Eye Spy (achtung Owleh!)

Eye Spy (achtung Owleh!)

Postby shipwreck » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:14 pm

So I've finally taken some time to get better with the Gentleman Scoundrel and (now that I suck less) I'm quite enjoying it. But I want to suck even less! I had a great run today and opened the last two milestones so I've finally unlocked the Cloak & Dagger (somehow it never dropped for me), but I'm trying to figure out which Spyware to use in which scenarios and who, what, and how.

Basically, I need to finesse the most finesse-centric class in the game. Even little things like, how do I know exactly when I'm cloaked and when they can see me? Any tips are appreciated! I leave you with this...

shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Re: Eye Spy (achtung Owleh!)

Postby BigDXLT » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:48 pm

GOGOGO UBERED SPY! Probably nothing in the game is more satisfying than getting ubered by an enemy medic. When I was first playing the class, I asked Niteowl how he could stand dying so much. I think he just chuckled as he pulled his knife out of my back. I would later realize that the moments of satisfaction of being successful makes up for the hours of failure.

Basically, your arm is the indicator, you'll get a feel for it though. The nubbins might not recognize that ghostly bit, but anyone with a sore back will see it. The second thing those with swiss cheese backs will know as well is the sound. The dead ringer is worse than the other two for noise so if you plan to use it, expect to be running a fair ways past the enemy OR uncloaking in places where there is a lot of noise (ie, the front line.)

Using the different cloaks:

My favorite is the good old normal watch. I'll go into my tactics and strategy in a bit with it.

Dead ringer:
Great for front line/high traffic spying. I pretty much never use it, but I've good spies to successfully harass an opposing team. If you're going to be the second or third (or more*) spy on a team, go dead ringer. The dead ringer spy is a great kamikazee class and if you can switch to your watch fast enough after you sap, you can be effective at harassing an enemy base or chokepoint. Remember that picking up metal recharges it so you can reuse it again.

Cloak and Dagger:
For the patient, behind enemy lines type. You can't run far, but if you can stand, uh, standing still, this is a great tool. Most spies who use this will sit near the enemy spawn and hit tele's over and over, backstabbing the occasional loner that runs out of spawn. They can be a good scout (nyuk) and tell the team interesting facts about the opposing team, like what class their spy is running around as, or how many medics, teles, whatever they have. Probably a good one to learn on simply because you learn to be efficient with your movements and the backfield** is usually pretty light on spy checking.
I kamikazee too much to be effective with this so I may as well use...

Ye Normal Watch what Ye Valve Gods gives ye:
My favorite. A lot of people don't use it, but you can move fast through the pack, invisible the whole way. I memorize*** the location of every metal pack and usually go from one end of a map to the other non stop without blinking (if I can avoid incoming fire). It's quieter than the dead ringer, and I figure half the time the other team knows that they just killed a dead ringer spy anyway and will keep checking.

Use enemy teles before you sap'em. My favorite addition since the game was released. Usually the backdoor to the enemies impenetrable sentry nest is a tele.

Use your team as bait. People will shoot at the enemy they can see. If you plan to run around disguised as the enemy, make sure they are more focused on your teammates. Bored enemies will spy check more than ones dodging bullets.

Obvious spies are obvious. Except for nubbins, most players don't trust teammates running toward them unless they are coming from direction of their own spawn. Don't stare at your mark as you run toward them if you have to walk in the direction of their spawn. It's amazing what kind of trust you can gain by turning your back on your "teammate". Don't risk walking into enemies though. Even glancing to the side and keeping your mark on the side of your screen will do the trick sometimes. If you *have* to go up the middle, yell for a medic and try to look like you're injured. Good medics are rarely fooled though...

Good medics can run you down. While that wrench will usually one shot you, and pyros are all kinds of bad news, medics are not to be taken lightly. Why? Because good medics are looking around. They aren't focusing on aiming at visible enemies so they'll be looking for the invisible/suspicious types, and uber saws will cut you down fast. That said, they are the most satisfying to kill.

Shoot the sniper. It's riskier, but it beats getting electrocuted by the razorback. The ambassador, given you head shot him the first time, will kill him on the second shot every time. Other than desperate moments when I'm running for my life, it's the only time I use my gun.

Spies can be effective at more than just sappin' them sentries and killing snipers. They can kill that waiting uber (possibly making that medic switch classes!) and the biggest strategy is they can put doubt into the other team. Teles always down? Have to run? They'll be cursing their engies. Pyros will be wasting time searching the backfield instead of helping on the front line. Hitting sentry nests can cause the defensive team to collapse into a group letting offense move closer.

*A note on spy counts. If you see two spies on your team, don't go spy. Too much spyage results in more spy checkage. You and your spy teammates end up dancing around more pyros. Two spies can be most effective if they either coordinate, or go solo on different areas of a map. Actually a rule of thumb is that you can have one spy per 100 yards of playable map space. Badwater is a good multi-spy map. Dustbowl or Goldrush, 2 tops. If you're going to be the third wheel, go dead ringer at least and let the other spies play the backfield while you keep pyros busy in the front lines. I just switch to another class usually.

**Backfield. The spy playground. It's the area between the current control point being fought over and the enemy spawn. It gets nice and open when they get teles.

***Practice.

Edit: Check here, lots of info! http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Spy_strategy
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby shipwreck » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:54 am

BigDXLT wrote:GOGOGO UBERED SPY! Probably nothing in the game is more satisfying than getting ubered by an enemy medic. When I was first playing the class, I asked Niteowl how he could stand dying so much. I think he just chuckled as he pulled his knife out of my back. I would later realize that the moments of satisfaction of being successful makes up for the hours of failure.

This!

It's a lesson I've only recently learned: a few successful backstabs puts my headspace back on the even keel. The best was earning the 'Dr. Nooooooooo!' achievement. It's funny because my Spy time was at less than 4 hours recently but I had achieved 14 points in one round. My wife saw this and said, "You did so good with Spy! Not so much with Scout..." because my Scout time is at about 20 hours and I don't think I've gotten more than 10 points in a round. Kamikaze and all. I'm not sure she understood that those were points per round and not overall points...

Thankee! Good tips there, especially the part about the Dead Ringer, which still kind of has me stumped a bit.

While I'm starting to love the Cloak n' Dagger I'm definitely with you on the basic Watch; it's too nice being able to pick up metals and recharge your cloak.

Tanks again.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby Niteowl » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:28 am

BigD was pretty darn thorough. The only thing I'll add is CLOAK FIRST THEN DISGUISE. Doing it the other way around creates a massive smoke trail that gives you away for a looong time.
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

Postby shipwreck » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Ah, I see. Somehow I thought costuming whilst cloaked also showed smoke.

Good to know.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby BigDXLT » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:36 pm

SUPER IMPORTANT PRO TIP I NEARLY FORGOT: If you run around cloaked as one of your teammates (ie, your actual color) remember to change to the enemies colors before you try to sap/stab/etc.

Otherwise it's a /facepalm everytime. :rolleyes:
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT

Postby shipwreck » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:47 am

BigDXLT wrote:SUPER IMPORTANT PRO TIP I NEARLY FORGOT: If you run around cloaked as one of your teammates (ie, your actual color) remember to change to the enemies colors before you try to sap/stab/etc.

Otherwise it's a /facepalm everytime. :rolleyes:

Guilty!
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Return to Marx's Class Warfare (TF2 Forum)