Calling all writers!

Posts and discussions about serious/illuminating/interesting topics.

Calling all writers!

Postby Fade Dunaway » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:29 am

Hey all,

We're currently hiring a Junior Writer at ArenaNet. If you're an aspiring writer, shoot an email to me with interest or questions - ryan@arena.net
"Never hit a man with glasses. Use a bat instead."

AKA Alcoholocaust
Fade Dunaway
Fogey
Fogey

Re: Calling all writers!

Postby CanadianWolverine » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:54 pm

While I am "aspiring" and fall under the "all" category under the heading of writers, I would guess that from my own self assessment that I haven't the faintest clue how I could sell my skill set to you and your organization, thus eliminating myself from even trying.

Perhaps if you were a bit more specific in qualifications, like in prospective junior writers having a portfolio of work or even more stringent, a portfolio that is more than self published work, it might help "interested" writers, I would hazard a guess.

See if my rambling posts are enough to qualify as a portfolio, which I obviously have my doubts in my own abilities, then the best I could say for myself is that I am both an empty vessel and a vessel that can be shaped to one's wants and needs to produce the writing they desire. I would also have my doubts that the position is one that can be an electronic commute to the virtual office but I would love to learn otherwise.

In the end, I think having already ruled myself out before hearing the judgment of "You aren't what we were looking for", I then hope I ask for the benefit of other aspiring and interested writers who might frequent this fine community of gaming enthusiasts.

I know for myself I tend to like keeping my writing addiction to online posts such as these, which is only a tad bit kinder than rejection letters from publishers at times when another poster points out my terrible prose and logic. Oh man, should I even hit submit on this post ... ahh, why not? :D
Check it out! I finally figured out where to make a avatar that will fit on the forums! http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/
CanadianWolverine
Cutest. Baby. Evar.
Cutest. Baby. Evar.

Postby shipwreck » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:38 pm

http://tbe.taleo.net/NA5/ats/careers/re ... =1&rid=609

I'm in the same boat as you, Wolvie, as I expressed in my email to Fade. Who knows, maybe they'll put us in a game of NS Combat and let us fight to the death to get the job. That's a fair measure of writing experience, right?
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby Darwin » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:05 am

"That woman was sexy...Out of your league? Son. Let women figure out why they won't screw you, don't do it for them."

Fade, very cool of you to swing by with these offers!
MeatSpace: David
NS-Darwin
Now Serving 16450
:shock:
"Because keeping people advised requires helpfulness but running a server requires spite."
Darwin
Carnifex of the Akimbo Smoking Guns

Postby Fade Dunaway » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:26 am

If you apply, the worst we can say is "no!" :) jobs@arena.net is the place to send you resume and writing samples.

One confusion about this job I keep hearing is that people don't realize is that it's in-house, junior-level work. You'd have to be in/move to Seattle.

Also Darwin, I'd totally hire the shitmydadsays guy if given half the chance :)
"Never hit a man with glasses. Use a bat instead."

AKA Alcoholocaust
Fade Dunaway
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Darwin » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:05 pm

Ha. I knew someone would place that!

Really though, you should hire his dad :)
MeatSpace: David
NS-Darwin
Now Serving 16450
:shock:
"Because keeping people advised requires helpfulness but running a server requires spite."
Darwin

Postby mooseman » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:17 pm

OMG thank you very much for Shitmydadsays. Awesome.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
mooseman
Swamp Donkey Overlord
Swamp Donkey Overlord

Return to Discussions