Valve starts nuking people using "idling" apps to get items

Valve starts nuking people using "idling" apps to get items

Postby Ni » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:25 pm

Over the next few days we'll be removing all TF2 items that were earned using external idling applications. We're going to adopt a zero tolerance policy for external applications used to manipulate the persistent item system. Due to us not having a policy in place prior to today, this time we're only removing the items earned through cheating the system. Going forward, if we find users using external applications, we'll remove all of their items. If you're interested, only about 4.5% of the players in TF2's community will be affected by this cleansing process.

Meanwhile, everyone who took the moral high road will soon be finding a new hat in their inventory. We've also significantly increased the chance of finding any of the existing hats.

We realize there is a high level of demand for items, and we're still working on systems to allow you to find them in new ways (via Trading, and crafting duplicates into desired items). However, we need to draw the line at running external applications.

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=2787

Woo hoo! Everyone that didn't do it gets a hat!
Nothing makes a woman angrier than a sleeping man. --Anon
Ni
He Who Demands Shrubberies Uncouthly

Re: Valve starts nuking people using "idling" apps to get items

Postby Ni » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:30 pm

Looks like they warned people a while ago too....http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=2293
Nothing makes a woman angrier than a sleeping man. --Anon
Ni

Postby Gimp » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:07 pm

Their system is broken. Less broken than when it was for gameplay altering items, but it's still flawed. Maybe they should make it less broken and they wouldn't have this problem. Even selling hats would be better. I wouldn't buy any but it's still better. Lets face it if they put in trading hats are going on sale the next day.

Just as a note I do have a halo. It's broken too (don't put it on your spy).
Gimp
Blink!
Blink!

Postby BigDXLT » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:41 pm

Ha!

I figured they'd be able to find the idlers easily enough. I noticed a while back in the tf2 stats for a couple of our friendly neighborhood idlers that their actual hours per character weren't increasing. For example it would say they "played 200 hours last week" and highest character time was "10 hours" or something to that effect.

I'll bet thats exactly the reason the "trading" thing hasn't been enabled yet Gimp. I figure they should increase the probability of hat drops, saturate the "market" like all the other weapons are, and only the idiots will buy this gear. Seriously, I have plenty of jars of piss to give away. Here, catch! Want a sandvich? A new watch? A backburner? (Ha, just kidding, I delete those on sight.)

I think the best way to fix the system would be if you kill someone with an item, you get a bonus chance of getting that item yourself, but only if you don't already have it.
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby Gimp » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:03 pm

Gonna love the days when you see WTT BOWLER FOR TOP HAT PST in all chat on half the servers. Well it will probably be steam group spam instead, so that will be fun. FPS games aren't meant for shitty mmo staples (no game is).
Gimp
Blink!
Blink!

Return to Marx's Class Warfare (TF2 Forum)