Will you buy Left4Dead 2?

Posts and discussions about serious/illuminating/interesting topics.

Will you buy Left4Dead 2?

Postby shipwreck » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:41 am

http://www.gameonn.com/2009/10/left-4-d ... the-price/

I'm wondering which Fogies are planning on picking this up. Since it was announced I've been cynical at best about the product; L4D came out less than a year ago and while it was fun at first it didn't really stick. The features list of L4D2 is pretty shoddy also: new characters, a few new zombies, 5 new maps, new weapons. It honestly seems like an expansion pack to me and L4D hasn't seen a lot of downloadable content since launch (2 new maps, right?).

Now, the only games I've been playing lately are LotRO and TF2 so maybe I just need a good night of zombie fragging to regain some faith in the franchise. Not likely. It also seems really strange that TF2 has seen regular additions and expansions since the game launched with no sequel in sight (thank God) and no asks for handouts but L4D is getting an immediate sequel, almost a year to the day.

What do you guys think? Me? Right now I'm just waiting for NS2.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Re: Will you buy Left4Dead 2?

Postby CanadianWolverine » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:57 am

Basicly, I'll be waiting for a sale, say something that puts it about $20 or below, before I factor in the exchange rate.

My problem isn't that I feel ripped off on the about $56 CDN I spent (that was with the at the $45 USD price at the pre-order time because the demo was fun and worked on my rig at the time, works better on the current laptop), it is that I am not done with the current game. If I feel like I can get my zombie killing rocks off with the first game better than when I was doing the various zombie related mods for games, why would I go for the next installment? Right now I am also downloading a ton of different community custom maps and trying them out for variety as well. The best part of L4D was always exploring new areas in a Co-Op type enviroment anyways, IMHO. Versus (or Coop's highest difficulty) can just be so rigid with other players expectations on winning at times it takes all the fun out of it.

Though, I should make note one of the first things I thought were missing in L4D1 was the lack of a good chainsaw or crowbar. That and a proper feel of establishing a zombie apocalypse fortress, then having to scavenge for the goods to survive - but at that point what I would really be wanting is some sort of Left 4 Dead RPG/RTS/FPS game. Its just I can't shake the idea of that if you are always trying to escape the infected/zombies, eventually you have to arrive somewhere that needs defending and building up, then wiping the infected/zombies out in search and destroy missions. Sorta like - who builds the safe rooms we are always trying to get to? Or makes those stores of ammo and weapons? Also, with the infected changing into the specials, at some point you could do some really bizarre alien stuff from their perspective too, the zombies' have a hive mind maybe?

Given the limitations of this or that in engines and what that means on development, stuff I learned about following the various notes of modders and developers like Unknown Worlds, I don't see this as a Madden Football type of cash grab installment, just a lack of foresight for those features in the first game. *shrug*

Also, funds are tight, so I only buy games at $20 or below price anyways.
Check it out! I finally figured out where to make a avatar that will fit on the forums! http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/
CanadianWolverine
Cutest. Baby. Evar.
Cutest. Baby. Evar.

Postby Fade Dunaway » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:13 am

I'll be picking it up, both because it's a game the SO and I can enjoy together and for the additional MP mode and refined gameplay.

I'm of the opinion that it -looks- like an expansion, but doesn't play like one. Remember that a campaign is not a map, it's 5 maps. 5 campaigns is the production time of 25 maps, which even TF2's fantastic continued support hasn't quite reached. I also feel additional boss infected, a new play mode and a host of new weapons and gameplay features (the way holdouts are paced, etc) are worthy of a new product.

Where I do feel some tinge of remorse is the $50 price tag. I don't think either L4D is a $50 game, a $35 tag feels more appropriate. At any rate, it's apparently not too much of a deterrent, since I'll be picking it up.
"Never hit a man with glasses. Use a bat instead."

