NS2 Server

NS2 Server

Postby Beasty » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:02 pm

I was wondering if there is any talk about someone putting up a NS2 server once the files are available. If no one is planning on doing it, I might just have to apply to join OldF and do it my self :wink:

I'm a sysadmin for a web start up so I have quite a bit of experience when it comes to server and managing them. If I were to run a server I would rent a VPS from Nuclear Fallout (~$40/m) which allows complete control over the server.

One full, dedicated HT CPU core (Core i7 or better)
1024 MB of RAM
100 GB of hard drive space
500 GB of InterNAP bandwidth transfer
One IP address

They say it can handle 1-3 servers, so I figure it would handle a single server fairly well.

I still need to do the research to figure out what all the differences are between running a VPS compared to renting a game server in terms of support from NFO.
St0nkingByte wrote:I want a plugin where you can mount a skulk on the back of a gorge. When you do that the gorge only moves half as fast but the skulk can swivel around and fire 100 parasites a second.
Beasty
Fogey
Fogey

Re: NS2 Server

Postby Darwin » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:08 pm

I'm sure you have some time Beasty ;)
MeatSpace: David
NS-Darwin
Now Serving 16450
:shock:
"Because keeping people advised requires helpfulness but running a server requires spite."
Darwin
Carnifex of the Akimbo Smoking Guns
Carnifex of the Akimbo Smoking Guns

Postby pr0phetik_dreamz » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:55 pm

I might think about buying NS2 and setting up a server when it comes out - *when* it comes out.

But yes, :supz: about Beasty applying!
An Original American Pai
pr0phetik_dreamz
the Chivalrous Cybernetics Lover
the Chivalrous Cybernetics Lover

Postby shipwreck » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:20 am

Time to get your Fogey credentials in order!

And I would gladly chip in once the game goes up, if needed.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby mooseman » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:23 pm

I always assumed that we'd have an NS2 server when it comes out.

Do those NFO servers have cpanel or anything on them?
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
mooseman
Swamp Donkey Overlord
Swamp Donkey Overlord

Postby Beasty » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:14 pm

NFO uses a custom made control panel. Which just allows you to manage your account for the most part. I don't believe they have any special software pre isntalled when it comes to there VPS/VDS/DS. Its pretty much a clean slate.
St0nkingByte wrote:I want a plugin where you can mount a skulk on the back of a gorge. When you do that the gorge only moves half as fast but the skulk can swivel around and fire 100 parasites a second.
Beasty
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Niteowl » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:32 am

When NS2 comes out, sometime when both my kids are in highschool, I can't imagine us NOT having an NS2 server. I've played NS a few times over the past month on pubbies, and just.. wow. Wow. I totally understand why OldF servers got a following.
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

Return to Babblers and Turrentz and Scorpions that Hovar OH MY! (NS forum)