No more TF2 updates this year

No more TF2 updates this year

Postby Ni » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:34 pm

According to Planet Half-Life, Valve is shifting to Left 4 Dead mode...and won't be releasing any more TF2 updates this year (but will get back to work on TF2 after L4D is released). http://planethalflife.gamespy.com/fullstory.php?id=154453

Also, it sounds like the L4D demo will be out the first part of Nov. I can't wait!!!!
Nothing makes a woman angrier than a sleeping man. --Anon
Ni
He Who Demands Shrubberies Uncouthly
He Who Demands Shrubberies Uncouthly

Re: No more TF2 updates this year

Postby BigDXLT » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:11 pm

I saw that too...

Being told that we won't get an update for at least two and half months while they release another big project just got me to thinking about how spoiled we must be when that is newsworthy.

It also got me to thinking, I read about worries about L4D not having much content for a $50 game, with only 5 campaigns or something, but if TF2 was any indication, L4D is gonna probably be getting a bunch more stuff over time too.

I can't wait to try that demo.
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby shipwreck » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:23 pm

Here here! Hear hear?

Though I can't say I'm not disappointed to hear that we won't see "Meet the Medic" this year.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby shipwreck » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:47 am

Liar!

http://teamfortress.com/post.php?id=2096
Hey good job, there, hardhat
December 10, 2008 - Robin Walker

We've been pretty quiet lately, but thankfully, that's about to end. In the next few days we'll have an update out that has a couple of new features for the Engineer and Spy, and a variety of other smaller fixes.

* Teleporters will be upgradeable to level 3. As the teleporter is upgraded, the cooldown will decrease.
* Dispensers will be upgradeable to level 3. They will heal faster and generate metal faster as they are upgraded.
* Spies will be able to recharge their cloaking ability by picking up ammo off of the ground.
* We've made a bunch of minor changes by adding particle systems and upgrading the HUD to show things like deaths by critical hits, players that are overhealed, and giving more information to medics when people are calling for them.

These are just to work on some class balance and depth issues that we've seen in the wild with these two classes, but aren't meant to replace their entire class packs. They will be getting more attention further down the road.

While that's in testing, we're off working on several things that folks have been emailing us about, so we thought it'd be good to provide some detail:

* The next class pack will be the Scout. One of the main goals we're focusing on for him has been to provide tools that make him useful in maps like Dustbowl & Goldrush. If you have any ideas for what you think would work well, post them over on the Team Fortress 2 Forum and we'll take a look.
* We are actively working on a massive XBox 360 update, which will include pretty much everything we've shipped on the PC in the last year. We'll provide you with a rough date when we have one.
* We're also working on bringing over a variety of engine improvements from Left 4 Dead into the TF2 engine, but it won't be a wholesale replacement of the engine. This means we'll get some of L4D's performance improvements, like the better multicore support, but not all of them. For example, we can't bring over some improvements without dropping support for DX8, which we're not prepared to do.

Checked this out and it's pretty cool - the level 3 dispenser looks great! Somehow I wish this was saved for an Engi update but I suspect something even better will be in the works for that. Looking forward to the Scout getting some love as well!
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby Fade Dunaway » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:27 am

Me too, I'm surprised the Scout wasn't one of the last updates they do since it's already popular and powerful.

Go go Spy!
"Never hit a man with glasses. Use a bat instead."

AKA Alcoholocaust
Fade Dunaway
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Feyd Rautha » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:17 pm

I keep seeing the overheal animation and thinking 'spy!'
Feyd
(!wired)?(coffee++):(wired);
xbox360,PS3,skype: othermark
http://twitter.com/atkin901
Feyd Rautha
Best. Mic. Evar.
Best. Mic. Evar.

Return to Marx's Class Warfare (TF2 Forum)