Bang for my Buck

Posts and discussions about serious/illuminating/interesting topics.

Re: Bang for my Buck

Postby pr0phetik_dreamz » Tue May 18, 2010 7:02 pm

BTW, on that Xigmatek HSF, they were pretty good bang for buck in the last two-three years, especially that exact series.

To re-secure the fan, you'll want to tug on the rubber nipples with a pair of needle nosed pliers gently. Then when there is some space between the nipple and the HSF, use a small screwdriver, insert the shaft into the opening, and push it out laterally.

Clocking the CPU, make sure you've got really good thermal compound and that it's spread evenly (like with an index card or credit card). You'll also want to check internal ambient temperature after the initial burn-in, and if it's too hot, create a ghetto fan duct with some cardboard and duct tape to help guide the HSF's exhaust to the case's exhaust fan (case has a 120mm exhaust right?).

The HD 4870 is a great choice! You can probably get a HD 4890 nowadays for a pretty cheap/similar price tbh... the 4890's are slightly higher clocked 4870's. Cream of the crop, so they run cooler as well. I'm running a HD 5870 now, but those are still a bit pricey for more than 1.5x the performance (~400).
An Original American Pai
pr0phetik_dreamz
the Chivalrous Cybernetics Lover

Postby shipwreck » Wed May 19, 2010 6:46 am

Your expertise is appreciated as always!
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby pr0phetik_dreamz » Fri May 21, 2010 9:16 pm

A great upgrade would be at an Intel Core i7-930 with an ATi HD 4890/ HD 5870. The i7-930 can be pretty easily overclocked past 4GHz on air which makes it a pretty good bang for buck, and it costs about $300 or so. 4 core, 8 threads of goodness. No reason to buy an eXtreme version CPU ;)

I was tinkering with the new AMD Phenom II X6 hexacore CPUs and they are pretty good for the price, though their performance is only about as good as an Intel i7-930, stock for stock. Depending on your application of the rig, the Phenom II X6 is pretty good for multi-core intensive apps, such as databases. Definitely something to look into.

AMD's lost a lot of their previous technology leader luster, and I'll see how they can recover in the next few years... It seems they are pushing into cornering the low to mid end market with Fusion, and they pretty much own all market segments in the GPU sector with ATi, which may be smart. Intel can sell a lot of high-margin, high-end processors, but the truth is those are halo products that don't move much in terms of inventory. nVidia has also screwed up quite a bit with their development and engineering and can't possibly hope to catch up with ATi. nVidia got a lot of their partners who hopped onto the ION embedded platform bail on them, and their Tesla high performance computing initiative is stalling pretty badly. By the time nVidia fixes the GeForce GTX 480 and ships any substantial number, ATi will already be hop-scotching ahead with the HD 6xxx series early next year.
An Original American Pai
pr0phetik_dreamz

Postby shipwreck » Sat May 22, 2010 5:12 pm

Interesting!

Things are on hold atm because I wound up with an unsolvable disk read error at boot. Can't format and reinstall Windows, can't get past the error. From the little I've read, some say it is the SATA cable but I reckon I will just get a whole new HDD.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby mooseman » Mon May 24, 2010 3:05 pm

You might think about getting a USB external enclosure for your new "extra" hard drive. I have one, and it's very handy for moving to new computers, testing...
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
mooseman
Swamp Donkey Overlord
Swamp Donkey Overlord

Postby shipwreck » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:10 am

Thanks to necessity, I wound up getting a slightly flashier gpu (GTX460 768m) and it's working out nicely, though I fear the psu might be hating life at present...

Anyways, I'm raising funds for a new compy and I'm thinking of buying a cheap refurbished machine and injecting it with a nice gpu and a SSD. There's a decent looking one at my local Microcenter on the cheap but it has a core i3 (3.06ghz). I'm wondering if any of you know if this is worth it or if I should just drop the loot on a core i7 for a machine that will last me a bit longer.

Note, I've not been doing much gaming of late and am actually trying to cut back. The main thing is that I want a nicer desktop to use while I bequeath my older one (which is still nice) to mrs. shipwreck for our LotRO time. So on the one hand I don't need a cutting edge machine, but on the other it seems like a waste if I don't buy/build a compy that won't be able to play the latest games in two years time.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby Beasty » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:32 am

If you can afford to go big a the sandy bridge intel CPU are crazy. You just have to wait till March for them to release the new mobos.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819115070

The 'K' at the end means its unlock. People are getting 4.2 on air.
St0nkingByte wrote:I want a plugin where you can mount a skulk on the back of a gorge. When you do that the gorge only moves half as fast but the skulk can swivel around and fire 100 parasites a second.
Beasty
Fogey
Fogey

Postby pr0phetik_dreamz » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:20 pm

Yeah I agree with Beasty... I would wait for a Sandy Bridge CPU too. Even at only dual-channel DDR3, they are pretty beastly.

The high-end Sandy Bridge E (i7-9xx replacements) won't be out until the end of the year though. But those are out of most people's budget. It's kind of retarded because while the CPU or the Mobo are affordable (~$300 apiece), combined they are a pretty penny. But Sandy Bridge E will have a quad-channel DDR3 controller, so I think I'll wait until that refresh before upgrading myself.
An Original American Pai
pr0phetik_dreamz

Postby shipwreck » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:10 am

I'm all but salivating over that thing but it's definitely out of my price range :cry:
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Previous

Return to Discussions