Domain names and Websites, Oh My!

Posts and discussions about serious/illuminating/interesting topics.

Domain names and Websites, Oh My!

Postby The Nighthawk » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:34 am

Howdy folks.

I'm here, hat in hand, looking for some help and instruction. If I wish to purchase a domain name, preferably one name with multiple extensions (ie. .com, .net, .org) where should I go to do this for the best price/service/value?

Next, I'm not sure if I plan on using a free service like blogspot to actually run content, and just have my domain point to it, or whether I want to set up my own site on a hosting service, so any thoughts on this process would be welcome. I'm ready to commit some time to learning about these options so feel free to ramble about them, and point me at other websites. I haven't been involved in about 4 years in this kind of stuff, and even then I was certainly no expert, so I'm coming at it with a Beginner's Mind, open to everything.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers,

Gareth
A person who won't think has no advantage over someone who can't think
The Nighthawk
Dagger, Shield, CLAW!!!
Dagger, Shield, CLAW!!!

Re: Domain names and Websites, Oh My!

Postby Niteowl » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:34 pm

I use http://www.namecheap.com/, they are good, cheap, and aren't shady and emblazoned with the mark of the devil like, say ,GoDaddy.

I just point my domain at blogger, and I'm done. Haven't had much experience/use with DNS servers and whatnot, though, sorry.
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

Postby mooseman » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:02 pm

I second the motion of Namecheap.

And as far as hosting goes...tell us more about what you want to do with your site?
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
mooseman
Swamp Donkey Overlord
Swamp Donkey Overlord

Postby The Nighthawk » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:43 pm

Part of the problem is I don't really know what the site will turn out as. It could be part blog/article driven, with a lot of references, links, and stuff.

Basically I'm just going to try something and then see how much time I actually have for it to see what comes out of it. The entire concept is fuzzy, so I'm starting to ask questions to see if the answers start giving me some focus.

The catastrophic results will be shared here naturally. :mrgreen:
The Nighthawk
Dagger, Shield, CLAW!!!
Dagger, Shield, CLAW!!!

Postby Florp Incarnate » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:44 pm

You could always start a blogspot and not spend any money.
Florp Incarnate
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord

Postby mooseman » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:37 pm

Blogspot, Wordpress.com, and Google sites are all free.

Your own domain can be pointed at all three.

There's also Tumblr, Facebook Pages.

If you want to host a website, you have a world of scripts and types to choose from. Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal, Fork...and on and on.

That's the problem we have, in giving you advice. There are so many different content management systems, all made for slightly different purposes.

Ask more questions then?
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
mooseman
Swamp Donkey Overlord
Swamp Donkey Overlord

Postby Niteowl » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:11 pm

The tech bit is relatively easy compared to the dark and shadowy billowing cloud of despair that is the Creative Grind. So, I'd suggest just use some free service (tumblr/blogger/whatever), and try and churn some stuff out. If you can keep it up regularly and it doesn't grind you into a soulless wraith of your former self, then yeah, go whole hog on your rolling your own tech.
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl

Postby The Nighthawk » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:38 pm

See, I WAS asking the wrong questions! More here later when I've finished a little exploring and need more inpiration, errrr help.
The Nighthawk
Dagger, Shield, CLAW!!!
Dagger, Shield, CLAW!!!

Postby mooseman » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:11 pm

Looking forward to further details.

:popcorn:
mooseman
Swamp Donkey Overlord
Swamp Donkey Overlord

Return to Discussions