Mannconomy

Mannconomy

Postby shipwreck » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:18 pm

The forum subtitle takes a whole new meaning...

http://www.teamfortress.com/mannconomy/

So I can finally buy my own towering pillar of hattes!

I haven't read the FAQ very thoroughly or visited the store yet so I cannot accurately comment, but I can say that I've always felt torn about TF2's adoption of MMO game mechanics (crafting/achievements/class loadouts). Why? I don't know and I never will. And that's a Mann Co. company promise!

Thoughts?
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Re: Mannconomy

Postby BigDXLT » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:29 pm

I only JUST heard about this and have ALREADY received my Gorilla, pampered and ready to FIGHT me! Now that is SERVICE.

Also: I think it's a GREAT addition, even though I'll continue to get FREE stuff the hard way, with my BARE HANDS. The new items look neato, and I like the addition of sets, though it'll be the snotty rich HIPPIES with them long before I get one. Snipers won't be looking forward to countering their SET WEARING counterparts, but if it gets them to stop wearing the RAZORBACK, I look forward to the suckers BUYING spy bait!

And on the topic of spies, the new KNIFE intrigues ME. It's a BOLD spy that will rock that SET.

END OF SENTENCE PUNCH!
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby mooseman » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:39 pm

I love the graphic design of the TF2 brand. LOVE IT! I want to marry it.

Apparently it's been a long time since I played TF2. When did it become an MMO? I mean, you go up levels now? They have gear sets? I'm confused. /

I'm glad they've kept working on it though. Developing new stuff. That's cool.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
mooseman
Swamp Donkey Overlord
Swamp Donkey Overlord

Postby shipwreck » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:00 am

The first "MMOish" content came with the class updates, which gave you new gear unlocked by achievements (you know that though); this was not terribly MMOish as many games have adapted the system. The "levels" on the gear seem to mean nothing. I've always taken them to be a joke.

Then came more unlockables, hats, and a crafting system.

Now the store gives you armor sets, which is very MMOish...and a store, which is as MMOish as it gets especially since LotRO and EQ2 both went free-to-play this month with stores (actually EQ2 may not have a store).

But, yes, it's amazing and astounding to me that they have kept up with this three years hence -- especially since L4D only got one content update and then the sequel treatment.

And I've just remembered I lost interest in this conversation five minutes ago. Time to piledrive some hippies.

Oh, and D I thought you would go for a Saxton Hale avatar. Way to throw us a curve with the ape avatar. I trust he gave you the rights to use his visage after you punched him through a wall.

EDIT: One other thought ~ people have been talking about the "MMOFPS" for ages but I've yet to see a breakthrough (save maybe Planetside, but that's always been a very niche game). Maybe this is the groundwork for one? I suspect it might be more like a FPSRPG, as it's more about gear and less about level grinds and a massive scale. Who knows what the future holds!
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby BigDXLT » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:08 am

:wink:
BigDXLT

Postby shipwreck » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:39 am

The blue prints for the new items are already on the wiki as well, so I can go home and make one of these...

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Your_Eternal_Reward
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby mooseman » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:30 pm

Yeah, I felt pretty ripped off by the LFD2 sequel, after seeing how much love TF2 got over the years.

But it's good for TF2. I am always a little sad when a good game goes out with the tide. So, the attention they have been devoting to TF2 is great for keeping a good game current.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
mooseman
Swamp Donkey Overlord
Swamp Donkey Overlord

Postby BigDXLT » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:20 pm

So the new knife is fun. The first kill is hard to get, and sentry happy engies can counter you hard, BUT, getting ubered twice in a row by the same medic after taking his heavy (and him not noticing) is so incredibly awesome, it's difficult to put into words. And for him to both times ALLCAPS in chat to start ripping into the heavy that walked through the red base without shooting while he was ubered. Oh, it was so mean, but I was nearly in tears laughing. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

That said, you change identities so fast, the other team doesn't know what hit them and you walk away from a kill without being suspected. It's such a great twist, it's entirely reversed the disguise/kill mechanic of the role. You really rely on the the cloak and hiding in corners to get the first kill. There's a huge risk, but the reward can be substantially better.

And I didn't even have to buy it, craft it or trade for it. My first drop after the update!
BigDXLT

Postby Niteowl » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:37 pm

BigDXLT wrote:My first drop after the update!

SOOO JEALOUS.
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

Postby BigDXLT » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:40 pm

Niteowl, if you haven't got one next week (I'm currently crappy laptoping it at a crappy motel with crappy wifi) I'll see if I can craft one to trade you if you like.

Also: I like the trading ability, that's handy!
BigDXLT

Postby Niteowl » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:51 am

Through a series of trading and crafting, I've made the knife myself! Thanks for the offer though. So far it's meh. Nothing really beats the default load-out for spy, for me anyways.
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl

Postby shipwreck » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:48 am

I do love the Cloak n Dagger, though it gets me into trouble. sometimes.

I did revert back to the vanilla revolver; I just can't seem to get headshots often enough to justify using the Ambassador, even though it looks 10x cooler.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby Niteowl » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:31 pm

shipwreck wrote:I do love the Cloak n Dagger, though it gets me into trouble. sometimes.

I did revert back to the vanilla revolver; I just can't seem to get headshots often enough to justify using the Ambassador, even though it looks 10x cooler.

Yeah, the C&D is a distance second to the default watch,for my style. And the ambassador both looks and sounds a million times cooler, but I can never hit with it.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl

Postby BigDXLT » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:39 pm

I'm finding I switch to the new knife in certain situations. Payload maps seem to work well. I think just because sentries aren't so entrenched in specific spots (particularly blue ones...). Plus, it works great against teams that are grouped up. I've never had so much success with group kills.
BigDXLT

Postby shipwreck » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:54 am

BigDXLT wrote:I'm finding I switch to the new knife in certain situations. Payload maps seem to work well. I think just because sentries aren't so entrenched in specific spots (particularly blue ones...). Plus, it works great against teams that are grouped up. I've never had so much success with group kills.

You talk this thing up so well, I want to try it!

Too bad Civ 5 is ruining my life...
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Next

Return to Marx's Class Warfare (TF2 Forum)