Discuss all things NS and NS2 in here!

Discuss all things NS and NS2 in here!

Postby BigDXLT » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:47 pm

Whenever ya ain't playing TF2 anyway...
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Re: Discuss all things NS and NS2 in here!

Postby Beasty » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:29 pm

St0nkingByte wrote:I want a plugin where you can mount a skulk on the back of a gorge. When you do that the gorge only moves half as fast but the skulk can swivel around and fire 100 parasites a second.
Beasty
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Niteowl » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:49 pm

I've had a hankering to play some of the unbalanced yet atmospheric maps (hera, nancy, bast), sigh, alas, no servers play those maps anymore. It's all eclipse, veil, tanith, *siege, and CO!!!
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

Postby BigDXLT » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:50 pm

The hive commander sounds pretty cool to me.

DEPLOYIGN BABBLAR TURRENTZ!!!!!!1111

That new hive concept looks great too.

Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT

Postby mooseman » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:28 pm

Oh Yeah, that looks awesome. Can't wait to pump some #00 into one of those!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
mooseman
Swamp Donkey Overlord
Swamp Donkey Overlord

Postby Niteowl » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:38 pm

Their concept artist is amaaaazing.
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl

Postby Beasty » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:14 pm

They were talking about the glow of the hive, I think it would be interesting to have the alien commander's silhouette in it.
St0nkingByte wrote:I want a plugin where you can mount a skulk on the back of a gorge. When you do that the gorge only moves half as fast but the skulk can swivel around and fire 100 parasites a second.
Beasty
Fogey
Fogey

Postby JDawg » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:18 am

Been listening to the podcasts. Some very interesting ideas (http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/), I just hope they don't go too far with extra ideas. I'd be happy with a plain old source version of the old NS with a few tweaks. Like they did with CS and DoD.

Don't fix something that ain't broke.
University of Utah alumni and proud of it. GO UTES!!
JDawg-OldF
JDawg
Lexiconally Diverse!!
Lexiconally Diverse!!

Postby Frosty Topaz » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:36 am

I'd be content with that... but not really happy.

Some of the things they're putting in (dynamic infestation for example) are really cool. Plus they have an impact (possibly quite subtle) on gameplay. Marines may not need to see the actual hive to know a hive is there, just the profuse infestation. I just hope knock back on skulks isn't too bad... it'd be really hard to rush marines that can hold you back with bullets alone.
Frosty Topaz

It isn't easy being ice-encrusted aluminum silicate flouride hydroxide...
Frosty Topaz
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Beasty » Sat May 10, 2008 7:47 am

Beasty
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Dreya » Sat May 10, 2008 9:35 pm

I shudder at the thought of marines being able to buy their own weapons.
Biting and clawing.
My armor, pitted and worn
Save me, dear welder!
Dreya
Fogey
Fogey

Postby pr0phetik_dreamz » Sun May 11, 2008 3:56 pm

Dreya wrote:I shudder at the thought of marines being able to buy their own weapons.

Yeah, I can already see the whole team buying themselves GLs every single round.

And then promptly dieing and whining that their killer was a hacker.
An Original American Pai
pr0phetik_dreamz
the Chivalrous Cybernetics Lover

Postby CanadianWolverine » Sun May 11, 2008 6:24 pm

Such doom and gloom! Such half glass empty! :roll:

Come on now, the same is true of games of TF2 where everyone goes medic or some other silliness. Besides, TF2 doesn't have tech/bio trees ;) There are ways it could be good, especially no more whining to the Commander for a shot gun/HMG/whatever, and there are ways it can be bad.

IMHO, making such an essential component that makes the RTS parts of NS happen, the Commander, more hassle free so games never go without a Commander ("Hey, is anyone going to Comm?" "Hell no, I ain't getting in that chair unless I have to" "Great... Kharaa already have a third or more the map resources and we don't even have IPs yet - Everyone F4") can only be a good thing. :D
Check it out! I finally figured out where to make a avatar that will fit on the forums! http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/
CanadianWolverine
Cutest. Baby. Evar.
Cutest. Baby. Evar.

Postby pr0phetik_dreamz » Mon May 12, 2008 5:28 pm

CanadianWolverine wrote:Such doom and gloom! Such half glass empty! :roll:

Each year that I count myself getting older, the more I've adopted a "I'll believe it when I see it" approach to things. Social situations, grades, work, technology, cars, girlfriends, sex, it's the same, so why should games be any different? ;) I hate to be all doubting Thomas about it, but optimism that *something* might turn out right just sets up myself for disappointment later on. If I'm indifferent about it, and it turns out to be great .. then well, I'll be pleasantly surprised, which may be a good thing.

What I do fear though, is the diluting of the core NS gameplay that made it fun; that is to say, the FPS mode vs the RTS mode. Marines by nature are supposed to listen to the commander, and if they don't then there cannot be a good game. A commander should have the ability to make strategic decisions regarding weapons allotment, ordering waypoints, and dropping structures. The marine's job is to take this input, execute the commander's orders, and make tactical decisions that he/she deems will allow himself/herself to successfully execute the commander's orders. A good commander will drop weapons to individuals who are better at shooting and aiming. Giving someone who can't shoot something that's 5 feet in front of them is just a waste of resources. After all, in my toolset, I use the crappy cheap tools for common tasks, and save the very expensive precision tools for jobs that warrant it. Why should I wear down the good set on everyday tasks? Send the crappy rines in as cannon fodder and resource/structure builders and use the good rines to provide cover fire.

I don't see how allowing individuals to "purchase" their own weapons to facilitate this paradigm. Because, based on my extensive pub play, I can tell you with near certainty that morons will go off and buy the highest powered weapons then promptly die, possibly compromising the ability of the *whole* team to win because they weren't at a certain location ordered by the commander at a given time.

I understand that the dev team is trying to make the game more "mainstream," but I'm sure they could think of other ways to do this, without bastardizing what made the game so amazing to begin with. Especially since they've got seed money now so financial constraints aren't as bad as they used to be for them. If they're going to let the FPS marines do anything they want to do, they might as well take it all the way and remake NS into a Combat only game, with a glorified "buildmenu" plugin that lets the marines drop whichever structures they want, themselves. Why need a commander to make decisions for the team? In a serious combat environment, such as a real warzone, if you don't follow the orders of your commander, you're court martialed, or worse, shot on sight. It takes discipline to perform as a team, and the leader of the team is the one that provides the focal point for the rest of the unit.

I can guarantee you that that when NS2 comes out and I own a server, I will go *Darwin* on said described individuals and perma-ban them on sight.
An Original American Pai
pr0phetik_dreamz

Postby Dreya » Mon May 12, 2008 8:11 pm

If anything, I think that the removal of weapons from the commander's tools will simply make his or her job less fun. As it is, it's difficult to find a commander in a classic game. To remove one of the few abilities that helps them determine what strategy they will execute and how just dumbs down the RTS aspect and makes them a glorified support class. I don't want the comm to become an engineer in the sky.
Biting and clawing.
My armor, pitted and worn
Save me, dear welder!
Dreya
Fogey
Fogey

Next

Return to Babblers and Turrentz and Scorpions that Hovar OH MY! (NS forum)