Why don't you play anymore? (NS)

Posts and discussions about serious/illuminating/interesting topics.

Why don't you play anymore? (NS)

Postby Beasty » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:47 pm

I really can't remember why I originally stopped playing NS, I think it probably had to do with the fact that there were never really any good games going. Also the fact that we lost LS after the player base fell... that or because we banned everyone. Every once in a while I'll jump back on and play a few games, and to my surprise I do quite well. I still find it to be a rather entertaining game and at points thought about setting up a server because there are only two server I will play on and they fill up quite fast late at night.
St0nkingByte wrote:I want a plugin where you can mount a skulk on the back of a gorge. When you do that the gorge only moves half as fast but the skulk can swivel around and fire 100 parasites a second.
Beasty
Fogey
Fogey

Re: Why don't you play anymore? (NS)

Postby BigDXLT » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:56 pm

Three things keep happening to me:
Too few people, server can't get going.
Too many people, making the game lopsided, or worse, I get kicked for not having a reserve slot.
NS (and other hl1 engine games) are crashy under vista64.

Every game I've played in the last year has resulted in one of the above three scenarios for me, usually before the first map change, or very shortly thereafter. :(
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby Darwin » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:37 pm

The player base fell below acceptable levels of quality players. Attempts to re-establish a player base seem fleeting and futile at best while requiring a great deal of effort.
MeatSpace: David
NS-Darwin
Now Serving 16450
:shock:
"Because keeping people advised requires helpfulness but running a server requires spite."
Darwin
Carnifex of the Akimbo Smoking Guns
Carnifex of the Akimbo Smoking Guns

Postby shipwreck » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:22 am

Darwin wrote:The player base fell below acceptable levels of quality players. Attempts to re-establish a player base seem fleeting and futile at best while requiring a great deal of effort.

Yep. That's why my return to NS has been pretty short lived. I'd never seen the N word used so liberally nor so many asshats talking trash as on the few NS servers I was playing on. I still go back every now and again but it's just not the same.

Hopefully NS2 can be a fresh start.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby BigDXLT » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:24 am

Oh yeah, the fourth thing for my list:
I'm unable to ban people on other non-OldF servers.

:(
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT

Postby Beasty » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:19 am

BigDXLT wrote:Oh yeah, the fourth thing for my list:
I'm unable to ban people on other non-OldF servers.

:(

haha when I asked bob@work he said the same thing.
St0nkingByte wrote:I want a plugin where you can mount a skulk on the back of a gorge. When you do that the gorge only moves half as fast but the skulk can swivel around and fire 100 parasites a second.
Beasty
Fogey
Fogey

Postby [OldF] DIRTY DEALER » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:36 am

DIRTY DEALER
[OldF] DIRTY DEALER
Skulkbot
Skulkbot

Postby Beasty » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:26 am

Which I could, but I don't have access.
Beasty
Fogey
Fogey

Postby [OldF] DIRTY DEALER » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:54 pm

Short version: I'm getting buisness class cable internet. 15mbs down and 2mbs up. I'm going to set up a pc at home to run a game server or two. This computer will be dedicated to running game servers only. Might not be for a couple months or so, but I'm signing the paper work on friday. All I need is a couple of drives, and some help getting the servers going.

At this time I don't know if it will be tf2, ns or ns2. With 2mbs I think I should be able to run at least two of them.

I need help setting up the servers, I'll handle everything else....
DIRTY DEALER
[OldF] DIRTY DEALER
Skulkbot
Skulkbot

Postby Beasty » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:12 pm

aaah, sweet deal. If you need any help I can probably help you out with doing all your rate configurations and server setups, as long as its a linux based OS.

The number of players you can host on your connection really depends on the rates you set. If your hoping to run a 30,000 max rate server your looking at 240kb a second per client connected max. Does this mean it will send that much information? nope. However, the higher your tickrate on the server the closer it will come to using it all.

Client fps: is the number of times per second the game checks for inputs either from keyboard/mouse and incoming game packets, basically any I/O operation.