AKA Alcoholocaust
Fade Dunaway
Fogey
Fogey

Postby [OldF] DIRTY DEALER » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:13 pm

No.
DIRTY DEALER
[OldF] DIRTY DEALER
Skulkbot
Skulkbot

Postby BigDXLT » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:31 pm

Same boat as our resident indestructible mutton chop connoisseur. Probably pick it up when it goes on sale, but it's not high up on my list for this winter.
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby Florp Incarnate » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:23 am

Left 4 Dead was boring. No chance of picking this up.
Florp Incarnate
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord

Postby Darwin » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:18 am

For $36 or so after tax on a 4 pack, sure. And, really, it shouldn't be hard to find 3 people around here to group up and buy with. I think the maniacs on vent have bought 2 4 packs already. You know what else sells in 4 packs? Redbull. Odd.

I've spent hours on the game, enjoy the intense team play, and feel I got what I payed for on the first. I was undecided, then Crash Course came out, and I saw they had learned a lot of good things as far as mapping, so I was sold. L4D maps are also some of the most interesting game maps I have ever seen. They're complicated in their detail and flavor, I respect that.

Downloadable Content: 1 new game style which came out to what, 21 playable scenarios? Several bug fixes, the major exploits have all been fixed fairly promptly. Generally when a new one comes out it's fixed shortly after I see it. 1 new map of a slight variation that offers a shorter game play alternative for when I know my team will suck or I want to test the waters with them. Modifications to VS style play to balance the game after seeing it played (such as melee fatigue)

Are there bugs? Sure. I can think of 2 exploits and some really annoying map glitches right off the top of my head. The exploits are all with in the last month or so, at least for me seeing them. I expect they'll get fixed and they aren't so much game breaking as they make me want to stab someone for using them. Or TK my team in the safe room ;) (Tking your team to get a lower score at the end of map 1 is apparently not kosher!)

P.S. Wolvie, read Scavenger mode for l4d2. I think combined with the existing Survivor mode you'll find a lot of what you are looking for :)

As for who makes the safe rooms CEDA. Before things got as bad as they are. ;)
MeatSpace: David
NS-Darwin
Now Serving 16450
:shock:
"Because keeping people advised requires helpfulness but running a server requires spite."
Darwin
Carnifex of the Akimbo Smoking Guns
Carnifex of the Akimbo Smoking Guns

Postby BigDXLT » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:18 pm

Just got dragged into a 4-pack deal. Close enough to a sale for me!
BigDXLT

Postby pr0phetik_dreamz » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:45 pm

It doesn't seem to offer anything majorly compelling. I'm probably not going to buy it.
An Original American Pai
pr0phetik_dreamz
the Chivalrous Cybernetics Lover
the Chivalrous Cybernetics Lover

Postby St0nkingByte » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:12 am

I think I might wait for one of those 50% off sales. I'm currently both bored and not bored with L4D. Like the idea of playing sounds like fun but I've got other games I'd rather be playing. L4D2 could spark a revival for me but I could go back to L4D1 just the same.
Niteowl wrote:i like him. solid feller. and excelent post !
St0nkingByte
Coding Plugins for a Plugin of a Plugin
Coding Plugins for a Plugin of a Plugin

Postby BigDXLT » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:56 pm

If you were holding out because of the excessive violence, I present to you, the Australian Edition!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20QvHpwHb3s
BigDXLT

Postby JDawg » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:20 pm

I'd rather go for Borderlands for something different.

BTW: 4 vs 4 matchmaking for L4D 1 was finally released:
http://store.steampowered.com/news/3085/

Do what we wanted to do a year ago and play against another organized team of 4.
University of Utah alumni and proud of it. GO UTES!!
JDawg-OldF
JDawg
Lexiconally Diverse!!
Lexiconally Diverse!!

Postby shipwreck » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:50 am

JDawg wrote:Do what we wanted to do a year ago and play against another organized team of 4.

Case in point.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby Niteowl » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:45 am

Here's an interesting Factoid. L4D1 was made mainly by some dev house called Turtle Rock, then bought late int he cycle by Valve. L4D2 was made entirely by Valve. that difference really shows out in gameplay.
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

Postby shipwreck » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:41 am

Oh, don't mind me. I'm just REANIMATING DEAD FORUM THREADS!!!!1!eleventyone!1!

http://teamfortress.com/post.php?id=4441&p=1

So if I buy L4D2 I can get a hat and a skillet. Yes, I am a sucker. Does anyone still play? Hats and skillets are fabulous but a game that I cannot play with Fogies is not.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Next

Return to Discussions