DEALER
[OldF] DIRTY DEALER
Skulkbot
Skulkbot

Postby St0nkingByte » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:18 pm

Niteowl wrote:i like him. solid feller. and excelent post !
St0nkingByte
Coding Plugins for a Plugin of a Plugin

Postby St0nkingByte » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:19 pm

That was a bit more inappropriate in nature than what I'd normally post but it's so right on I couldn't help myself.
Niteowl wrote:i like him. solid feller. and excelent post !
St0nkingByte

Return to Discussions