Ye olde yearly keyboard/mouse discussion

Posts and discussions about serious/illuminating/interesting topics.

Ye olde yearly keyboard/mouse discussion

Postby BigDXLT » Sun May 24, 2009 9:08 pm

Since my ugly old el cheapo logitech keyboard is starting to fall apart, I figure I should just suck it up and get a couple new pieces. I like the looks of the Arctosa. Same with the Deathadder mouse. Nice, simple, no extra crap. Trying to keep my budget under a hundred bucks for both too.

Having read through some of the older threads on these topics, I'm wondering if anyone has any "down the road" reliability reviews? I'm going to be down in Langley next week so hopefully the NCIX there has some stuff in stock that I could test out.
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Re: Ye olde yearly keyboard/mouse discussion

Postby Darwin » Mon May 25, 2009 9:26 am

Hmm my Logitech G5 is somewhere around 6 years old now. No issues so far.
MeatSpace: David
NS-Darwin
Now Serving 16450
:shock:
"Because keeping people advised requires helpfulness but running a server requires spite."
Darwin
Carnifex of the Akimbo Smoking Guns

Postby Pykl » Mon May 25, 2009 3:33 pm

I've had microshaft ergonomic and natural kbs for years, no problems and they're cheap. My mouse is a logitech mx500 i've had for prolly 5 years or something, works great.
Pykl
Elder
Elder

Postby Nikon » Tue May 26, 2009 12:05 pm

my logitech g11 is still one of the nicest keyboards i've owned. going on 2 years now with no problems. (g11 is the same as the g15, just no lcd)
Nikon.OldF a.k.a. iko | aimless | Boo Radley | Bacchus.OldF

"A true friend stabs you in the front" : Oscar Wilde
Nikon
Leaning Tower of Pieza
Leaning Tower of Pieza

Postby Darwin » Tue May 26, 2009 2:06 pm

Nikon wrote:my logitech g11 is still one of the nicest keyboards i've owned. going on 2 years now with no problems. (g11 is the same as the g15, just no lcd)

Is your keyboard indestructable, HACKER?
MeatSpace: David
NS-Darwin
Now Serving 16450
:shock:
"Because keeping people advised requires helpfulness but running a server requires spite."
Darwin

Postby Florp Incarnate » Tue May 26, 2009 2:54 pm

I just bought a G5.

I liked my MX510 way better.
Florp Incarnate
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord

Postby Nikon » Tue May 26, 2009 5:31 pm

Darwin wrote:
Nikon wrote:my logitech g11 is still one of the nicest keyboards i've owned. going on 2 years now with no problems. (g11 is the same as the g15, just no lcd)

Is your keyboard indestructable, HACKER?

if you'll recall, I was never actually banned. that been said, I did induce much RAGE.
Nikon.OldF a.k.a. iko | aimless | Boo Radley | Bacchus.OldF

"A true friend stabs you in the front" : Oscar Wilde
Nikon
Leaning Tower of Pieza
Leaning Tower of Pieza

Postby BigDXLT » Tue May 26, 2009 6:56 pm

I suspect whatever I buy is going to feel incredibly different than the junk I have right now. I wonder if any stores will let me load up a game to test with? Also, my wrist-rest has now broken completely off and slides around annoyingly. Boy, this trip to the big towns couldn't have been timed more perfectly!

So all in all, folks are liking the logitech's still eh? Good to know. Got to reading about the Microsoft Sidewinder keyboard and damn near fell in love with it until I read about not being able to press ctrl-w-r at the same time (seriously, this day and age?)

Indestructable keyboards sound good to me, even though I don't quite beat'em like I used to, every now and then they still deserve a solid backhand for not making me dinner. I mean, for not playing the game for me. I mean, uhh... BIGD SMASHalksfjklsdfaj
BigDXLT

Postby Furious Gorge » Tue May 26, 2009 10:38 pm

I have the Arctosa and DeathAdder.

The Arctosa is okay. Pretty basic. I like the shallower key presses (more travel than a laptop, but less than a full size keyboard) allowing for less effort when typing. Does seem to do better with multiple simultaneous key presses of WASD, as claimed. The main thing that annoys me is that the keyboard lettering is just an off shade of black. It looks cool from afar as all you see are black buttons. And though I am a fairly decent at touch typing, there are some times when you just need to see those letters, like the odd times you point type, like trying to figure out to press a particular F# key (like F5).