Server fps: because there are no keyboard or mouse I/O's occurring, it only deals with how often the server checks for game packets.

sv_maxrate: The Maximum amount of data in Bytes per Second the server will send to the client. Conversely, the Maximum amount of data in Bytes per Second the Client can request from the Server. sv_maxrate overrides the clients rate setting if sv_maxrate is less than the clients rate setting.

sv_minrate: The Minimum amount of data in Bytes per Second the server will send to the client. Conversely, the Minimum amount of data in Bytes per Second the Client can request from the Server. sv_minrate overrides the clients rate setting if sv_minrate is greater than the clients rate setting.

sv_maxupdaterate: The Maximum amount of Update per Second the server will send to the client. Conversely, the Maximum amount of Updates per Second the Client can request from the Server. sv_maxupdaterate overrides the clients cl_updaterate setting if sv_maxupdaterate is less than the clients cl_updaterate setting.

sv_minupdaterate: The Minimum amount of Update per Second the server will send to the client. Conversely, the Minimum amount of Updates per Second the Client can request from the Server. sv_minupdaterate overrides the clients cl_updaterate setting if sv_minupdaterate is greater than the clients cl_updaterate setting.

rate: The Maximum amount of Bytes Per Second the Client will request from the server. rate overrides the servers sv_maxrate setting if rate is less than the servers sv_maxrate setting.

cl_updaterate: The Maximum amount of Updates Per Second the Client will request from the server. cl_updaterate overrides the servers sv_maxupdaterate setting if cl_updaterate is less than the servers sv_maxupdaterate setting.

cl_cmdrate: The Maximum amount of Updates Per Second the Client will Send to the server.

NB: sv_maxupdaterate and cl_updaterate cannot cause more data to be sent to the client than the sv_maxrate and rate settings allow, or the servers, or most likely the clients actual available bandwidth allows. Choke occurs when either;

The servers sv_maxupdaterate causes the amount of bandwidth to exceed the bandwidth allocated per client by sv_maxrate or the total amount of bandwidth the server has access to,

Or

The clients cl_updaterate causes the amount of bandwidth required by the client to exceed the clients rate setting or the total amount of bandwith the client has access to.

Good source of information: http://forums.srcds.com/viewtopic/1094
Beasty
Fogey
Fogey

Postby [OldF] DIRTY DEALER » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:27 am

2mbs = 8 players @ maxrate 30k ? I don't think so. I'll cut back back on the maxrate to get more players if I have to. My other option is to get fiber optic internet access, and I didn't even have to ask the price to know it's to expensive for my budget.

Beasty wrote:aaah, sweet deal. If you need any help I can probably help you out with doing all your rate configurations and server setups, as long as its a linux based OS.

The number of players you can host on your connection really depends on the rates you set. If your hoping to run a 30,000 max rate server your looking at 240kb a second per client connected max. Does this mean it will send that much information? nope. However, the higher your tickrate on the server the closer it will come to using it all.
DIRTY DEALER
[OldF] DIRTY DEALER
Skulkbot
Skulkbot

Postby Beasty » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 am

Well, rates are a little funny when you do the math. If you go into a game and turn of netgraph you will get some numbers.

3. The size of the game packet in bytes being sent and received.

4. The Average amount of KiloBytes Per Second being Sent or Received of GameData + UDP Segment + IP Packet overhead.

5. The Average amount of Updates being Sent or Received per Second (Not the tickrate).

As you can see this is no were near 240kb/s

On average your looking anywhere between 7kb/s and 15kb/s upload off the server per client.
Beasty
Fogey
Fogey

Postby [OldF] DIRTY DEALER » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:07 pm

I've got this nifty little program that watches my bandwidth, played tf2 a couple days ago. without downloading a map or other files I only used 6k max bandwidth. It might be possible to run 2-3 game servers without problems with choking if we disable file uploads and stick to stock maps. Of coarse we're going to want to use some kind of management system, i seem to remember amx mod. I'm going to need a lot of help setting this up.

i signed the paperwork today, this being a holiday weekend, I don't expect anything to happen till next week.

I couldn't help myself, I bought another graphics card yesterday. That's two now, running in sli mode again :-) I'll pick up a hard drive and a dvd drive next month. Untill then I have to learn about lunix :-(
DIRTY DEALER
[OldF] DIRTY DEALER
Skulkbot
Skulkbot

Postby Fade Dunaway » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:41 pm

Darwin wrote:The player base fell below acceptable levels of quality players. Attempts to re-establish a player base seem fleeting and futile at best while requiring a great deal of effort.
"Never hit a man with glasses. Use a bat instead."

AKA Alcoholocaust
Fade Dunaway
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Deputy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:24 pm

I just stopped in here to see what is happening - pretty quiet around here ...

I do play a little - usually a quick game against a couple of bots just for fun and to bring back memories of the maps. I looked a few times in the last few months for a good game happening and didn't find any. Been playing FarCry2 again. Not playing TF2 as I get too bored on it.
[OldF] Deputy
Bill

Watch out for that ... ... ... never mind.
Deputy
Elder
Elder

Next

Return to Discussions