The DeathAdder is a pretty good mouse. Have had it for nearly a year now, and, in terms of tracking, I like it a lot. No real complaints other than the shape is not fully comfortable for the size or shape of my hand, or something like that. I don't notice any discomfort while gaming, but sometimes, surfing the net and using mouse primarily to navigate can cause a little discomfort. I think I just personally like the feel of symetrical mouses that can be used for both left and right handed folk. :)
[OldF]*Furious Gorge aka 9, 1001, NSPlayer, CAPS LOCK, CLARK KENT
Furious Gorge
OldF sekrat polizei
OldF sekrat polizei

Postby BigDXLT » Thu May 28, 2009 10:27 pm

Yeah, I'm kind of the same way with the ambidextrous mice. I think it's to do with the way I hold the mouse, where I do a lot of my movements with my fingertips. (Something I've only realized while reading different reviews.) Most of the "ergonomic" designs that I've tried in the past felt too big and bulky for that. We shall see tomorrow!
BigDXLT

Postby Feyd Rautha » Fri May 29, 2009 6:26 am

I still use a kinesis ergo keyboard and kensington expert mouse trackball.
Feyd
(!wired)?(coffee++):(wired);
xbox360,PS3,skype: othermark
http://twitter.com/atkin901
Feyd Rautha
Best. Mic. Evar.
Best. Mic. Evar.

Postby BigDXLT » Fri May 29, 2009 4:55 pm

So here I am, got my new toys plugged into my eeepc!

Picked up a Logitech G5 mouse and a Microsoft Sidewinder X6 keyboard. Can't wait to get home to plug'em in!

First observation: after years of having a brightly glowing red mouse, I'm now going to have a brightly (if I want) glowing red light coming from the keyboard instead.

NCIX had a sale going on the keyboard, so at $70 it worked its way into my price range. I'm hoping the one review about not being able to hold control+w+r (think crouching moving forward reload) is full of crap, or was just one game. Not a huge deal to me anyway because I don't use control for much. Might be able to offload the whole button to the mouse now, who knows!

Don't know why I never tried a G5-style mouse before, feels very comfortable. I think the shape looked like the huge gaudy thing a buddy of mine once had, but it feels just right so far.

The razer mice seemed to put the thumb buttons literally under my thumb which I could see being a problem, considering I wore the texture off the plastic on my old mouse right at the same point. Same for the sidewinder mice, though I really liked the idea of the stacked thumb buttons.
BigDXLT

Postby BigDXLT » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:09 pm

So after about an hour or two of TF2 last night, the mouse stopped tracking. Clicks works, but mouse doesn't move. Even tried plugging it into my laptop and nothing.

:toimonster:
BigDXLT

Postby JDawg » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:53 pm

A lot of gamers seem to like the G9 and G9x. I'm tempted to get one since some of my mouse buttons on my Habu are wearing out.

Main thing that tempts me with the G9 is the tilt scroll wheel.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... tech%20g9x

A cheaper option that I would get if I wasn't such a sucker for more buttons would be the Deathadder.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6826153007
University of Utah alumni and proud of it. GO UTES!!
JDawg-OldF
JDawg
Lexiconally Diverse!!
Lexiconally Diverse!!

Postby BigDXLT » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:01 am

Waiting for my new G5 to get shipped to me. Tech support agreed it was defective right away, so we'll see what happens now.

This microsoft sidewinder keyboard has some... quirks.

First, the F-keys are slightly wider than normal, so the escape key isn't above the tilde key, but one row to the left. It's kind of annoying because I keep hitting f1 instead.

Second, the stupid thing doesn't work properly while booting up. I can get into the bios, but can't do anything when there. It also doesn't work on the screen for entering windows safe mode (which my Ubuntu Wubi install uses to allow me to easily dual boot.) I'm guessing there HAS to be a fix for this.

However, I do almost want to haul this thing into work one day just because of the num-pad that I can move to the left hand side. Got some annoying data entry work that I have my right hand moving from the keyboard to the mouse constantly right now that could be alleviated with the numpad under my left hand. At home, I leave the silly thing detached because... well, more room on my desk! (Love it!)
BigDXLT

Next

Return to Discussions